Mage-themed Run?

Timber Dragon

So I'm toying with the idea of doing some kind of mage-themed run. My team would consist of, well, mages, and wizards, magicians, witches, etc. The potential Pokemon to use for the run would be:

-Fennekin/Braixen/Delphox (starter)

-Abra/Kadabra/Alakazam
-Drowzee/Hypno
-Mime Jr./Mr. Mime
-Smoochum/Jynx
-Natu/Xatu
-Misdreavus/Mismagius
-Ralts/Kirlia/Gardevoir/Gallade
-Meditite/Medicham
-Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle

Ambiguous:

-Solosis/Duosion/Reuniclus?
-Espurr/Meowstic?
-Elgyem/Beheeyem?

I was wondering if there are any other Pokemon that you think would be appropriate for the run, anything that makes you think of a magic user. Most of them are humanoid Psychic-types but they don't comprise the whole team, and there's gotta be something I missed.

Alternatively, I could expand the theme to include magic in general. But if I do that, what qualifications would you have for just 'magic?' Magical creatures?

Thoughts/suggestions would be helpful, especially if you can think of something that looks like a mage but isn't another Psychic-type... all I have is Mismagius, but Dark-types still be scary, man.

How about Golett/Golurk, as they are based upon the concept of golems created by mages and used to do their bidding? Baltoy/Claydol also could fit that theme for the same reasons. You could also do Zorua/Zoroark, as they are based on the concept of illusions and subterfuge, a common trend among stage magicians also means you won't just die every time a dark type comes out. Riolu/Lucario exist as options due to their manipulation of Aura, which is a strange magical substance in the Pokemon world. Yamask and Cofagrigus for the concept of reanimation (like zombies).

I mean, extending it to "magic" would give you a good amount more options.

but sticking with the witch/mage/wizard

Aromatisse, it would moreso be a witch that does brews and whatnot plus it hurts them dark types

the aforementioned Zoroark would also be good.

If you decide to change the theme to magic i can get you a good list.

How about Golett/Golurk, as they are based upon the concept of golems created by mages and used to do their bidding? Baltoy/Claydol also could fit that theme for the same reasons. You could also do Zorua/Zoroark, as they are based on the concept of illusions and subterfuge, a common trend among stage magicians also means you won't just die every time a dark type comes out. Riolu/Lucario exist as options due to their manipulation of Aura, which is a strange magical substance in the Pokemon world. Yamask and Cofagrigus for the concept of reanimation (like zombies).

I actually considered using a some of those, but I hesitated because I didn't consider them 'spell casty' enough, plus I just finished a Ghost monotype run so I wasn't sure I wanted Golurk or Cofagrigus. I'll probably use Zoroark and Lucario at least, because they're more of the 'master' than the minion doing the mage's bidding (or a zombie).

I mean, extending it to "magic" would give you a good amount more options.

but sticking with the witch/mage/wizard

Aromatisse, it would moreso be a witch that does brews and whatnot plus it hurts them dark types

the aforementioned Zoroark would also be good.

If you decide to change the theme to magic i can get you a good list.

Ooooh Aromatisse. My bird-themed run showed me how destructive they can potentially be, and I didn't even consider a witch brew/potion interpretation (I thought of them more like a bird/plague doctor themed creature). And yes, I'll probably use Zoroark too.

You don't need to give me a full list if it's work, but if the theme was changed to magic, what sort of qualifications would you look at?

• 1 month later...

I'd say Ninetales works for a magician/wizard/ect. themed run, and maybe some of the others below. Gallade is probably more of a warrior though.

Ninetales -- Pokedex entry "Legend has it that Ninetales came into being when nine wizards possessing sacred powers merged into one. This Pokémon is highly intelligent—it can understand human speech." Plus the whole mind control shtick.

Blissey -- Probably would only work if you count "healers" as mages.

Espeon -- Mind control, predictions.

Gengar -- Might work because of its connection to curses, and looking vaguely humanoid. But then again, most ghost types can learn curse, so...

Banette -- Same thing as Gengar.

Dusclops/Dusknoir -- Connection to will-o-wisps, spectral fire, and mind control.

Froslass -- Based off the Japanese yuki-onna. She might be a witch.

For magic, maybe only choose the Pokemon with a strong connection to magic.

Examples: Clefable, Starmie, Ledian, Togekiss, Banette, Chimecho, Musharna, Sigilyph

Although if you decided to go with the guardians theme (like Golett) Sigilyph and Cofagrigus would work.

Good luck on your run! It seems very interesting.