Digital vs. Physical Games

Stalkerkain

With digital distribution platforms like Steam and Humble Bundle, many games have moved to the digital side of things, being able to purchase them from the comfort of our own homes. Storage isn't an issue either, as games are just saved in your library and are easily accessible. I have no issue with Steam, having purchased many games there, and I think it's a wonderful thing. But oddly enough, for my consoles (Nintendo being my primary one, 3DS and Wii U) I will always buy the games in their physical form. It'd be way easier for me to just buy the games digitally instead of going to the store, but there's something about slotting that 3DS cartridge or inserting a CD into my Wii U that feels natural. Also I get to display their boxes on my desk and have them sit there as a constant reminder that I really should get into them.

My question here is, which form do you tend to lean towards (if either) when buying games?

Before I would have said physical. Now? Digital for sure. I can find any game I want, for a reasonable price, and not have to wait for days while being able to play it on a PC that is more powerful than a console! I don't know what else I could ask for besides a way better graphics card.

Physical.

I'm old fashioned and most of my positive experiences with gaming - barring RuneScape - have happened through hardware, going to the store and lining up behind crowds to pick up a game, and keeping the packaging as a physical piece of history after my gaming experience is finished.

I prefer a mix. For console it's more feasible to go physical. ((I'm still mad we do't really get manuals any more... new game ritual ruuuuuined.))

However PC... entirely digital. That's mostly since these days it's pretty much impossible to go physical without like collector's edition for PC at this point. ((and like... eh... I really don't need that extra shit.)) Personally, both formats have their pluses... So I'm not reall crazy about one or the other.

Am I to be blamed if I saw the title and assumed 'Physical Games' to mean...well, physical games that one plays on the field in actual life, like cricket or basketball?

Or am I just archaic and out of place here. Probably.

*Looks at subforum name, 'Gaming General'* Ohhhh...

Anyways, the few games I ever played usually were physical copies on devices of my friends, so I never owned them to begin with. I played physical copies of diamond and later platinum on the old NDS, which is the only console I personally ever owned; and I've never actually bought any digital game to play on PC or any other so I'm definitely out of place here but I've already typed all this and it's too much bother to edit this so I'm posting it anyway.

And here I thought this would be a thread about boardgames ~ *pout*

And despite how much I love physical boxes and opening them, and showing off my collections, it's simply unfeasable due to how much space having one takes up. So therefore I have to concede to the Digital Gaming trend that has engulfed our world this past decade.

I mix it up quite a bit. I do love me some Steam and GOG games, but being able to hold the actual game in my hand will be something that I'll always enjoy. There's few experiences I enjoy more than being excited to go pick up a pre-ordered game and then being able to hold it and head home to play it! I usually make an event out of it and take my wife out to dinner before or after getting the games and it makes for a really enjoyable experience. Also I just like being able to see my collection of games with their art books and cool cases and whatnot.

Of course, that being said, I love my digital games too. It just depends on what's available and what's easier at the time.

Edited by CodeCass

Definitely digital if it concerns PC gaming. But for consoles and handhelds I strongly lean towards physical.

Especially if it's a game I think is going to be really good or from a franchise I'm a fan of. And I'm still a sucker for cartridges.