Mono-Bug Team Revamp

daigotsurezan

So, my mono-bug run has advanced itself to Agate Circus, and I decided to take a moment to get some opinions and rethink my team as I prepare for the future. Please note that I have JUST arrived at the Circus, so I will be exploring Route 2 and facing Samson soon. I COULD reload a save before the Point of No Return if I missed something essential, but I don't think I have. All questions or comments welcome.

First, the main team (currently all level 59):

Crustle (Hard Stone, Sturdy): Rock Slide/X-Scissor/Shell Smash/Stealth Rock.

The newest addition to the team, Crustle is here to help handle Flying, Bug and Normal types, as well as set up Stealth Rock. It's my first time using one in any Pokemon game, and he's a tough dude so far.

Galvantula (SilverPowder, Compoundeyes) Signal Beam/Discharge/Thunder Wave/Sticky Web.

A Pokemon whose best moves are lock behind unavailable TMs (when can I has Thunder? :( ), Galvantula is still a standout member of the party. He's often able to outspeed the enemy and drop Thunder Wave, Sticky Web, and then spam offensive moves with impunity. He's especially helpful because he (and until recently Crustle) are my only real line of defense against Flying-types.

Volcarona (Charcoal, Flame Body) Bug Buzz/Fiery Dance/Quiver Dance/Sunny Day.

Sweet sweet Volcarona, you were worth all the "meh" that was Larvesta. If I can set up, I sweep anything that doesn't resist both Bug and Fire. Not much else to say. I will eventually swap out Sunny Day for Hurricane, if and when I get my hands on Rain Dance (because the other bugs will appreciate weaker Fire attacks).

Leavanny (Rose Incense, Overcoat) Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Shadow Claw/Swords Dance.

A speedy little guy who has my best answer to Ghost-types and can also be a decent sweeper with a bit of setup time. My main answer to Water-types, given he can resist their moves as well.

Scolipede (Black Sludge, Speed Boost) Poison Tail/Megahorn/Iron Defense/Baton Pass.

A combination Baton Pass master/speed demon, Scolipede wins a spot on the current team due to his resistance to Fighting type moves. He'll pass off a bit of Speed and Defense to a sweeper for Samson to ensure I can get the first shot in. Desperately want Poison Jab to give him a little more power.

Durant (Wide Lens, Hustle) Iron Head/X-Scissor/Dig/Crunch.

Truck, hits like a. His moveset will improve a lot with future TMs and Tutors (oh how I want Superpower), but he can dish out damage to wide variety of types with this set. Will be utterly useless when I reach Charlotte.

I also have a few backup Pokemon that I will keep on hand to play around with:

Yanmega (Speed Boost)

Will probably replace Crustle at least temporarily against Samson, since I can now level him up enough to get a decent moveset (I'm thinking Ancient Power/U-Turn/Aerial Slash/Bug Buzz).

Shedinja (Wonder Guard)

The ultimate cheese factor. If 2-3 of a Gym Leader or other difficult boss's Pokemon can't damage him, he comes in to mess with them for a while. His current moveset is Shadow Claw/Bug Bite/Dig/Double Team. When I can return to Reborn I will be breeding a new one replacing Dig with Swords Dance.

Butterfree (Compoundeyes)

Not the strongest Bug in my arsenal, but he does get access to Quiver Dance and Psychic, so has the potential to be a strong team member against Samson.

Pinsir (Black Belt, Hyper Cutter) X-Scissor/Storm Throw/Rock Smash/Swords Dance

Storm Throw has been a lifesaver move, letting me use its automatic critical hits with Swords Dance to sweep anything that doesn't resist Fighting. With the help of Scolipede to Baton Pass him some speed and maybe Defense, he's a total boss. Currently sitting out while I train up other mons like Crustle, because I don't expect to have enough time to set up on upcoming trainers.

That seems pretty nice to me..

Keep in mind that Galvantula learns Ice beam..you can teach it (I'm not sure if the TM is available yet).

For Yanmega you can reteach it Detect to earn a free speed boost.

You can add a Escavalier...its just too good.

You have just become unstoppable with Volcarona by your side.Teach it a good Fire move.

Best of luck.

That seems pretty nice to me..

Keep in mind that Galvantula learns Ice beam..you can teach it (I'm not sure if the TM is available yet).

For Yanmega you can reteach it Detect to earn a free speed boost.

You can add a Escavalier...its just too good.

You have just become unstoppable with Volcarona by your side.Teach it a good Fire move.

Best of luck.

Volcarona has Fiery Dance, which has a 50% chance to boost Special Attack and has a base 80 power. It's terrifying.

I could also teach Yanmega Double Team, which is just cheesy.

Ice Beam TM is not yet available in game, sadly, or I would probably find room in Galvantula's set for it (because it's great coverage and I have NOTHING to take on Dragon types).

Escavalier is a slower version of Durant with access to Swords Dance; I'd rather just stick with the speedier Durant and take advantage of Hustle's attack boost. Besides, we all know he's just filling space until Ame lets me have Bug Lord Scizor.

Galvantula doesn't learn Ice Beam, only the Surskit line and Genesect do. Coming to think of it, aside from strong neutral hits, Bug types really have absolutely nothing to hit Dragon types with, so Saphira is going to be a pain in the butt once we get there (even more so since it's pretty much confirmed that Ice moves are going to be heavily nerfed by the field and as far as I know none of them learn Dragon or Fairy moves, aside from Volbeat and Illumise).

A Vivillon would've been very useful for Samson (90%+ accurate Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance, 90%+ accurate STAB Hurricane), I think it's better than Butterfree because it has the aforementioned Hurricane and higher speed so it can actually land a Sleep Powder before it's annihilated by a breeze blown towards it by the opposing Pokémon (though outspeeding the Hariyama Samson leads off with shouldn't be a concern for Butterfree either).

Good luck with Charlotte. With a Bug mono, you're going to need it.

Edit: also, if you don't mind E12 TM breeding, it is possible to breed Earthquake and Stone Edge onto Crustle, Energy Ball onto Galvantula, Poison Jab onto Scolipede and Hone Claws and Rock Slide onto Durant.

Edited by CMV

Galvantula doesn't learn Ice Beam, only the Surskit line and Genesect do. Coming to think of it, aside from strong neutral hits, Bug types really have absolutely nothing to hit Dragon types with, so Saphira is going to be a pain in the butt once we get there (even more so since it's pretty much confirmed that Ice moves are going to be heavily nerfed by the field and as far as I know none of them learn Dragon or Fairy moves, aside from Volbeat and Illumise).

A Vivillon would've been very useful for Samson (90%+ accurate Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance, 90%+ accurate STAB Hurricane), I think it's better than Butterfree because it has the aforementioned Hurricane and higher speed so it can actually land a Sleep Powder before it's annihilated by a breeze blown towards it by the opposing Pokémon (though outspeeding the Hariyama Samson leads off with shouldn't be a concern for Butterfree either).

Good luck with Charlotte. With a Bug mono, you're going to need it.

Edit: also, if you don't mind E12 TM breeding, it is possible to breed Earthquake and Stone Edge onto Crustle, Energy Ball onto Galvantula, Poison Jab onto Scolipede and Hone Claws and Rock Slide onto Durant.

For reference, I won't be doing any episode-hopping; it cheapens the experience IMO.

Vivillon isn't a bad idea, I have a Scatterbug sitting in my PC. I might try that if I have more problems.

As far as the Dragon-types go, I have ideas but it's gonna depend on Saphira's openers (and if it's singles or doubles). If I can paralyze the lead and get some setup/Baton Pass action, I'll be alright.

Or if Ame puts in Mega Evolution, I can get Mega Pinsir to soar to victory. :P

No rain dance? You will have a fun time with Charolette. I had to beat her by abusing Rain Dance and Water Sport. You can't get it once you get to Agate. But you should be able to exploit other strategies. Especially with that volc. You have most of the notable Bugs. Heracross is a great bug, very powerful, but if we get mega evolution next episode then Pinsir was the right choice.

Only other notable bugs you don't already have are venomoth ( ace sleepy time maker and quiver dancer and/or passer). Vivillion (Hurricaaaane), Volbeat/Illumuise (only really helpful at this point if you have Rain Dance anyway. But also good for encore). Masquerain, ONLY Bug with water attacks outside of Scolipede (move tutor aqua tail), armaldo (aqua jet meh) and Douse Drive Genesect. So yeah, basically the only way to use Hydro Pump, Scald, water sport, Ice beam .

But you look like you are doing great with your current team so don't sweat it.

Oh and don't forget Scyther! T_T

Edited by Zane0144

No rain dance? You will have a fun time with Charolette. I had to beat her by abusing Rain Dance and Water Sport. You can't get it once you get to Agate. But you should be able to exploit other strategies. Especially with that volc. You have most of the notable Bugs. Heracross is a great bug, very powerful, but if we get mega evolution next episode then Pinsir was the right choice.

Only other notable bugs you don't already have are venomoth ( ace sleepy time maker and quiver dancer and/or passer). Vivillion (Hurricaaaane), Volbeat/Illumuise (only really helpful at this point if you have Rain Dance anyway. But also good for encore). Masquerain, ONLY Bug with water attacks outside of Scolipede (move tutor aqua tail), armaldo (aqua jet meh) and Douse Drive Genesect. So yeah, basically the only way to use Hydro Pump, Scald, water sport, Ice beam .

But you look like you are doing great with your current team so don't sweat it.

Oh and don't forget Scyther! T_T

Oh crap, I forgot Rain Dance. Oh well, I'll probably find a way through Charlotte.

I could not for the life of me get a fossil to drop for Armaldo, or I'd have him in my backup instead of Crustle. Masquerain DOES have water attacks, but it can't really make good use of them. Venomoth fills much the same role as Butterfree, but a bit tankier, Volbeat/Illumise aren't really my style, and I will probably eventually retrain Volcarona for Hurricane (because QD/Hurricane is hilarious). the move tutor for Aqua Tail isn't in game yet or you bet I'd slap that on Scolipede.

And yes, I too eagerly await the day that Scizor and Genesect can join my team. :)

Galvantula doesn't learn Ice Beam,

OMG that's a horrible mistake,my apologies.but may be there was a ice beaming Galvantula in another game,but no, for the record it doesn't learn.

It seems that hidden power Ice is your only option left for the dragons.You wll need it before Saphira,Terra has a Garchomp.

And levanny has only access to a grass type move....Terra can be hard.But I think you have some plans.

Best of Luck.

I'm waiting for Scizor too.