Nintendo Issues takedowns for pokemon fangames

PokeFailure

Uh guys.....Nintendo sent out some more "take down the download links" specifically on gamejolt games.

"Game Jolt has been hit with a massive amount of DMCA takedowns from Nintendo, mostly targeting Pokémon fangames. And as you might imagine, Pokémon Uncensored Edition was one of them.

Man, a takedown notice only around 2-3 hours after the release of 1.0 seems really odd, doesn’t it? But since apparently hundreds of fangames were targeted, it was just really, really awful timing.

Pokémon Uncensored Edition will be removed from Game Jolt tomorrow. Until then, download the game and enjoy it!"

Quote from the developer of PUE. ^

So.....Nintendo's taking all the fangames.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/09/nintendos-dmca-backed-quest-against-online-fangames/ An article with more details <

Ftr there was like 10 big ones on gamejolt.

rip gamejolt pokemon you shall be missed.

I'm a sad pancham.

I'm pretty sure the only reason Gamejolt was targeted was because people who posted the fangames were getting ad revenue. So unless Ame's drowning in ad money, this site and most of the other sites with Pokemon fangames should be safe.

Unless Nintendo decides to let me down...

I'm pretty sure the only reason Gamejolt was targeted was because people who posted the fangames were getting ad revenue. So unless Ame's drowning in ad money, this site and most of the other sites with Pokemon fangames should be safe.

Unless Nintendo decides to let me down...

On the hand, Uncensored edition is pretty blatantly a satire/parody, so fair use should cover it

I've been part of the Hacking community (well not making hacks but reading up on news for them) for a very long while now and nothing's really changed that much since then. The Gamersjolt big takedown is a new one, but really not that surprising in the long run seeing about the Ad revenue. Believe me when I say nintendo plays a scare tactic every year to push away newer game developers. I'm honestly surprised Reborn hasn't been targeted yet for the Episode 14 era spread. Suzerain's games also haven't been affected so it's really a wait and see at this point and not to worry too much.

I also don't associate the Gamersjolt with Pokemon specifically as it seemed a huge chunk of the takedowns were non Pokemon. I'm sure a large handful of those people were not even doing it for the revenue, but more for the fun of it only getting shot in the crossfire. I saw your status yesterday and I brushed it off as once you get a better understanding of the copyright infringement with hacks/fan-games, this stuff won't surprise you so much. Don't feel like going more into it other than that.

• Global Mods

I know that the Relic Castle forum made themselves members only and disabled guest registration for now as a precaution. Most of the Insurgence development team also made their Twitter accounts private, although they apparently got hacked.

But the ads are definitely a big reason for the GameJolt situation. I doubt they're going to go through and take down every single ROM hack and fangame there is.

When/If Reborn reaches completion, it'll more than likely get hit too. Enjoy the ride in the meantime

A curse in appearance, a blessing on disguise. Those that shout ''no'' also are the same that whisper ''yes''.

A ban from nintendo is also a boost in publicity. Uranium already had attention, but it became ''the game Nintendo banned''. Even my friends that dont play fangames learned of it and downloaded for that sole incident

"Game Jolt has been hit with a massive amount of DMCA takedowns from Nintendo, mostly targeting Pokémon fangames. And as you might imagine, Pokémon Uncensored Edition was one of them.

Man, a takedown notice only around 2-3 hours after the release of 1.0 seems really odd, doesn’t it? But since apparently hundreds of fangames were targeted, it was just really, really awful timing.

Pokémon Uncensored Edition will be removed from Game Jolt tomorrow. Until then, download the game and enjoy it!"

Quote from the developer of PUE. ^

Welp. It seems "tomorrow" has already come, so downloading Pokemon Uncensored edition is impossible now. Wanted to see what it was like.

Uh. I heard about something similar happening to Pokémon Uranium and I wonder if we should be worried too.

No we shouldn't. Uranium wasn't taken down by Nintendo, the devs took all their own links down in response to some takedowns of links by nintendo's lawyers.. And these on Gamejolt fangames were apparently making money off ads, which led to the takedowns on the site.

At the very least, Reborn will be fine until it fully releases.

I've been part of the Hacking community (well not making hacks but reading up on news for them) for a very long while now and nothing's really changed that much since then. The Gamersjolt big takedown is a new one, but really not that surprising in the long run seeing about the Ad revenue. Believe me when I say nintendo plays a scare tactic every year to push away newer game developers. I'm honestly surprised Reborn hasn't been targeted yet for the Episode 14 era spread. Suzerain's games also haven't been affected so it's really a wait and see at this point and not to worry too much.

I also don't associate the Gamersjolt with Pokemon specifically as it seemed a huge chunk of the takedowns were non Pokemon. I'm sure a large handful of those people were not even doing it for the revenue, but more for the fun of it only getting shot in the crossfire. I saw your status yesterday and I brushed it off as once you get a better understanding of the copyright infringement with hacks/fan-games, this stuff won't surprise you so much. Don't feel like going more into it other than that.

i'd thought that reborn had been hit, something like 2 or 3 years ago I tried to access the forum and I just found a "this page was taken down because of a takedown notice from nintendo" or something message. I was a lil broken up, but everything's still here and it's like nothing happened...

i'd thought that reborn had been hit, something like 2 or 3 years ago I tried to access the forum and I just found a "this page was taken down because of a takedown notice from nintendo" or something message. I was a lil broken up, but everything's still here and it's like nothing happened...

I remember this one. It was Ame's idea of a 1st April fool x)

• Global Mods

maybe if there is any risk for reborn, before the full release we could have a patcher/update downloader included within older versions like uranium so that even if the links got taken down, those with an older version could still update and enjoy it.

That was April Fool's. You just had to click on the icon to enter.