4th Gen Love?

I frequently go and replay older Pokemon games but everytime I get to gen four I just can't stomach it? I hardly make it past the fourth gym if I try at this point because dealing with the HMs, the worst Pokemon designs to date in my opinion, and the sloooowness even in Platinum just isn't worth the time.

In my opinion I think Gen 4 is the second weakest in the Pokemon series (Gen 3 being the weakest).  While we did get a number of awesome evolution and the split with attacks, the game itself was a bit weak.  A lot of the gym leaders were forgettable, Cynthia and Cryus being the only flushed out characters.  Story is meh, which doesn't help.

Again, people tend to blatantly disregard the flaws of the gen they grew up with, their first Pokemon game. And then in proceeding generations they will criticise those due to having higher standards at that point. 

This isn't a bad thing. It just shows how subjective the quality of every Generation of Pokemon games is. In truth every single generation has its merits, and are probably equal in terms of quality. 

Gen 4 is up there as one of my favourites if only because of the atmosphere and soundtrack. Trudging through the blizzard at the speed of my grandma's lawnmower may be painful the time, but it was memorable.

I love every place in Sinnoh (except Mt Coronet, screw that place) and I feel the music helps build the atmosphere perfectly.

Sure it was horrendously slow and the story was pretty mediocre compared to Gen 5's, but it definitely had the best environment in my opinion, which is mostly why a lot of people want a remake with today's neato 3DS graphics.

hopefully mt coronet gets leveled by an earthquake in the remake too

But hey, that's probably just the nostalgia speaking.

Platinum was my first Pokémon game, I loved it. While a child we don't have any sense of criticism, that's why Generation 4 is one of the best generations for me, but it is purely moved by nostalgia.

I actually really like every pokémon design from Gen 4, and it's the only region where I like all the starters equally (Alola too, but that's not the case).

Also, I don't remember anything story-wise about Sinnoh, I really need to replay Platinum someday. 

Anyway, the low speed of the game isn't really that much of a trouble for me, since it was my first contact with a Pokémon game and I had nothing to compare with.

Today, I don't really play games for the gameplay itself, but for the story that they have to tell. Of course, I really enjoy playing, but I enjoy much more being mind-blowed by the great story that the game offers. So, if Gen 4 is going to receive a remake, I really hope that they improve the story and give more personality to the characters, in a way that they can be at least memorable.

I loved diamond as a kid. like not even platinum with all the features, friggin diamond. I have wayyyy too many fond memories to rate this low. yeah sure the snow levels were slow but honestly I like snow much better than the ice puzzles we have in other games. while I didn't like a lot of mons in 4th gen, some I love too much to let go, especially empoleon, luxray, dialga, and lucario.

the one thing I haven't seen anyone talking about, though, is Mythic Bloat.

there were so many event-only pokemon that an event went unused! we went from 1 in gen one and two and two in gen 3 to a whopping six event-only mons! I honestly have no idea what happened, only that wee lad me was a sad, sad kid with no event mons.

Gen 4 honestly is my favorite game series. It was the first time I ever got competitive with battling, Cyrus is with out a doubt the best villain in the series, and not to mention Cynthia along with a roster of amazing Pokemon like Garchomp, and even the  god Arceus itself. Then there were Heartgold and Soulsilver which are the best remakes in the series. Gen 2 was my favorite for a while, but when gen 4 came along, it took its place. The only downside I see is the story,  but pokemon at that wasn't too story focused, that didn't happen until gen 5.

On 12/8/2016 at 0:17 AM, doombotmecha said:

the one thing I haven't seen anyone talking about, though, is Mythic Bloat.

there were so many event-only pokemon that an event went unused! we went from 1 in gen one and two and two in gen 3 to a whopping six event-only mons! I honestly have no idea what happened, only that wee lad me was a sad, sad kid with no event mons.

One of many reasons I hated gen 4. And I didn't like the vast majority of 'em.

I have mixed opinions about gen 4. The main games anyway. It was my second pokemon game I ever completed as a kiddo, and I ADORED it at that time. But when I revisit it now I just end up giving up. Buuuuuuuuut I'm just gonna list down what I liked and disliked about it! 

Spoiler

*The terrain was varied, which I liked. (i.e, Mt.Coronet, Floaroma and Eterna, Pastoria, Hearthome, Snowpoint etc) 

*The pokemon designs were LIT as fuck imo. 

*Main legendaries had myth surrounding them which made them A+ to me and interesting.  

*The character designs were also some of my favourites 

*THE SOUNDTRACK IS MY JAM I DONT CARE WHAT you thiNK 

*I absolutely loved the myths and lore aAAA 

*The world was big and had a lot to explore

*Distortion world

*Cyrus and his motives 

*Kinda hard if you don't grind 

*Overall I just really like the pokemon in this gen

Dislikes

Spoiler

*It was so hard to traverse???? It really made exploring tedious and annoying. I HATE HMs. 

*The pacing can be horrid at times. It's slow, then it's fast. I'd elaborate but then i'd be rambling hhh

*The mountainous and cave areas lacked distinction. Doesn't help that most the region is mountain. All it was was brown. 

*The other legendaries were just....there. They weren't even that memorable tbh. And I liked them as a kid too. 

*The characters were empty and devoid of any personality and were not memorable in any way no matter what. Aside from a few, I just forgot about them. It's kinda sad. 

*Team Galactic grunts were irritating. Idk if that was what they were going for. They weren't amusing/interesting at all to me. 

*Story was sorta uninteresting and did not intrigue me until near the spear pillar. 

in the end mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmaybe nostalgia is clouding my views on this game but can anyone really blame. But aside from my run back when i was small I never ever did a run of Platinum again. I attempted it but because early on it was just super boring and slow, I gave up. But I can't bring myself to hate it, too, y'know? Of course it'll be inferior compared to the other gens but hey! That's why we gotta have a remake of this game, non?