[IC] Trespassers of the Multiverse: Director's Cut

Hal Henderics

Rather than respond to the dragon, she dug around for a bit, before dragging up a suitable set of visions the Maven's had once shown her and sending it to the drake. 

Spoiler

Hellfire blooms like countless candles in the night, ungodly embers carried on the night wind.

Fields of charred and blackened earth stretch as far as the eye can see, a shape of shimmering crimson frolicking amongst the destruction, snapping, tearing, killing to it's heart content, great wings unfurling to the heavens as yet more fire pours from it's maw, turning night into day.

Screams join the roar of the flames, creating a hideous melody that drowned out all else. Mothers, Fathers, children, running, fleeing, some fighting in vain to keep the elder dragon's attention elsewhere, give their lives so that others may live.

All of them wiped off the earth in a single passing of the beast's flames. Spears and Arrows bounce uselessly off it's might hide, blood taints the earth it stands on, but none of it belonging to the killer. There is something almost... gleeful in the beasts eyes. Something great and malicious, a drive to kill and destroy simply because it could. 

The vision is accompanied by a sensation... like a dam preparing to break, or the sight of massive tidal swell bearing down on a ship one is passenger on. Great, inescapable, capable of sweeping you off your feet and dashing you out of the very fabric of existence itself, and explicitly intent on doing just that. No rhyme, no reason, just a wall, a wall on the move, a wall that will crush anything in it's path and give no damns as to the carnage left behind. 

And as the dragon makes another sweep with it's hellish breath, this sensation only grows, and grows, until it is nigh overwhelming- the feeling of death incarnate, of carnage for the sake of carnage, rage so palpable that there is nothing that can stop it, nothing that can quell it...

until at long last, the vision draws to a close, just as the dragon kills the last of the meek defenders, and sets off upon those that fled, tearing flesh from bone, searing the weak where they stand, no mercy...

"Do you feel that? That pressure, that crushing sensation? That is what I feel when I try to "Talk" to one of the beasts of my home while they're in the middle of a rampage, or actually, just in general whenever I "talk" to a big predator- even some of the herbivores are the same way. That vision was something shown to me, something from the darkest era my people ever knew, a time we almost didn't survive. Like I told you, there is nothing to be reasoned with. There was never anything to be reasoned with. There never will be. We struggled against beasts far stronger and more capable than us for too many years to count- don't you think we would've "Talked" to them if it had been possible? We couldn't kill them back then either, and we sure as hell have a lot of trouble doing it even now. How do you try to negotiate with a wall of blistering, unstoppable fury that is several times your size and could crush you like a twig in an instant? How do you kill something that can soak up so much of what you throw at it, you might as well just lay down, die, and save both of you some time and energy? If you still don't believe me though, I don't know what else to show you, so I'll just stop trying."

and stop trying she did, as she turned to answer lilly's question "And your breathing. And the rats scurrying around between some of the crates... and it's not just hearing, I can smell that the venison you're cooking is about to get a bit too well done" Lo and behold, a quick inspection of the fire would've indeed revealed that meat was definitely ready to be put onto a dish and swapped out for a raw batch... Lucille only shrugged "It's always been like this for me.... hearing, smell, touch, those are the only ways I can tell what's going on around me. So I've always noticed things people with sight either aren't capable of, or just don't care enough to even try."

Arminius is conflicted for a moment over whether he should see if she was really serious. His brain immediately took over and he shook his head.

"That's not quite the problem. I'm more concerned about the impracticality of wearing a toga when we can easily get you something more applicable to our work... which also makes it harder for you to be noticed because you aren't the only person wearing a toga anymore."

Returning to the computer terminal, Harry pulled up a tab he had seen earlier: some form of PHO message board. And one small message, hidden amongst a great deal of clutter, read <"Requesting a meeting with the constructive foreigners who were over by the apartment."> Huh. Probably not someone from the PHO then, or at least not someone who had been at the meeting. Couldn't be Lung, which left either civilians, the gangsters, or whoever controlled the bugs. Civilians wouldn't word the request so cryptically, and the gangsters were probably all serving some form of brief sentence. Had to be the commander of the bugs. "Kusuke, someone wants to meet us, it seems." Harry gestured to his screen. "Probably gonna pester them for some info before agreeing or anything, but do you have any thoughts on the matter?"

Edited by Strider

Arminius stands and after a moment of going through the cash from the earlier attack again takes a sum of 100 "dollars" from it. He drops the rest of the cash where he was before nodding to Bandit.

"I saw a shop with clothes in it not terribly far from here. I was thinking we'd try there."

Arminius summons MiniSquealer as he starts heading for the door with his companions.

Arminus shrugs.

"Well, typically civilizations need currency like this to get around problems with trading things like how many bags of grain is a cow worth and how to give someone half a sheep. This way you can just give people this money and they give you their wares.... Oh! Speaking of wares, you've never had booze have you?"

"It's slang for alcohol. It's great stuff, loosens inhibitions, makes you feel good... but to much makes you sick so watch that. I'll see if we can pick some up while we're out. And paper doesn't have much value. It's basically got an agreed upon value that people follow because it's just so convenient."

Arminius shrugs.

5 hours ago, Strider said:

Returning to the computer terminal, Harry pulled up a tab he had seen earlier: some form of PHO message board. And one small message, hidden amongst a great deal of clutter, read <"Requesting a meeting with the constructive foreigners who were over by the apartment."> Huh. Probably not someone from the PHO then, or at least not someone who had been at the meeting. Couldn't be Lung, which left either civilians, the gangsters, or whoever controlled the bugs. Civilians wouldn't word the request so cryptically, and the gangsters were probably all serving some form of brief sentence. Had to be the commander of the bugs. "Kusuke, someone wants to meet us, it seems." Harry gestured to his screen. "Probably gonna pester them for some info before agreeing or anything, but do you have any thoughts on the matter?"

"Huh." Kusuke took a long draw off of his coffee - he seemed to have missed the memo on the whole "sipping" bit. "Try to get some info, and I'll head over there myself or with one other person. It's pretty hard to ambush me, if that's what they're after. Plus, you know, I'm so incredibly charming." He said the last bit dryly. "Unless we want to drag everyone out there, but you never know who's actually around. This place has a lot of big players running around."

Proditor

Suddenly, the door to the warehouse opens up, ever slightly, letting the floating form of Proditor in. The Ethereal continued to float in, letting the door close behind him without even touching it. As he approached the rest of the group, he took notice of an unfamiliar figure, sitting with the others and eating alongside of them. A line of thoughts went through Proditor's head, though he quickly picked the one conclusion that made the most sense in this scenario.

"I see we have a new arrival" Proditor said as he approached the group, unmoving form gazing at Lucille specifically.

"Once I've got a time set up, I'll tell you. Also, make sure to take someone with you, you don't know exactly who this is, and they might have a counter to you. I'd suggest Proditor, Soma, or Frigus. Jun would be a reasonable option too." Harry typed the following message as a DM to the source of this message, Eye_For_Detail. <"Requesting reason to meet with you. -A constructive alien."> This would be sent from an account named ConnecticutYankee.

"You enjoying the coffee, then? I'm sure they'd let you take a bucket of it if you threatened them nicely." Harry grinned slightly, scrolling through one of the active PHO threads.

"Anyway, you find anything interesting? Found a bit about Capes myself, some healing hero named Panacea, but a lot seems to rely on an understanding of the local politics and culture. Definitely gonna take a while, as they've got everything listed down. Never though I'd experience the unbridled excitement of high school social studies ever again. What sweet nostalgia." Harry sighed. "To be entirely honest though, it's interesting. Less of the quiet greedy parasites-on-society inherent to most politics, more balance of power between skintight-suit-clad maniacs."

Edited by Strider

Lilly seems impressed as she puts on the next batch. "Neat, how far can you hear?"
She turns to the leaving pair "Oh I don't suppose you could pick up a bag for me? I kinda.....losssst mine a bit before getting dragged into this, so I don't have anywhere to carry anything" The way she says lost implies there's a story to this, And as Proditor enters she holds up a plate of food.

Ador shivers, and curls up next to her.
"Don't like. But understand. Try avoid. Life here reasonable thus far."

The response comes quickly enough to satisfy Harry.

<"That's fine, me and my friends just wanted to have a talk with you and your friends, you really got us out of a pickle there with that big guy and his little entourage, and our mutual Bug-friend certainly didn't hurt matters either.  Want to set up a meeting after your playdate tomorrow?"

"I like the name, by the way.  Very telling ;). -A friendly neighborhood tattletale">

"Huh. Kusuke, they know about our power testing. I'm setting up a meeting at three tomorrow. You and two other people. This tattletale person mentioned us meeting them and their friends. Plural." Harry typed out a message to this new contact. <"Quite the early bird I see. Three in the afternoon sound fine?-A constructive alien."> That would have to do for now, Harry thought, as he closed headed back to the public spheres of PHO. This person, whomever they were, was quite disturbing. They knew about the power testing session, or were pretending they did, and they had seemed to recognize something in his username. Either an expert bluffer, or someone even more dangerous.

Mirri ignores the offered food; there's little guarantee that alien foods are compatible with her, so she's reluctant to trust anything she hasn't scanned and prepared herself.  Instead, she chokes down a ration bar when she thinks nobody's looking, before finding an open place within the warehouse to set up an impromptu firing range.  Then she starts practicing with her stun bolts, keeping an ear out for anyone who's approaching to talk.  

1 hour ago, Endlessblaze said:

Lilly seems impressed as she puts on the next batch. "Neat, how far can you hear?"
She turns to the leaving pair "Oh I don't suppose you could pick up a bag for me? I kinda.....losssst mine a bit before getting dragged into this, so I don't have anywhere to carry anything" The way she says lost implies there's a story to this, And as Proditor enters she holds up a plate of food.

Ador shivers, and curls up next to her.
"Don't like. But understand. Try avoid. Life here reasonable thus far."

Again, Lucille only shrugged "Depends what you want to qualify hearing by- it's different for me than you people. You've got eyes that work, you don't have to rely on hearing both to make out sounds and to see. I do. Just because I can hear and understand something doesn't mean I can map it out using the sounds. And just because I can map something out using sound means I can actually understand what it's saying.

I've managed to understand conversations from maybe a Klick or two away before, with a bit of focus and little interference. I've been able to map sounds from several dozens of Klicks before though, in an open, outdoor area... "

She paused for a moment, idly scratching Ador's head before- "like right now, if I focus, I can make out the sound of water flowing nearby, a lot of it, too much and too rhythmic to be something like a fixture... this place is close a river or the ocean, isn't it? But even though I can hear water right now, I can't well... see it. I can only map things out as far as the walls of this place in any detail, since that's the point where most of the echoes bounce back off of."

As Proditor floated in Frigus turned and sat up a little straighter, "I was wondering where you'd gone.  How are you feeling?  I tried to do what I could when Lung threw that fire at you, and I heard from the others that you were in another fight." He turned back to look at Lucille, "And yes, we do seem to have a new recruit."

He paused, thinking for several seconds.

"I guess we should give you names huh, I'm Frigus, the two that just left were Calvera and Arminus? Arminius.  The one who just er...'walked' in is Proditor, the one cooking your dinner is Lilly, and the one in the back is Somatatro-something-I-cant-pronounce, we've been referring to her a Soma."