Horrible Tragedies

Cool Girl

I just wanted to take the time to gather my thoughts here about certain incidents that have happened and to remember the victims.

Part 1 United Airline Passenger Forcibly Removed From Plane

A couple of days ago, a video surfaced of a United Airline passenger forcibly removed from a United Airline plane. Here is the video in case you haven't seen it yet. Be warned though as it may contain disturbing content.

Spoiler

So, according to United or whoever, a flight from Chicago to Louisville was overbooked. They say it was overbooked because they needed to make room for four United employees on the plane. They said that whoever voluntarily leaves the plane will get a $800 United voucher. At that point, a couple had left but nobody volunteered. So, they announced that they will randomly select passengers to leave the plane. The passenger you see in the video, who was a doctor, refused to leave the plane because he had patients to see the next day. At that point, law enforcement was called and the man still refused. That is when it started. He was dragged off and brutally beaten as you can see by the video. The man was distraught and in shock.

I did a little bit of research of what flights do when they're overbooked. In the city of Chicago, when a flight is overbooked, they can/need to offer up to $1300, if no-one leaves the plane at a point. Even so, the definition of volunteer is "to do something willingly without force". That was not the case here. What they should have done is keep looking until a passenger wanted to leave the plane.

Even so, I also heard that airlines will sell more tickets than there are seats for money, which I think is horrible because that causes overbooking. What I think airlines should do is be like ok we have this  much seats. Subtract the amounts of seats you have with Airline employees and the total you get is the amount of seats you will sell.

After the incident happened, the doctor is now planning to sue the airline and Chicago PD as he should. His lawyer said that he had a concussion, two lost teeth, and had to get reconstructive surgery because of his injuries.

For the people out there who say that this had to do with race, stop it! It doesn't matter whether he was white or African-American or Hispanic, they probably would've acted the same way. This is not a race issue.

I'm pissed at the CEO. It took him about three times to actually properly apologize. I hope this man wins in court because he did not deserve any of that! And screw United, I'm not flying them again.

Part 2 San Bernardino School Shooting

Spoiler

Apparently, the shooter had a wife who was a teacher there and a son. His marriage was heading for divorce. So he killed his wife and son and injured another student and then committed suicide. THIS IS SICK AND DISGUSTING ON EVERY LEVEL! I don't care if your marriage was heading for divorce or not! You work it out, not shoot a freakin' school and scare everybody!

Anyway, that's what I have to say. Let me know your thoughts on all of this. Thanks for reading y'all, really... I just want to provide important discussion so really thank you for reading this.

About the plane situation. This was bound to happen sometime. Overbooking is a common thing. Basically the airplane company sees that systematically there are less people on the plane then tickets sold.  So it decides to sell those empty seats again.  In a way they are selling that they don't have. After all if all people or a bigger amount then expected come , a part of them doesn't have a seat and can't be flown. These people get compensated so that the airplane's image isn't lowered with another booking on a plane and a financial compensation. On top of that  to check the cost of this prcedure , they put in the right to forcebly remove passenger in their terms and conditions. Passengers don't have much choice beause if all airplane companies do it what are they going to do?  Take a boat?  They then let a computer algorithm decide the amount of tickets sold based on various input and the parameters of the company. The algorithm will then return the optimal amount of passengers, in what way optimal? I'm betting profit. They are still gambling though no matter the algorithm and they were bound to lose at some point. It is sad that it had to be shown in such a violent display.

I have a few problem with this overbooking system. First the airplane comanies are lying in what they sell, you're not making a reservation. You're entering a raffle, just with very favorible odds and a nice conselation price.

Second it is a huge evasion of responsabilities, the airplane comapny is not even responsible for the correct amount of seats anymore. They weren't even responsible for being on time to begin with. 

Thirdly the airline company takes almost no consideration with their customers. The only thing they care is their own siuation and the rest they don't care. Come one if people are expected to show some morals, comapnies should as well. 

Finally where is the supply and demand? We have this nifty thing and it is the foundtion of our comapny. But yet they don't use it in this case. The company should have kept sweetening the deal until they find enough passengers. Eventually the price will be high enough for the passengers to cover their costs. People have costs as well after all. Even if they take another plane there are potential opportinities that now are closed. These opportunities have a price and should be put in consideration as well.

The fact that the CEO needs three apologies for the incedent clearly shows that they are not sorry for the incident just that they miscalculated the backlash.

About the shooting. I can convey my sympathies with the victims. The fact that a relationship problem did not worked out is no reason for shoooting ( not that are many reasons for a shooting), especially a school. This should never happen. The final thing that need to happen is to see what can be done to make sure that these situations never happen ( or at least their occurence are lowered).

• 2 weeks later...

So update on the United incident. A settlement has been reached. More, United has now changed their policies, which is good. But then, more incidents happen! Take a look at these:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Ok, cleary, there's need to be better training for employees! I mean, WHAT THE HELL?! A flight was being delayed and he had to go pee during that delay! Absolutely nothing wrong with that! As for the lady with the stroller, we don't really know the whole story. But I will say this, as a person who has flown American Airlines before, if your stroller can be folded, you're allowed to bring it in the overhead bin. Also, when you are a flight attendant, you have to have patience. Clearly the flight attendant in the American Airlines video handled this situation really wrong. I think there were both faults on the passenger who stood up for the woman and the flight attendant. Because the more the passenger screamed at the flight attendant and the more the flight attendant responded, the more the situation escalated.

That's all for now, let me know what you guys think of the airline industries.