Tips in how to improve

Macspie

Some backstory: I akways used to be a casual fan of the pokemon games. i'd get my fav mon from each type and breeze through the game usually with my 6 pokemon i got in the early game ocassionaly switching with better mon or legendaries. Obviously this doesn't work in reborn. 

Well actually it did for te majority of the time but then when i got to the battle of you and florinia vs fern and blake i had so much trouble i basically used several revives and had to count on rng to be on my side. I took a good HOUR in order to be able to win the full section (altho fern/blake were the only hard part. the 2 meteors and solaris + meteor was a steamroll) 

But there is where i realized "my team is weaker than i thought"  (even tho adriens gym was sweeped by purely my metagross)

So here i'd like to all of you of ways to improving my main team and also some good switch-in's for situations as im currently about to head into the deserT. (Well correction i went into the desert could find anything and left) 

My current setup: 

Blaziken 

Nature: Hasty 

Ability: Speedboost 

Moves: 

Bravebird 

High jump kick 

Flare blitz 

Flamethrower 

Metagross (ngl i googled how to get this one since i looked up good steel types after my steelix fell short)

Nature: Adamant 

Ability: Clear body 

Moves: 

Bullet punch 

Zen Headbutt 

Rock Smash (switching mostly hm's in this slot) 

Psychic 

Crobat 

Ability Infiltrator 

Moves: 

Fly 

Air slash 

Acrobatics

Venoshock 

Gardevoire

Nature: Timid 

Ability: Trace 

Moves: 

Moonblast 

Psychic 

Calm mind 

Pain split 

Vaporeon: 

Nature: Serious

Ability: Hydration 

Moves:

Surf 

Hydropump  

Muddy water

Aurora beam 

Luxray 

Nature: Mild 

Ability: Rivalry 

Moves: 

Wild charge

Crunch 

Iron Tail 

Discharge

My main switchin's consist of 

Spiritomb (my boss cheese mon who hypnoes and curses)

Nature: Rash 

Ability: Infiltrator 

Moves: 

Hyposis 

Dream Eater 

Curse

Dark Pulse 

Arcenine 

Nature carefull 

Ability: Flash Fire 

Moves: 

Flamethrower 

Heat wave

Flame Burst

Crunch 

Toxicroak 

Nature: Lax 

Ability: poison touch 

Moves:

Sludgebomb 

Drain punch 

Suckerpunch 

Mud bomb 

Please suggest any pokemon i coudl add to strengthen my team or changes in moves or whatever ^^ im desperate for  a better team

1 minute ago, Macspie said:

Some backstory: I akways used to be a casual fan of the pokemon games. i'd get my fav mon from each type and breeze through the game usually with my 6 pokemon i got in the early game ocassionaly switching with better mon or legendaries. Obviously this doesn't work in reborn. 

Well actually it did for te majority of the time but then when i got to the battle of you and florinia vs fern and blake i had so much trouble i basically used several revives and had to count on rng to be on my side. I took a good HOUR in order to be able to win the full section (altho fern/blake were the only hard part. the 2 meteors and solaris + meteor was a steamroll) 

But there is where i realized "my team is weaker than i thought"  (even tho adriens gym was sweeped by purely my metagross)

So here i'd like to all of you of ways to improving my main team and also some good switch-in's for situations as im currently about to head into the deserT. (Well correction i went into the desert could find anything and left) 

My current setup: 

Blaziken 

Nature: Hasty 

Ability: Speedboost 

Moves: 

Bravebird 

High jump kick 

Flare blitz 

Flamethrower 

Metagross (ngl i googled how to get this one since i looked up good steel types after my steelix fell short)

Ability: Clear body 

Moves: 

Bullet punch 

Zen Headbutt 

Rock Smash (switching mostly hm's in this slot) 

Psychic 

Crobat 

Ability Infiltrator 

Moves: 

Fly 

Air slash 

Acrobatics

Venoshock 

Gardevoire

Nature: Timid 

Ability: Trace 

Moves: 

Moonblast 

Psychic 

Calm mind 

Pain split 

Vaporeon: 

Nature: Serious

Ability: Hydration 

Moves:

Surf 

Hydropump  

Muddy water

Aurora beam 

Luxray 

Nature: Mild 

Ability: Rivalry 

Moves: 

Wild charge

Crunch 

Iron Tail 

Discharge

My main switchin's consist of 

Spiritomb (my boss cheese mon who hypnoes and curses)

Nature: Rash 

Ability: Infiltrator 

Moves: 

Hyposis 

Dream Eater 

Curse

Dark Pulse 

Arcenine 

Nature carefull 

Ability: Flash Fire 

Moves: 

Flamethrower 

Heat wave

Flame Burst

Crunch 

Toxicroak 

Nature: Lax 

Ability: poison touch 

Moves:

Sludgebomb 

Drain punch 

Suckerpunch 

Mud bomb 

Please suggest any pokemon i coudl add to strengthen my team or changes in moves or whatever ^^ im desperate for  a better team

Your team seems solid enough to me~

Change Crobat into a scout,invest speed as possible,give him a black sludge

Fly 

Toxic/Cross Poison

Defog/Roost

U-turn

Fly is good because he can restore HP more in a two-turn move,mine heart scales to change your Crobat nature  into a Jolly one in 7th street,Hasty Blaziken is a no go,Blaziken is already fragile,

Give your Vaporeon Acid Armor,

I'd say get rid of Luxray,

Get Magnezone,

Teach Gardy Misty Terrain,

And you are all set.

Ev training is somewhat important in this game,or you will be punished,

2 hours ago, Thundermaze said:

Fly 

Toxic/Cross Poison

Defog/Roost

U-turn

Fly is good because he can restore HP more in a two-turn move,mine heart scales to change your Crobat nature  into a Jolly one in 7th street,Hasty Blaziken is a no go,Blaziken is already fragile,

Get Magnezone,

And you are all set.

Hmm i had a feeling luxray was one of my more solid pokemon but il try it. i have 2 magnetons caugth anyway ^^ any reccomended nature for them? Il try to grind some heart scales (no idea how tho) to get those moves back.  Ive never done EV/IV training things tbh il have to do some research on how  that exactly works

2 hours ago, Thundermaze said:

Fly 

Toxic/Cross Poison

Defog/Roost

U-turn

Get Magnezone,

And you are all set.

Also how do i get magnetone to evolve in magnezone..im lvling it up at the powerplant rn its alr lvl 50

1 hour ago, Macspie said:

Hmm i had a feeling luxray was one of my more solid pokemon but il try it. i have 2 magnetons caugth anyway ^^ any reccomended nature for them? Il try to grind some heart scales (no idea how tho) to get those moves back.  Ive never done EV/IV training things tbh il have to do some research on how  that exactly works

You should train a Timid Magnezone,and i'd say teach it  Electric terrain,because field effects can save you from a lot of situtaions,If you wanna hit hard with Magnezone which i don't recommend,get a Modest one.

Volt Switch/Discharge

Flash Cannon 

Thunder Wave

Electric Terrain

I'd say let it have Sturdy,you can live even if it's Ground type and can set up Electric Terrain,

~

Remember to EV training and you will be fine~

Also how do i get magnetone to evolve in magnezone..im lvling it up at the powerplant rn its alr lvl 50

You should obtain Yureyu Key,and level up Magneton in a secret room in Shade's Gym.

1 hour ago, Thundermaze said:

Fly 

Toxic/Cross Poison

Defog/Roost

U-turn

Get Magnezone,

And you are all set.

Also,

You don't have any Grass type or Ground type,

You should at least have Grass type for utility reasons in your rotations,

And Ground is the most offensive type in the meta-game,which also generally physically defensive and bulky,

A Jolly Mamoswine or Adamant Swampert for the win ~

3 minutes ago, Thundermaze said:

Also,

You don't have any Grass type or Ground type,

You should at least have Grass type for utility reasons in your rotations,

And Ground is the most offensive type in the meta-game,which also generally physically defensive and bulky,

A Jolly Mamoswine or Adamant Swampert for the win ~

I googled how to get swamper since mudkip was my second choice for a starter but it seems you cant get it anymore :( Il try to get a mamoswine somehow as soon as i get a magneton which means im going to have to get the yureyu key first 

For grass i have no idea what to get tbh.

Edited by Macspie

Just now, Macspie said:

I googled how to get swamper since mudkip was my second choice for a starter but it seems you cant get it anymore :( Il try to get a mamoswine somehow as soon as i get a magneton which means im going to have to get the yureyu key first 

I can breed you a Mudkip if you like,

But it will have random IV's and nature ~

2 minutes ago, Thundermaze said:

2 minutes ago, Thundermaze said:

That would be great ^^ altho ive never used the online aspect of reborn (as i said just finished ep 16 only to find out ep 17 is out and redownloaded)  i do have an online account tho. so i'd love to trade it would also teach me how it exactly works.

4 minutes ago, Macspie said:

You can get foongus in Azurine Island as a Grass Type,

Or you can obtain the Chespin Egg,if you complete sick husband sidequest in Lapis Ward.

Your Crobat doesn't have Brave Bird, which is one of the best sweeping skill for Crobat.

Also some of your Pokemons have both Physical and Special attack moves. I would rather invest in only one Attack Type, so where IV Training helps a lot too.

For a Grass Pokemon you could go with Roserade? Thats the Grass-Mon i used in my Runs.

Also your team consist mostly out of Glass Cannons (Except Metagross).

Edited by CrimsonDragon21

Just now, Macspie said:

That would be great ^^ altho ive never used the online aspect of reborn (as i said just finished ep 16 only to find out ep 17 is out and redownloaded)  i do have an online account tho. so i'd love to trade it would also teach me how it exactly works.

When you are in game open the menu and select Pokegear,choose Online Play,register yourself,any nickname and password will do,tell me your id then and we can have the trade,

You can give me any pokemon you like~

1 hour ago, Thundermaze said:

When you are in game open the menu if and select Pokegear,choose Online Play,register yourself,any nickname and password will do,tell me your id then and we can have the trade,

You can give me any pokemon you like~

Id: Macspie 

Thank you so much  ^^ il try to give smth decent. i have some levelled old switchins i can trade for it tbh

1 hour ago, CrimsonDragon21 said:

Your Crobat doesn't have Brave Bird, which is one of the best sweeping skill for Crobat.

Also some of your Pokemons have both Physical and Special attack moves. I would rather invest in only one Attack Type, so where IV Training helps a lot too.

For a Grass Pokemon you could go with Roserade? Thats the Grass-Mon i used in my Runs.

Does it learn brave bid through leveling? im pretty sure i would have taken it if it did. I went with acrobatics cause it seemed amazingly OP as long crobat doesnt wear an item 

For grass roserade seems solid the only better choice i can imagine would be a serperior (never been really into grass types lel)

Just now, Macspie said:

Id: Macspie 

Thank you so much  ^^ il try to give smth decent. i have some levelled old switchins i can trade for it tbh

I will let you know when your poke's are ready,

Also i will breed you a bulbasaur ~

2 minutes ago, Macspie said:

Does it learn brave bid through leveling? im pretty sure i would have taken it if it did. I went with acrobatics cause it seemed amazingly OP as long crobat doesnt wear an item 

For grass roserade seems solid the only better choice i can imagine would be a serperior (never been really into grass types lel)

Ah jeah he only gets Brave Bird through breeding. And jeah Acrobatics works fine too, i think best with Fly Gem. But as Z-Moves are introduced in E17 you might want to have a Z-Move equipped.

Jeah i really don't like Grass Types either, they are pretty weak. But Sceptile is one of my favorites Pokemons and he is a Grass Type, so jeah.

1 hour ago, CrimsonDragon21 said:

Ah jeah he only gets Brave Bird through breeding. And jeah Acrobatics works fine too, i think best with Fly Gem. But as Z-Moves are introduced in E17 you might want to have a Z-Move equipped.

Jeah i really don't like Grass Types either, they are pretty weak. But Sceptile is one of my favorites Pokemons and he is a Grass Type, so jeah.

Brave Bird is a great move but since Fly is mandatory in this game,i'd say don't wase your slot for a second Flying move,also i don't think Crobat has the sweeping potential,since he can't setup~

Thanks! il try to reply asap then. in the meanwile im gonna change my blazikens nature and get the yureyu key etc

Your Poke's are ready,

You have a perfect IV mudkip and shitty IV bulbasaur ~

Mudkip is calm tho,i suggest changing his nature to Adamant,since calm is a attack decreasing nature,

quote me when you are ready ~

Just now, Thundermaze said:

Your Poke's are ready,

You have a perfect IV mudkip and shitty IV bulbasaur ~

Mudkip is calm tho,i suggest changing his nature to Adamant,since calm is a attack decreasing nature,

quote me when you are ready ~

Ready

1 minute ago, Thundermaze said:

Kay~

Choose trade and choose wait for request,

I will send you to request~

Thank you so much ^^ i  dont have a lot of good sidemons but i tho id at least give you a shiny (i got a shiny hoothoot pretty much as my first encounter on my playthrough lol)

Just now, Macspie said:

Thank you so much ^^ i  dont have a lot of good sidemons but i tho id at least give you a shiny (i got a shiny hoothoot pretty much as my first encounter on my playthrough lol)

No it's okay~

You can give me your trash ~

Enjoy~

7 minutes ago, Thundermaze said:

Brave Bird is a great move but since Fly is mandatory in this game,i'd say don't wase your slot for a second Flying move,also i don't think Crobat has the sweeping potential,since he can't setup~

I think my Crobat sweeped a lot of Grass Mons and low defensive Glass Cannons.

He will always hit first and hard.

I like my Crobat

You are already using high-class pokemon. Luxray should definitely leave your team at this stage. You have the access to better electrics as well as other pokemon with electric coverage. I wouldn't recommend Magnezone because you already have a somewhat slow Steel type. Your rotation pokemon fill in exactly the same roles your primary team does. Blaziken makes Toxicroak and Arcanine redundant (albeit Luxray helps keep Arcanine in the PC thanks to its ability). I could argue that Blaziken and Gardevoir make up the offensive duo, while Vaporeon and Metagross are more needed to tank the damage. There is little support in between.

Crobat is a wonderful mon with enough bulk not to be considered a "glass cannon". There are sets with Roost and Black Sludge that prove its survivability. Since it's the only one to avoid EQ spams, I'd keep it. You could fiddle with its EVs and perhaps even give it Leech Life (now that it's boosted) to improve your coverage. It usually does not need an item to be effective, so even Acrobatics is a good move on it, def and hp EVs provided.

As it definitely seems, you wouldn't give up on Blaziken, Metagross or Gardevoir, even if it meant a more rounded team, so we'll make do with those and probably just change their sets. You must have noticed their moves cover up each other, without providing synergy. Make Metagross 100% physical with Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash and a filler move of your choice. Options are: Ice Punch (tutors exist), Hammer Arm (can't depend on Blaziken to do all the fighting job), Earthquake (unsure if you can get it yet), and Explosion (for those harder to defeat foes). Gardevoir can't tank enough damage nor is fast enough to use Pain Split the way eg Cofagrigus or Duscnoir does. I'd rather give it Shadow Ball or Magical Leaf (since you have zero grass coverage).

As for what to replace Luxray with, some ideas come to mind. The most overused one is Rotom-W or Rotom-M, since they alleviate your ground problem and provide some useful coverage whilst being bulky enough to take a few hits. The pivoting ability is nice, in my opinion. Unsure how it works out with your playstyle. Another option is Electivire, which overshadows Luxray in every single stat. The ability to have the elemental punches (especially Ice Punch) is a bonus you currently lack. A last pokemon I lik using is Eelektross but I don't see how it gets good synergy with Blaziken and Toxicroak being on the bench. It's merely a honorable mention at this point.

Then Vaporeon gets the spotlight. A great pokemon on its own, it's a major drop in momentum for your team, but all possible replacements add up to the Ghost/Dark weakness you ought to not overlook. Luckily ghost is a rare type in later stages of Reborn, and Dark... well that's everywhere, so you might want to check what to do with that.

An option is to replace Vaporeon with Primarina, a Water/Fairy type with potential of destroying enemy teams and will prove to be a great asset for the upcoming Dragon gym. Since Metagross and Crobat can take the physical damage, Primarina can sponge the special. Being part Fairy helps against Dark types but be careful of the double Fairies you get with Gardevoir still being in the party.

Another option is Milotic, a well-tested specially orientated beast without the Fairy subtyping although definitely packing the moves. 

If you are opting for a more adventurous alternative, Araquanid is a new addition to the game with great Fire defense, Bug coverage (helpful against Dark) and a practical Huge Power for Water moves. It matters little if you go physical or special. It gets the job done. 

13 minutes ago, NickCrash said:

You are already using high-class pokemon. Luxray should definitely leave your team at this stage. You have the access to better electrics as well as other pokemon with electric coverage. I wouldn't recommend Magnezone because you already have a somewhat slow Steel type. Your rotation pokemon fill in exactly the same roles your primary team does. Blaziken makes Toxicroak and Arcanine redundant (albeit Luxray helps keep Arcanine in the PC thanks to its ability). I could argue that Blaziken and Gardevoir make up the offensive duo, while Vaporeon and Metagross are more needed to tank the damage. There is little support in between.

Crobat is a wonderful mon with enough bulk not to be considered a "glass cannon". There are sets with Roost and Black Sludge that prove its survivability. Since it's the only one to avoid EQ spams, I'd keep it. You could fiddle with its EVs and perhaps even give it Leech Life (now that it's boosted) to improve your coverage. It usually does not need an item to be effective, so even Acrobatics is a good move on it, def and hp EVs provided.

As it definitely seems, you wouldn't give up on Blaziken, Metagross or Gardevoir, even if it meant a more rounded team, so we'll make do with those and probably just change their sets. You must have noticed their moves cover up each other, without providing synergy. Make Metagross 100% physical with Zen Headbutt, Bullet Punch, Meteor Mash and a filler move of your choice. Options are: Ice Punch (tutors exist), Hammer Arm (can't depend on Blaziken to do all the fighting job), Earthquake (unsure if you can get it yet), and Explosion (for those harder to defeat foes). Gardevoir can't tank enough damage nor is fast enough to use Pain Split the way eg Cofagrigus or Duscnoir does. I'd rather give it Shadow Ball or Magical Leaf (since you have zero grass coverage).

As for what to replace Luxray with, some ideas come to mind. The most overused one is Rotom-W or Rotom-M, since they alleviate your ground problem and provide some useful coverage whilst being bulky enough to take a few hits. The pivoting ability is nice, in my opinion. Unsure how it works out with your playstyle. Another option is Electivire, which overshadows Luxray in every single stat. The ability to have the elemental punches (especially Ice Punch) is a bonus you currently lack. A last pokemon I lik using is Eelektross but I don't see how it gets good synergy with Blaziken and Toxicroak being on the bench. It's merely a honorable mention at this point.

Then Vaporeon gets the spotlight. A great pokemon on its own, it's a major drop in momentum for your team, but all possible replacements add up to the Ghost/Dark weakness you ought to not overlook. Luckily ghost is a rare type in later stages of Reborn, and Dark... well that's everywhere, so you might want to check what to do with that.

An option is to replace Vaporeon with Primarina, a Water/Fairy type with potential of destroying enemy teams and will prove to be a great asset for the upcoming Dragon gym. Since Metagross and Crobat can take the physical damage, Primarina can sponge the special. Being part Fairy helps against Dark types but be careful of the double Fairies you get with Gardevoir still being in the party.

Another option is Milotic, a well-tested specially orientated beast without the Fairy subtyping although definitely packing the moves. 

If you are opting for a more adventurous alternative, Araquanid is a new addition to the game with great Fire defense, Bug coverage (helpful against Dark) and a practical Huge Power for Water moves. It matters little if you go physical or special. It gets the job done. 

Read the entire post and i suppose electrivire is a great option i ignored for too long. the sad thing is i googled if its available in episode 17 and it apparantly isn't after the bridge is fixed neither do i have acces to a electrizer at this point in the game. So i guess my only option would be to trade for an elekid which would still mean im missing the electrizer. Since as mentioned above i got a mudkip traded to evolve into a swampert wouldn't that be a viable replacement for vaporeon too? Il try to get primarine even if its just for the sake of gym preperation too. 

My main problem with getting good pokemon/moves is a combination of them not being getteable at where i am (EG i want metagross to learn earthquake but theres no earthquake TM. or with the electrivide example gengar also isnt available anymore since ghasly got moved)

14 hours ago, Macspie said:

Read the entire post and i suppose electrivire is a great option i ignored for too long. the sad thing is i googled if its available in episode 17 and it apparantly isn't after the bridge is fixed neither do i have acces to a electrizer at this point in the game. So i guess my only option would be to trade for an elekid which would still mean im missing the electrizer. Since as mentioned above i got a mudkip traded to evolve into a swampert wouldn't that be a viable replacement for vaporeon too? Il try to get primarine even if its just for the sake of gym preperation too. 

My main problem with getting good pokemon/moves is a combination of them not being getteable at where i am (EG i want metagross to learn earthquake but theres no earthquake TM. or with the electrivide example gengar also isnt available anymore since ghasly got moved)

I would not recommend Electivire at all,he is not that fast,he is unbelivably frail,if ONLY you can trick your opponent to hit you with an electric type move (If he has Motor Drive) he can be considered fast,but any pyhsical attack would demolish him (Disgusting 67 base Def and 75 HP) has a wide movepool tho, If you want a fast electric type go for Jolteon but i am not big fan of any mono-type mon~

Edited by Thundermaze

• Veterans
51 minutes ago, Thundermaze said:

I would not recommend Electivire at all,he is not that fast,he is unbelivably frail,if ONLY you can trick your opponent to hit you with an electric type move (If he has Motor Drive) he can be considered fast,but any pyhsical attack would demolish him (Disgusting 67 base Def and 75 HP) has a wide movepool tho, If you want a fast electric type go for Jolteon but i am not big fan of any mono-type mon~

The AI is pretty easy to bait if it has an Electric move. Stick a water or flying type in front of them, then directly switch to Electivire for the speed boost.

16 minutes ago, Azeria said:

The AI is pretty easy to bait if it has an Electric move. Stick a water or flying type in front of them, then directly switch to Electivire for the speed boost.

Yes sir you are right~

but if there is a condition to make a Pokemon stronger that is somewhat a commitment and i think Electivire does not worth it,he is too frail and too situational and does not fit any offensive team easily~

You have to support him veeery hard,you'd need a lot of defensive utilities and there are tons of better wallbreakers ~

Edited by Thundermaze