Looking for a solid amount of information, regarding breeding.

Blackbeared

The title does say alot but not the full details. And with details I mean, like I know what Breeding is and how it works (Definitely did a read through on the Breeding guide that's been stickied (This One <----)).

However I am still left with questions, mostly because Reborn adds some items that makes breeding, let's say more interessting ?

So the extend of my breeding was mostly with Ditto's. Although the only thing I've bred were Eevee's to get more Eeveelutions, not taking in regard EV's & IV's or moves or anything, I just wanted the Eeveelutions.

In other words, in breeding I am still a dumb person mostly. But in Reborn I want to give it a try, like I've seen people post picture's showing of a Shiny Beldum (or Eevee or whatever pokemon) having 5-6 perfect IV's and I am left wondering. How to get those perfect IV's. I know where to find the IV's on my Pokémon, but I have no clue how they work in regard of Breeding. 

I'll basically make a checklist of sorts of things I really wanna know, what they do how to influence them etc.

• Can Ditto breed with EVERY Pokémon, including Genderless pokemon like Beldum?
  • Can you influence IV's in terms of raising it from like 12 to 30 ? 
  • If you can't influence IV's in terms of raising it, how does one obtain good IV's, just catching random Pokémon in the hope they get better IV's?
  • If you CAN influence IV's in terms of raising it, how so? Are they just random everytime you get a new Pokémon egg ?
  • I've read there are items that the 2 Pokémon can hold, Destiny Knot I believe one is called, how do those work ?
  • Can moves still be past down through breeding, I know TM breeding is gone (For lack of better term) at the moment, but it might return, but can moves still given to other Pokémon through breeding ?

If there is any other information besides these points that I should know about do let me know. I really for some reason wanna do some breeding in this game, no idea why but to get better Pokémons I guess for when E17 arrives :D.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Blackbeared said:

Can Ditto breed with EVERY Pokémon, including Genderless pokemon like Beldum?

It can breed with anything not in the Undiscovered Egg group (mostly the legendary/myticals and baby mons) and itself

• Can you influence IV's in terms of raising it from like 12 to 30 ? 

No, IV's are set from the moment the egg is made and can only be changed via hacking.  

• If you can't influence IV's in terms of raising it, how does one obtain good IV's, just catching random Pokémon in the hope they get better IV's?

That's essentially the starting point, unless you get a good IV mon from someone to start with.  Probably aim for one or two stats with high (or perfect) values and go from there.......if you are starting from scratch.  For event mons, soft-reseting is the way to go, since you can easily get high IV's with enough patience.

Then breed it with a mon with high stats in another area until you get one with both high stats.......it's also possible for an egg to get high IV's in one of it's non-inherited IV's.

• I've read there are items that the 2 Pokémon can hold, Destiny Knot I believe one is called, how do those work ?

If bred without the DK, an egg only inheriets 3 random IV's from it's parents, with the other 3 being random from 0 to 31.  As long as 1 mon is holding the DK, the egg inherits five of it's IV values randomly from it's parents, with the last slot being completely random (from 0 to 31).  One parent holding a power item also ensures that it's corrisponding IV is passed down to the child.

• Can moves still be past down through breeding, I know TM breeding is gone (For lack of better term) at the moment, but it might return, but can moves still given to other Pokémon through breeding ?

Of course.  Egg moves are in the canon games so they are in Reborn.  Bulbapedia has a list of moves and how to get them for each mon.  While TM breeding won't be re-introduced, you can still do it on the Reborn Hardcore mod for Ep 16

Edited by seki108

Only other thing I'd add to the above is the everstone. Basically, it guarantees that whichever parent is holding it will pass on it's nature to the child. Granted, it's more useful when breeding in the actual games than in reborn as here you're able to change your Pokemon's nature willingly, but hey it could save ya a few heart scales if that's important to ya.

Also if you're breeding for a Nidoran, ya can't have a Nidoqueen be the parent as fsr it can't breed with anything, including ditto.

through my recent breeding in reborn i've noticed that using the DK only passes like 3 iv stats to the offspring so what i've been doing to get better stats is i got two pokemon with good iv totals and gave both of them a DK and got better results, and when i get a pokemon with a good iv total but a bad nature i just take it to the pokemon psychiatrist on 7th street and get the nature i want.

Edited by Jemusu
All ready said above

8 hours ago, seki108 said:

It can breed with anything not in the Undiscovered Egg group (mostly the legendary/myticals and baby mons) and itself

No, IV's are set from the moment the egg is made and can only be changed via hacking.  

That's essentially the starting point, unless you get a good IV mon from someone to start with.  Probably aim for one or two stats with high (or perfect) values and go from there.......if you are starting from scratch.  For event mons, soft-reseting is the way to go, since you can easily get high IV's with enough patience.

Then breed it with a mon with high stats in another area until you get one with both high stats.......it's also possible for an egg to get high IV's in one of it's non-inherited IV's.

If bred without the DK, an egg only inheriets 3 random IV's from it's parents, with the other 3 being random from 0 to 31.  As long as 1 mon is holding the DK, the egg inherits five of it's IV values randomly from it's parents, with the last slot being completely random (from 0 to 31).  One parent holding a power item also ensures that it's corrisponding IV is passed down to the child.

Of course.  Egg moves are in the canon games so they are in Reborn.  Bulbapedia has a list of moves and how to get them for each mon.  While TM breeding won't be re-introduced, you can still do it on the Reborn Hardcore mod for Ep 16

So this much pretty covers anything I wish to know mostly, followup question though. So with the Eevee I got, it doesn't have great IV's nor does Beldum. But could it still be possibly through breeding with higher IV Pokémon, can it still get higher IV's, atleast their offsprings.

Like let's say Eevee has 12 in every IV, and I breed it with something in it's Egg Group that has 15 in every IV, is it possible the offspring will have 13 in every IV and I can breed with the offspring to increase IV's. Just saying random stuff cause I know it won't inherit all the IV's at once or increase them all at once. Just curious if this could potentially work.

Also TM Breeding, isn't that in the main series aswell or was that just a romhack thing? It's very understandable if it isn't in Reborn though as it can get pretty powerfull.

1 minute ago, Blackbeared said:

So this much pretty covers anything I wish to know mostly, followup question though. So with the Eevee I got, it doesn't have great IV's nor does Beldum. But could it still be possibly through breeding with higher IV Pokémon, can it still get higher IV's, atleast their offsprings.

Like let's say Eevee has 12 in every IV, and I breed it with something in it's Egg Group that has 15 in every IV, is it possible the offspring will have 13 in every IV and I can breed with the offspring to increase IV's. Just saying random stuff cause I know it won't inherit all the IV's at once or increase them all at once. Just curious if this could potentially work.

Also TM Breeding, isn't that in the main series aswell or was that just a romhack thing? It's very understandable if it isn't in Reborn though as it can get pretty powerfull.

Yeah it doesn't work like that, if you had one of them hold a destiny knot you would get something like 15 / 15 / 12 / 12 / 12 / x

with x being completely random between 0-31, basically in order to get perfect IV:s you gotta breed with pokemon that have some perfect IV:S

Just now, Teme95 said:

Yeah it doesn't work like that, if you had one of them hold a destiny knot you would get something like 15 / 15 / 12 / 12 / 12 / x

with x being completely random between 0-31, basically in order to get perfect IV:s you gotta breed with pokemon that have some perfect IV:S

Ah alright, thanks. Oh well no matter if my IV's aren't that great. Now I know what to look for :D. Shame Eevee & Beldum are a little bit further in the story otherwise I would go there again and soft reset. No matter though, the looks and moves are what matters more to me ^^. Thanks though :D!

3 hours ago, Teme95 said:

Perhaps another question. Looking at the breeding list on Bulbapedia with breeding. Eevee can breed with quite some Pokémon for moves, like let's say Bidoof for Curse. What if the Bidoof has perfect IV's, how does that relate to the offspring in IV's with items like Destiny Knot etc ? The same as the last example I'm sure ?

let's say that your Eevee has 10 in all iv's and Bidoof 31 in all 6 of them.

Eevee is holding an destiny knot and Bidoof and power anklet.

The destiny knot ensures that 5 Iv's are inherited from the parents and 1 is random form 0 to 31.

the power anklet ensures that Bidoof passes on its speed iv, so only 4 remain

those 4 can all be from Eevee, all from Bidoof or a mixture of the two.

A possible result could be :

hp: 31 (from Bidoof)

att: 10 (from Eevee)

def:10 (from Eevee)

s att:10 (from Eevee)

s def: 28 (the random one)

spd: 31 (power anklet,from Bidoof)

I often find it more beneficial to use two different power items than a destiny knot, especially if i really only care about two stats (like hp and def or att and spd)

26 minutes ago, Juppie said:

The destiny knot ensures that 5 Iv's are inherited from the parents and 1 is random form 0 to 31.

I often find it more beneficial to use two different power items than a destiny knot, especially if i really only care about two stats (like hp and def or att and spd)

Ah alright like that, so technically even if for example you want a Special Attacker Eevee (No idea why but hey example) but it only has 10, but your special Bidoof has 31, then you can give the Bidoof an item so the Eevee ineherits the Special IV's, atleast that's what I'm thinking atm. That's pretty nifty :D.

1 hour ago, Blackbeared said:

Ah alright like that, so technically even if for example you want a Special Attacker Eevee (No idea why but hey example) but it only has 10, but your special Bidoof has 31, then you can give the Bidoof an item so the Eevee ineherits the Special IV's, atleast that's what I'm thinking atm. That's pretty nifty :D.

Yes, the power items are good for ensuring a certain IV is passed down. 

On 11/2/2017 at 8:39 AM, Juppie said:

So if you were committed to breeding a high-IV eevee, and you were lucky enough that this offspring-eevee in the above example was a female, you would then want to replace the mother with this new eevee. So now you'd have your perfect IV Bidoof breeding with this new eevee that had 31/10/10/10/28/31 
If you're still lucky you might get something like :
hp: 31 (from bidoof or eevee)

att: 10 (from eevee)
def: 18 (the random one)
s att: 31 (from bidoof)
s def: 28 (from eevee)

s def: 31 (from bidoof or eevee) 

You'll probably have to run through a lot of eggs to get a high IV mon, and eevee takes a bit longer because of the 12.5% female ratio. Having a pokemon with magma armor in your party halves the number of steps to hatch an egg though. I think Flame Body works too. Good luck! 

Edited by Dante52
correction on the gender ratio

7 hours ago, Dante52 said:

So if you were committed to breeding a high-IV eevee, and you were lucky enough that this offspring-eevee in the above example was a female, you would then want to replace the mother with this new eevee

This indeed helps a lot with with getting a better iv Pokemon. be careful with passing on moves this way, since the first few levels are gained really fast and moves are overwritten in the daycare.

when a Pokemon gains a level in the daycare and can learn a move, it will. the move at the top will be unlearned and the new move will be placed at the bottom (A,B,C,D-->B,C,D,E).

there are two things to note here though:

1) Pokemon do not evolve in the daycare, level them up once more after to trigger the evolution.

2) moves get updated after retrieving the Pokemon, so they still pass on the moves they have when you put them in the daycare, not the ones they learned in the meantime, even if the originals are overwritten.

That is of course until you take it out and put it back in.

Having a Pokemon with magma armor or flame body in your party (does not need to be in the first spot) indeed halves the time the hatch it (progress in hatching is doubled).