The Political Soap Box

Maelstrom

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my next question, and I am in no ways meaning to offend anyone by this.

Do you consider racism and racial profiling to be one in the same?

----GODOT REPLY-----

Do be honest, no.

I see racism as a term used for derogatory insults. Racial slurs that are used to put down or make someone feel inferior from one to another.

Whereas racial profiling to me is more of "stereotyping". Such as "he is black, he must be good at basketball."

I am assuming that you are trying to compare my opinions to the incident in Fergison. I don't care about the fact that a white cop shot a black criminal. I am more concerned about the riots and reaction coming from the public. Despite how you and I feel like that the case resulted. I feel that the people throwing riots for something they hardly understand themselves is more of a concern than the military flavored approach that the Fergison police are taking.

I personally believe that if one won't listen to reason, an extreme must be taken. How else are you supposed to reach out to he thick headed?

If I'm walking down the streets in a city, like Chicago or Detroit at night, and I see a black person coming the other way, I decide to play it safe and go the other way, and be mentally prepared to grab my concealed carry fire arm, but not act prematurely. I'm making an attempt to avoid conflict all together. For the sake of argument, nothing happens. Would you consider me racist for being fearful of what someone like that might do?

Neo would. That was his argument earlier against me, that judging would be wrong. Whether initial judgements are wrong or not, they happen and are an attempt at preparing for future interactions. And one control's one's world when one can predict and alter outcomes to one's favor.

It's kind of a fact of life that life experiences and perceptions are always used to ready a person in some way for what might happen.

Initial judgments are usually dependent on the when and where. There are many cases, however, that those "initial judgments", whether they be ridiculous or justified, have ended up proving to save someone's life in the long run.

If I'm walking down the streets in a city, like Chicago or Detroit at night, and I see a black person coming the other way, I decide to play it safe and go the other way, and be mentally prepared to grab my concealed carry fire arm, but not act prematurely. I'm making an attempt to avoid conflict all together. For the sake of argument, nothing happens. Would you consider me racist for being fearful of what someone like that might do?

Hell no. Though I'd argue race, at least from my point of view, has little or nothing to do with it. (The media's and your friends' portrayals of said people would, IMO, have most likely played into your judgment.)

Nevertheless, you're walking through a notoriously sketchy city, at a notoriously sketchy time of day. You'd better be prepared.

Neo would. That was his argument earlier against me, that judging would be wrong. Whether initial judgements are wrong or not, they happen and are an attempt at preparing for future interactions. And one control's one's world when one can predict and alter outcomes to one's favor.

It's kind of a fact of life that life experiences and perceptions are always used to ready a person in some way for what might happen.

Don't put words in my mouth, fuccboi.

If the ONLY reason why you're worried is because of the person's race, then yeah, you're fucking racist. If there are other factors contributing to the danger of the situation, then no of course not.

Indeed, clothing and media influence play a big role in that, don't they.

Anyways, here's a video that I would have a lot to say about if I were on my computer, which would make it easier to do a lot of things. Have a look see and comment.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video/bestoftv/2014/08/31/rs-radical-cleric-speaks-about-isis.cnn.html?c=homepage-t

• 1 month later...

https://vt.tumblr.com/tumblr_nd3pa8gxnb1qewhh5.mp4#_=_

This shit here got me fucked up. Video evidence that the people did nothing wrong, and yet the cops thought it okay to break the window and taze the guy. The family filed a federal lawsuit, and this video will probably win it for them, assuming the cops aren't in bed with the prosecutor like the Ferguson police department.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/family-sues-hammond-police-over-traffic-stop-violence

I've been seeing a recent rise in support of Communism lately (not here but on the internet as a whole) so let me just clarify something for everyone.

If you like video games, you don't like Communism. Because the simple fact is that Communist nations either don't make video games, or they're like China and they make BAAAAAAAAD video games.

It's not like those countries are bad at communism in the first place, having a direct correlation on the quality of anything they do.

>>

<<

Supply and Demand as well as the materials they are given in turn because of said supply and demand.

There's no need to be innovative and hence they feel no need to put anything but the bare minimum up as a product. Competition isn't an issue.

Are we going to keep quiet about the fact that another black citizen in St. Louis was killed after being shot 16 times by the police standing guard there, and that there is video evidence to prove that he was unarmed despite what the police claimed?

One of the articles:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/st-louis-police-officer-shoots-kills-man-during-pedestrian-c#3y0qcd2

police afraid of black people: confirmed. why you black peeps gotta be so scary?

Yeah, see. It's not very funny when it gets to the point that many people live in fear. To you, this may seem trivial, but this is a huge fucking issue. I'd get into it again with you, but we've seen where that discussion has gone.

I agree. This issue has become exponentially larger and getting worse still. It's sad that after all the hard work the nation has done to minimize racism and discrimination we have a few people who's radical actions and flawed views of equality are beginning to digress the nation back into a time of "white vs. black" or so on and so forth. I keep telling myself that not everybody is like that, and it's true, the vast majority is not. However if you guys those who are like that power over others of some sort, you get problems. And there is no way to single out those people. So being a black person myself who just got his driving permit I increasingly have to be careful about how I speak, handle myself, act and among other things as to not give the wrong impression or as mentioned earlier, seem like a danger. But yeah, I know America has tons of other problems on its hands right now but this isn't something that should be allowed to run rampant and un-addressed, because we shouldn't be living in a world where we have be scared because of who we are, where we are from or what we look like.

I'm going to derail this conversation for a moment in favor of making a speech driven by the most enlightening conversation I've had since I learned the Tooth Fairy wasn't real.

Tonight I had the pleasure of sitting down for dinner with Mr. Franklin Silbey, a man who, at a ripe 79 years of age, still has the most agile mind of any man I have ever had the privilege of speaking with. He has spent many, many years on Capitol Hill as a staffer for many notable politicians, including (but certainly not limited to) Senator Orrin Hatch ® of Utah, Senator Max Baucus (D), and Representative John Moss (D). Mr. Silbey was formerly extremely active within the Democratic Party and has years of experience in our government. With my knowledge of his career, it came as a huge surprise to me when he declared, "I am a recovering Democrat." By this, he meant that he has switched sides. He now votes Republican and gives a lot of support to Republican candidates through his contacts in his old field.

Mr. Silbey gave me one simple reason for this switch: "I didn't leave my party. My party left me." For those of you who have stuck around long enough to read to here, I'm sure you're wondering why he would say something like that. The answer is relatively easy to pinpoint: the Democratic Party of today is not the Democratic Party that once was. At one point, the Democratic Party stood for liberalism. They wanted to enact productive social change in order to better the lives of Americans. However, what we have seen over the past 20 years is a slide away from the moderate center and toward the far left. America once stood for ambition, stood for the idea that one man could lift himself up by his bootstraps like Mr. Silbey, a child of poor immigrants from "the old country," did by working the graveyard shift at a steel mill for $1.62 an hour to put himself through college. And this man, who is a rather wealthy man who no longer benefits from Capitol Hill, wants to see change. More than anything, he says he wants to see young people step up to the plate and change the ill-fated course that we are currently on. And he wants us to do it by voting Republican.

The Democratic Party of today seeks to undermine that American self-reliance and ambition which is rewarded by our economic system. Instead of encouraging people to look after their own interests, be responsible, and, most importantly, to strive for their dreams no matter the cost, they tell us only not to worry and that the government will take care of everything. The simple fact is that America doesn't need more welfare programs. We already have unemployment benefits, free clinics, and public education systems. We have roads that stretch for hundreds of thousands of miles, all built on the government's (read: taxpayers') dime.

Why, you ask, am I sitting here on the toilet bashing the Democratic Party? I bash them because they've lost their way. I fancy myself a modern conservative; that is to say, my ideology is not guided by some book written a millennium and a half ago. It is not guided by the idea that I'm rich and everyone who's poor can suck a fat one. I bash them because the Democratic Party is no longer the American party. They prey on the hopes and wishful thinking of the downtrodden and the poor, the social outcasts and those who have been wrongly punished by an unjust system of government.

I bash them because I believe that the Republican Party, as misguided as they are currently, holds the most hope for our future as a country. They're not just old curmudgeons who are stuck in their ways. They are politicians who are too old to understand the needs and wants of a generation born into a different world than they were. We as young people need to speak up and speak out. We need to express the fact that we will not vote for a candidate who does not support the enactment of social change, and we need to do it loudly. We need to tell them what issues are important to us so they can change their platform. A political party has only one goal: to acquire votes. If we are loud and we make ourselves heard, if we do this civilly through discussion with our local politicians and party representatives, then perhaps we can help Frank Silbey's dream come true. Perhaps we can change a nation. Perhaps we can change the world. It all starts with us. In 20 years, we will be the majority. Let's not be the majority that stood idly by as our predecessors ran our country head first into the ground. Let's not be the "Lost Generation." Let's be the generation that made our dreams a reality.

Edited by Jory

Sorry, but I'm a fiscal conservative. Libertarians should vote Republican if you want to make a difference. I could easily see the Republican party becoming more Libertarian-friendly in the near future, especially with the large number of college students interested in that political leaning.

EDIT: To clarify, I vote Independent, and usually for the Libertarian candidate. I don't feel the Republican party yet deserves my support. They need to embrace social progressivism before I'm willing to cast my ballot for them.

Edited by Jory

Fiscal Conservatism is Libertarianism, but much less extreme and with much less political weight. My political views are governed by my idea of what creates a high-functioning society, not by my personal freedoms (although I believe that a person has the right to do what he wants provided it does not infringe on the rights of others).

I don't think people should even be labelling their political views. Seriously, we shouldn't have categories for such thinngs, nor should we have these 2 parties that most politicians belong to. Dp you know how many independent presidents we have had in history? Zero. (George Washington does not count.) Now we're in a lot of standstills because of petty bickering and nonsense, where group A and group B refuse to get along or compromise.

I'm not liberal or libertarian or left or right or anything, I won't classify myself that way.

Edited by chuckles