Who's Nastasia? [Spoilers, maybe?]

Hect

So, I believe there's no topic or theories with people speculating about who Nastasia is supposed to be, so I've decided to make one! This entire thing has been bothering me since my first playthrough and I suppose it's time to exchange thoughts about her character.

The game doesn't really tell you about her to begin with. You meet her first on the S.S Oceana after the bomb explodes on the ship. Your "mother" goes to investigate what caused the explosion and she'll confront and ultimately end up taking her into custody. She seems rather coldhearted and devoid of any emotion, being more than happy to kill or capture innocent people.

The second time you'll "meet" her is after the incident in Carotos Mountain conversing with Geara and Neved.

The third time is in Blacksteeple Castle when she's partnered with Madelis and checks on the machine that's transmitting the signal preventing all affected trainers from calling out their Pokèmon. While the game displays Madelis as a rather hot-headed, power-hungry individual, she's rather analytic and cares little for the safety or well-being of the prisoners or wardens on the island. (So does Madelis, apparently. But I don't remember her talking about it. This topic is still about Nastasia.) I think she's also present when Ren is getting introduced to Team Xen on top of Blacksteeple Castle.

Anyway. The fourth time you'll see her is in the Sheridan Wetlands together with Ren. Again, she's cold and stuff, which is hardly a surprise by now. After you make your way through the facility, you will see a cutscene showing her together with Ren, planning to escape together. After you enter final room together with Melia and Aelita, you'll find that it's empty. After going through the backdoor, you'll discover another exit that leads through an area of Carotos Mountain that's not yet accessible. Ren and Nastasia will be stuck in the net of a Galvantula, being revealed to be Crawli's Galvantula. Though, the two easily free themselves and fight back. After the fight against Ren it is revealed that Nastasia had no trouble taking on both Melia and Crawli, which leads me to the conclusion that she's very powerful. Her only known Pokèmon as of now are Ninetales, Metagross and possibly Deoxys or Deoxy. If I missed one, feel free to correct me.

After that, you don't see her again. But it's implied that she's behind the incident with the Dexoys attacking the Xen Brigade.

Aaanyway, with that out of the way, I'll try to make it simple: When you go to Kugearen City later in the game, you'll eventually reach the laboratory of Ms. Katsu, who just so happens to have a purple-haired daugther by the name of Anastasia that apparently is a gifted child capable of highly complicated math. We don't find out much about her, except for the fact that Ms. Katsu is her mother, that she's friends with Maria, and that her intellect seems to equal that of Maria.

After Maria's disappearance, she runs off after being confronted by her mother about it. We don't see her again after that.

So, first off: I'm not exactly into making theories or into the lore of video games for that matter. But if something's bothering me, I have to let it out. I may be a simpleton for thinking than Nastasia and Anastasia from the past are related, but the game is literally giving it away.. or not? Purple hair, above average intellect, similar sounding names.

I could speculate about how Anastasia became Nastasia, but in the end none of this is valid and it's only a theory. I'd say that the whole thing with Maria traumatized her and that she went through a similar situation than Florinia in Pokèmon Reborn; getting rid of her emotions and/or memories (Certain memories, perhaps?) because of a event that traumatized her, resulting in her becoming "Nastasia" and joining Team Xen. However, it may also be related to Spacea and Tiempea, or maybe even "Storm-9".

But, well, I'm tired. And before I keep on rambling, I'd rather call it quits. I'm curious what you people think about it, especially since I didn't see any theories or debates about the topic.

Edited by Lagspike

• Global Mods

Another connection is that if you speak with the officers blocking off the south exit to Kugearen, they mention a meteor. Deoxys is commonly associated with meteors, and meteors are always used in the main series to change its form. This is where Anastasia ran, and it could be where she got the DNA to make the Dexoys.

We still don't know how she went from shy to cold, though. Maybe if we're not done going into the past (which I don't think we're done, going by the fact the officer you can save mentions a place called Stoplight City or maybe Spotlight, I forget which), we'll see what caused her personality change and why she joined Team Xen, like we saw what made Vitus/Indriad snap. She seems to be the second in command, having authority over the other executives and dealing with Crawli without much difficulty, so maybe she was the first to join.

The fact that there's still unexplored routes and a cave accessible by moving strength boulders pretty much suggests that we are going back to the future. (Heh.)

Anyway, yes, I also considered the thing with the meteor, but I sort of ended up forgetting about it. But it makes sense. I was secretly hoping that you'd reply here and correct me and/or state your opinion. xD I'm more of a lurker, but you seem to know lore.

Maybe Version 9 will give us more of an insight who the Xen Executives truly are. We don't know much about most of them, except for Zetta.

I agree.I remember talking about the same thing in the v7 discussion thread or something.

Hah, well, I'm not exactly looking at that discussion thread all that often. I felt like this matter deserved it's own thread. But if you can find the part where you talked about it, feel free to share it here or send me a PM. I'd be interested in seeing it.