Worst Roadblock in Pokemon

mde2001

So we all know pokemon is fond of roadblocks, where they come up with convenient excuses for you not being able to access areas. Often this is just an HM that you don't have, but sometimes they try to come up with great excuses, and in general they fail massively. I'm going to go with the ones that annoy me in order of generation.

Old Man who needs coffee:

This one works a little better when he's drunk and he might be scary, but really. Its an old man on the floor being a jerk. I'm pretty sure the character could just walk past him.

Gym guide in Pewter City:

He flat out forces you to go to the gym because he thinks its a good idea. They don't give any excuse other than, "you should go to the gym, I'm going to take you there."

Thirsty Guard:

These guys should be fired. They block off the city for some important reason, and then if you give them one drink (which somehow quenches all four of their thirsts, they'll let you through.

Footprint guy:

This guy is a jerk and an idiot. The doesn't let you cross the path because he thinks he says rare animal tracks, that end up being his own feet. Its so bad its almost funny.

Wailmer Training Grunt:

Why don't we battle this guy. He's our enemy who is training. Why are we letting him get stronger/ enjoy himself. Just get your manectric and discharge all over his Wailmer.

Psyduck:

These Psyduck could be walked over or moved. They're tiny and not that strong. Also the fact that Cynthia decides to wait until she sees you to give you the medicine, rather than just using it on them herself seems odd to me.

Sunnyshore City Blackout:

Sure, the city relies on its light, but why aren't you letting me onto the route at least? Are you saying we need to have light in Sunnyshore city to go see the pikachu house?

Dancing Men:

I kind of like this one to be honest, as it is very self aware, but I feel like it has to be on here as it really makes no sense. I still love it though.

Lumiose Blackout:

Its the middle of the day. The power plant that's having issues is no where near where I'm going. Some of the lights in the other half of the city are still on. You're letting other people go through. Why do you hate me construction worker.

Anyway, those are the ones I feel are the worst done (I realise it is a lot of them, but there are a few which I like such as Snorlax and Sudowoodo). I also had some memory of this topic existing before, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I think it hasn't been done before.

• Global Mods

About the thirsty guards, the one you give the tea to shares it with the other guards and that's how it makes all of them not thirsty.

I forget if it was in Unova or Kalos, but there's one place where a guard says "Sorry, there's something up ahead and you can't pass".

Also, related to what you said about the Wailmer training grunt, most grunt-related roadblocks. I'm always like "Why can't I just battle them? I do any other time." I see it more often in fangames than the main games I think, but it's happened a few times in the main series. Like the two Lake of Rage grunts who make you pay a fee. It's like the player just lets themself be extorted, when we should be perfectly capable of kicking their asses. It would be one thing if the grunts are in disguise and pretending to be officers or rangers, but when they're out in the open, there's almost never a reason I see that we can't fight them. The only legitimate one I can think of is in the Aqua/Magma hideout where they say the boss isn't there, which would make it a waste of time to search the hideout for him (it ended up being a waste of time anyway since he left with the sub before we reached him, lol).

I just want to point out, citation needed, though. I believe it's in Unova where a bunch of people are blocking your way through a route gate, and when you talk to them they actually tell you something along the lines of "For now, we're blocking your way, but perhaps we might leave another time." If it's an actual thing, it's the worst roadblock ever, but it's still hilarious.

Edited by InnocentBoy

I just want to point out, citation needed, though. I believe it's in Unova where a bunch of people are blocking your way through a route gate, and when you talk to them they actually tell you something along the lines of "For now, we're blocking your way, but perhaps we might leave another time." If it's an actual thing, it's the worst roadblock ever, but it's still hilarious.

I believe they're the dancing men mde referred to. I only stumbled upon them myself the other day. It was so contrived that it was brilliant.

The worst roadblock in Pokemon are definitely the friggin' Zubats. These things are way worst than tedious and sometimes stupid puzzles you are obligated to solve.

At least solving puzzles are fun and Zubat evolves into the Mighty Crobat.~

Edited by Alchemia Chan

Victoria.

The roadblock that just KEEPS. COMING. BACK.

i didnt expect to laugh this hard LOL

i hated her so much even tho i liked her i was like "IF YOU DONT GET YO ASS"

for me its just

every time i need an hm and i dont have it, pre-fly, sometimes even post-fly because like

"I HAVE TO GO BACK

AND GET THIS FUCKING RAT

TO CUT DOWN THIS TREE

BECAUSE IM NOT TEACHING CUT TO MY BLAZIKEN"

suffice to say,

it happened to me often. i like how in drayano hacks he made them a bit more useful. and in the new games + insurgence you dont even have to teach hms to your pokemon. i think hms are like

the worst way to put puzzles in your game

other than that i dont really remember many roadblocks. the one that made me angriest was the lumiose blackouts because im pretty sure the lights were ON in the fucking back but alas

AND LT.SURGE'S GYM MAN FUCK THAT DUDE THAT GYM WAS SO ANNOYING I WAS STUCK IN THERE FOR LIKE 30 MINUTES AND THEN 6-0D HIM WITH EARTHQUAKE NIDOKING IN HEARTGOLD I GAVE THAT BOY THE BUSINESS

The whole game is a roadblock. Every single NPC and battle is a roadblock. The ideal state of perfection in a game...is if there is no game.

viri i'm going to beat you with a bike tire if you ever say something this dumb in my presence ever again

In Black 2 and White 2, an NPC does not let you onto Tubeline Bridge because they are testing to see how many people can fit on the bridge without it collapsing. First of all, that sounds like a terrible idea. What if the bridge collapses and everyone dies. Secondly, would it really affect your experiment if you let one person pass through?

I also dislike the workers in Lumiose who let everyone but you pass them during the blackout. An interesting thing to note is that even though you restore the city's power by getting rid of Team Flare at the Power Plant, the workers will still be there until you go to Prism Tower, meaning you have to use the North Lumiose Entrance. You can't fly to South Lumiose and go to Prism Tower from there.

I really hate that the player takes no initiative to move/get around some of these roadblocks. For example, if I have a pokemon that knows Fly why can't I just go over Snorlax.

Related to Snorlax, why do I need a flute to wake it up? Can't I just throw a pokeball at it? I'd make it fall asleep in battle to make it easier to capture regardless.

No, spade, I know I was trying to be funny a little but...

Victoria literally is the worst roadblock in all of Pokemon.

Like.....I'd rather run cut on my Charmander than deal with this lady.

Damn it, Ame....just.....damn it.

As a psyduck fan, They're obviously the best roadblock because PSY NOT?

The worst one is obviously the tiny rocks you can just crawl over, A tiny tree can give you splinters or maybe a cut.

WARNING: Funny Pokemon comics, I am not responsible if you spit your drink on your computer.

SCZnkQZ.jpg

IeQVBJH.jpg

046.jpg

BJPJUOu.jpg

q39aZPP.jpg

Edited by PokeFailure