About Pokémon Uranium situation

BBD

Nintendo has to take legal action to preserve their copyrights and trademarks. Those intellectual properties that we love are what keeps them in business, and the law is set up in such a way that "allowing" people to do this kind of thing will invalidate your ownership of the IP.

Don't you find it a teeny tiny suspicious that Nintendo went ahead and tried to crack down on the whole Mario romhack scene just before the release of Mario Maker? To me it looks like they were afraid romhacks would hurt the sales of Mario Maker, and thus they tried to remove the scene from the equation for monetary reasons.

And NO there is absolutely no legal groundwork to remove reviews of Nintendo Games from Youtube, Let's Play's with commentary on Youtube nor Speedrunning videos on Youtube. These do not in any way conflict with copyright law, but still Nintendo decided to use their draconian Youtube policies because they were afraid that it would hurt their profit.

Honestly, they may say this is to protect their IP, but in reality it's to protect their profits (and even a failed attempt at that since it's hurting their sales).

There's no winner here it's as simple as that.

As much as we hate nintendo/gamefreak/whoever for enforcing their copyright, They have no choice.

IP Laws+ that whole nonsense force them to so they don't lose future claims etc. Plus the bad PR they get for taking down a fan's work.

They are doing this to protect their profits, but only from future losses etc. Because most people who played pokemon uranium are longtime pokefans.

Pokemon uranium suffers obviously, but this will get people to play it more simply because it has more awareness and the "DO NOT DO THE THING" warning.

it sucks for everyone, but hey....It wasn't reborn.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think copyrights to these franchises need to last significantly less time to prevent companies like Nintendo from bullying innovation out of existence.

Uhhh... Pretty sure it's Disney that goes to court when their copyrights are about to expire to get the time limit universally extended. Don't fire shots at Nintendo for "bullying innovation out of others" when the only way they actively makes their copyright last longer is, well... making stuff that falls under the copyright, since afaik there isn't even a renewal system anymore. I share the sympathies, though, since copyrights currently last for... uh... 95 years after publication, so... 2091 for Pokemon, assuming nothing changes in the next seven years.

I think the whole situation is just bad timing. Pokemon has gotten super popular lately thanks to Pokemon Go, thus a newly released game is bound to get tons of attention. Nintendo is definitely choosing to take down the games because Sun and Moon are set to come out soon. Plenty of Pokemon fan games and hacks have been featured on gaming websites before and haven't recieved takedowns, so we know this isn't only a matter of staunchly protecting their IP.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't you find it a teeny tiny suspicious that Nintendo went ahead and tried to crack down on the whole Mario romhack scene just before the release of Mario Maker? To me it looks like they were afraid romhacks would hurt the sales of Mario Maker, and thus they tried to remove the scene from the equation for monetary reasons.

I don't find it "suspicious" at all. I'm sure it was completely intentional. Nintendo most likely didn't want the romhack to impact sales. And it does impact sales. I'm playing Reborn, but I haven't bought a Pokemon game since Platinum (that was the only game I ever bought). I actually feel kinda bad about that...

While I agree that I would be great if Fan Games could exist, I don't fault Nintendo for reigning them in some. Whether we like it or not, it does affect the way their franchise is viewed, sometimes positively, and probably affects sales.