[Spoiler?] An Exca-uizite choice

laggless01

As hinted at by the teaser, we're probably fighting Titania in the next episode. Also from that teaser (and a bit of reasoning), I suspect it'll be on the Fairy Tale Field. It's a bit tricky to consider whether that's a spoiler or totally obvious, so hence it's hidden here.

So, I thought Excadrill might be an interesting mon to send that person packing have as counter in said conditions. There are multiple options though, so I'd wonder what you think would be optimal.

So, to sum it up: what would be better against a Steel team on the Fairy field, assuming every possible matchup: a Mold Breaker (and possible Choice Scarf if we find it) set, a Swords Dance (Sand Rush) set? Something else?
(I might want to raise a Trapper Magnezone for this one, too, but that's off-topic and really time-consuming to get the right IVs for)

If you couple it with a Hippowdon with Sand Stream and a Smooth Rock, then definitely the Sand Rush ability would be best since with it you would pretty much outspeed everything in the game and if you get a SD up you pretty much sweep everything. However, if don't plan on using sand than go with Mold Breaker to hit those Levitate users. I'd recommend always a SD set with Rock Slide, EQ, and Iron Head.

If I'm correct, only five non-mega steel-types outspeed Excadrill. Since two of them are legendaries (Dialga and Genesect), I suppose I won't see those. That leaves me with Lucario, Klinklang and Durant, which are all rather troublesome (on this field) for the mole.
I haven't found a choice scarf in the game, so I guess that's probably no option. However, atm there is no sand setter (nothing with Sand Stream, iirc. I suspect we can get the hippo in the near future). So there's no good way the guy could outspeed any of them. It does mean that atm, Mold Breaker is the best ability anyway, although that is very likely to change later. SD gets a massive boost in the field, tho.

Probably my best way to tackle it is change the field (Amplifield Rock Mist Mamo, likely) + add entry hazards, then switch Blaziken in for glory.

Maybe teaming Excadrill up with Chandelure might break her, if it can carry a field-changing move (like Mist) that can hit her. Although it doesn't outspeed those three either, plus even if it wore a choice scarf, Bisharp terminates it anyway. It does get Haze, but with its bulk it's rather risky to use it on the flame.
Delphox also seems a good option (Magician boost), but it can't really capitalize on it since it can't change the field iirc (plus doesn't outspeed Durant).

I suspect she'll go for Mega Scizor based on rumour, but M-Metagross and M-Lucario would be way worse for me (especially the former). I could set up Sticky Web, but she can at least run two hazard removers, so gah.

Fire Punch Hawlucha is maybe somewhat left field, but it might work. It doesn't appreciate Rock Slides or Zen Headbutt, and I doubt its power (92 base attack isn't much against some of the biggest tanks) is plenty.

2 hours ago, laggless01 said:

If I'm correct, only five non-mega steel-types outspeed Excadrill. Since two of them are legendaries (Dialga and Genesect), I suppose I won't see those. That leaves me with Lucario, Klinklang and Durant, which are all rather troublesome (on this field) for the mole.
I haven't found a choice scarf in the game, so I guess that's probably no option. However, atm there is no sand setter (nothing with Sand Stream, iirc. I suspect we can get the hippo in the near future). So there's no good way the guy could outspeed any of them. It does mean that atm, Mold Breaker is the best ability anyway, although that is very likely to change later. SD gets a massive boost in the field, tho.

Probably my best way to tackle it is change the field (Amplifield Rock Mist Mamo, likely) + add entry hazards, then switch Blaziken in for glory.

Maybe teaming Excadrill up with Chandelure might break her, if it can carry a field-changing move (like Mist) that can hit her. Although it doesn't outspeed those three either, plus even if it wore a choice scarf, Bisharp terminates it anyway. It does get Haze, but with its bulk it's rather risky to use it on the flame.
Delphox also seems a good option (Magician boost), but it can't really capitalize on it since it can't change the field iirc (plus doesn't outspeed Durant).

I suspect she'll go for Mega Scizor based on rumour, but M-Metagross and M-Lucario would be way worse for me (especially the former). I could set up Sticky Web, but she can at least run two hazard removers, so gah.

Fire Punch Hawlucha is maybe somewhat left field, but it might work. It doesn't appreciate Rock Slides or Zen Headbutt, and I doubt its power (92 base attack isn't much against some of the biggest tanks) is plenty.

Ummm, you can find the Hippo in Tanzan depths. Also, if you are willing to wait until the next episode, Gigalith gets Sandstream in gen VII, so you'll only need an ability capsule and you're set.

As for the rest of your team ideas I'll edit my opinions on it a bit later when I have more time to properly read it.

EDIT:

First off, of the fire types you listed I'd suggest Chandelure just for the sheer power it has. Just be careful with faster pokemon, and things like Bisharp and Aegislash. We know for a fact four pokemon in Tania's team: Aegislash, Skarmory, Excadrill and M-Scizor (ace). I don't think she'll have a Durant or Klinklang based on the other four, my guesses would be two of these: Empoleon, Ferrothorn, Lucario, Metagross, Magnezone and Bisharp. I'd put my money on Empoleon and Lucario since they cover her weaknesses pretty well (plus Lucario is a beast).

You really shouldn't have any problem breaking her with the Excalure + sand combo, although since we don't know anything about her field effect I could be wrong.

Edited by Farnsworth
Updated