Help! Steel Mono Run

nehthan

Hey guys!

I am in need of your assistance. I have recently started a steel monotype run to burn through some time as we eagerly await the next installment of this game. My main playthrough is actually a Ghost mono so I wanted to try something new and a little different. I didn't realize however, just how teeth grindingly hard it would be at various moments of the game. I am currently stuck trying to beat Cal for the first time and I'm being absolutely wrecked. My team is as follows:

Scizor lvl 42 (My one add into the game)

Magnezone lvl 42

Mawile lvl 42

Aggron lvl 42

Klink lvl 41

AND
Onix (future steelix) lvl 41

I also have Forretress waiting on the bench but I don't really figure he's going to be much help.

Is there anything you guys would suggest could add to/accentuate my team in order to get past such a formidable group as his beastly fire starters?

Not too familiar with how Steel-types play out in Reborn, but do any of them know moves like Iron Defense? It won't do much for special attacks (Delphox says hi), but since you can't resist their attacks then at least you can buff yourself to make it manageable.

Aggron could be an MVP if it has Rock Slide, but you'd still need to be careful with some of the Fighting moves Cal has (Infernape and Blaziken say hi, too). But with that freakish defense, boosted even further by spamming Iron Defense if you have it, it might be in the best position to stay alive.

You might wanna bench Klink for something else. It'd be great if you could evolve it into Klinklang, but that wouldn't be until level 49, beyond the current level cap unless you switch train on the Grand Hall trainers.

Also, if anyone knows Magnitude or Earthquake, you could destroy the field and get rid of the Fire boost

I love it how the person with the Empoleon profile pic didnt mention Piplup but some other person did. Anyways, you should be able to evolve onix now so you should do so now for some nice power on your team. Also try using Bronzor if you can get it at that point in the game (i dont remember where yo get it but heatproof can help)

I love it how the person with the Empoleon profile pic didnt mention Piplup but some other person did. Anyways, you should be able to evolve onix now so you should do so now for some nice power on your team. Also try using Bronzor if you can get it at that point in the game (i dont remember where yo get it but heatproof can help)

Ironic, huh? I was about to mention Empoleon, but held off because surprisingly it isn't the best idea to bring one into Cal's fight -- plus, if it was a regular member of the team, it'd probably have been mentioned. Cal covers his weakness to Water quite well, and the field effect makes it worse. It's also weak to Fighting like the rest, but unlike other Steel-types, Empoleon isn't really bulky enough to survive moves like Close Combat.

Oh, and Steelix can't be obtained yet. The first Metal Coat available isn't until after Noel, so too bad.

Edited by Timber Dragon

Why didn't you get Piplup?

My brother was the one who initially set up my game. He gave me a scizor as a starter rather than having both thinking that both would be too easy. I didn't really have much say on the terms haha I know I can get him eventually (which takes the sting away a bit) but that doesn't help me very much right now.

I have begun to forget this game. You do get pickup via an event, not just as a starter, but I'm not entirely sure if it's before or after cal. Probably after.

In any case, Aggron, Onix and Magnezone can all have Sturdy as an ability, and can use fairly powerful moves (though Onix is very weak) to hit cal. Magnezone is also able to use Thunder Wave. I'm not also sure if you can get Bronzor yet, bit if you can, it's worth a shot since it gets rain dance and heatproof. If you can revive fossils, getting Bastiodon is not a bad bet; it's basically a much weaker Aggron but with high mixed bulk. Sturdy + Metal Burst is also a good idea to nuke a threat.

Keeping Onix unevolved is probably better for now, since you'll be in a grey area by using a mon that can be a future steel but currently is resistant to fire.

Steel monoing is hardest against Cal, because ground and fighting are late enough in the game to get access to better steel types. I'm afraid all I can think of now is to use sturdy Pokémon and status ailments, preferably TWave.

My brother was the one who initially set up my game. He gave me a scizor as a starter rather than having both thinking that both would be too easy. I didn't really have much say on the terms haha I know I can get him eventually (which takes the sting away a bit) but that doesn't help me very much right now.

Oh ok.