Just started a game after being gone for awhile

Shirokiba

Pachirisu is a great support with Bide, Nuzzle and Super Fang. Volt absorb will make beating Julia very easy while Pickup can get you some useful items.

Trubbish is not trash nor rubbish. Actually, it's one of the best poison pokemon in the early game. Learns Toxic Spikes before level 10, and Acid Spray at 12, as well as Toxic at level 36, making it a great status spreader and support in general. You can even poison the second and third Tangrowth with Toxic Spikes.

The mystery egg is also something you must take into account. At some point after the second gym (don't want to spoiler), you will be given an egg with a random pokemon. All the 18 possible pokemon in the mystery egg are good additions to your team.

These were my two cents, other people will recomend you more pokemom I guess.

Julia is the first leader(electric type) , you can defeat her by just leveling up your pokemons. You can get either a Zigzagoon or a Pachirisu. The former is great learns most of the HMs and also has good speed, Pachirisu is also a good option in the early game. You can also get the gulpin or trubbish. They will help against Florinia (the second leader, Grass type), your starter will also be helpful in this battle.

There are some event Pokemons like tynamo , mareep , Espurr (You should get it,helpful against Corey and Kiki.), Numel , Whismur and Petilil.

Mahurita or Pancham will a great backup against Florinia. You can also get a Kling( good against poison leader Corey).

Hope I was helpful.

Lillipup is a nice early game attacker that you can get right before the second gym, coming with some pretty strong moves such as take down, and both of its evolutions are pretty early. It also sports a nice ability in Intimidate. (scrappy is kinda useless because it gets Crunch super early on, and Sand Rush isn't all that good in game) It doesn't exactly fall off in the later part of the game so you can use it all of the way through, but it does get outclassed later on.

Edited by Personthing

Don't forget Kricketot. Soft reset until you get one that has Run Away and raise it to level 10. BOOM! Technician Kricketune who can abuse the unholy Fury Cutter for some time. He'll carve up anything weak or neutral to Bug like it's nothing. He doesn't last in usefulness, but as long as you keep the rest of your team leveled he'll be a strong tool in your arsenal for the early game.

Okay, so been gathering some pokemon. My team, now, is

Roselia

Noibat

Torchic

Ekans

Zigzagoon

Trubbish

this is all I've gotten so far. Still on the look out for the others mentioned

Edit: I've just got to where I can get the Espurr that was mentioned, should I go for a Male (that gets Prankster) or Female (that gets Competitive)?

Edited by Shirokiba

It depends on what type of Pokemon you want, but I'd recommend getting a male meowstic with prankster because it can support for the entire play-through with prankster Light Screen + Reflect to help your team's defence specially and physically, as well as changing the field with priority Misty Terrain. Also, you can get a light clay from mining the rocks later which is even more beneficial and will help you a lot in gym battles. However, if you want a decent psychic type early on, a female one with infiltrator is good as it has great level up moves like shadow ball and psyshock.

Okay, so been gathering some pokemon. My team, now, is

Roselia

Noibat

Torchic

Ekans

Zigzagoon

Trubbish

this is all I've gotten so far. Still on the look out for the others mentioned

Edit: I've just got to where I can get the Espurr that was mentioned, should I go for a Male (that gets Prankster) or Female (that gets Competitive)?

You will be able to breed Pokemon to get both genders eventually, but I would go for Meowstic-M with Prankster, because as Shpee said, Prankster always has usefulness. Light Screen/Reflect, Thunder Wave, Misty Terrain, and a handful of other moves are/will be available, and you'll be able to simplify a few fights this way.

I'll have to breed a male one, then. I got the Female at the moment. So, Infiltrator is the better option for the female? Good thing I have an ability capsule. What is a good ability for Roselia? It has Poison Point right now.

Well, roselia and roserade are special attackers...so there are less chances of physical attacks and its not guaranteed that the opponent will be poisoned ....and as there are better ways to poison the opponent with toxic spikes and toxic...I will suggest Natural Cure ( it's god gifted, only the special ones have this ability.so use it), it will help from burn and paralysis.

Nature Cure. Sounds good. I'm still not sure what kinda team to aim for, mainly just grabbing some of the pokemon I like (waiting to get Magnemite, gonna probably be a long wait on that one) oh and Ralts, Gardevoir being one of my favorites since it came out.

Again, it's personal preference, but I like infiltrator because it can hit through substitutes and screens, but competitive is also a pretty good ability.

Well, thinking on it, I'll probably run into something in this game using screens and substitute.

I don't recall seeing a lot of substitutes but in later gyms *coughserracough* a lot of Pokemon known Light Screen or Reflect, so piercing those can come in handy.

Ah, Infiltrator will really come in handy, then.

I've just obtained a Cacnea, it has Water Absorb. It's Dark/Grass Evolution may be useful later, debating using it. Also, I'm also debating Nidoking, with Sheer Force.

Edit:

just got the mystery egg, it's an elekid egg. Well.... now I dunno if I wanna use that or Mareep.

Edited by Shirokiba