Official Super Smash Bros. Thread for Wii U and 3DS

Maelstrom

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Link is annoying to Lucas and Ness. None of his projectiles can be absorbed. I would imagine Ness being harder for link to fight. Link likes to set up a wall of projectiles you can't get passed, and Ness's Thunder is made of fuck you because it pulls you toward him. And when he does that, he does air combo bullshit.

Also, Shiek gives everyone trouble. That is the sole reason why she is considered the best character in the game. Keep in mind that her kill options are pretty weak and she will spend more time running away than she will be fighting you head on. Especially if you are luigi. Luigi has an absurd amount of priority in his attacks and almost feels like he is using swords. Her best option to fight you is to run away and throw needles at you. Once you figure it out she will have difficulty pressuring you. Also keep in mind that Mario and Luigi's nair is a get out of jail combos free card.

Okay, about Little Mac.

I really don't like Luigi's chances against Mac. However, your saving grace is that Mac players online are stupid (good luck against Mael, Godot or myself though : P) and you can often play the waiting game, keeping him at bay with fireballs and what have you, until he makes a mistake.

• Practice shield grabs. The idea is to wait for Mac to come to you and when he gets close he'll probably throw out a dash attack or side B. Shield easily stuffs both of these, and then you can grab him and do Luigi things to him.
  • Don't expect to get an opportunity to get a solid up B "shoryuken" unless the Mac player spams rolling dodges. In fact, I would not use any of Luigi's specials offensively outside of his Fireballs; using the Side B, Up B and Down B is very risky due to their end lag which allows Mac to just eat you alive.
  • Mac's recovery is laughable, and is easily gimped when he needs to recover horizontally. Thus at high percentages look for attacks which will send him flying horizontally rather than vertically.

Godot has way more experience with that matchup

The Link-Mac matchup is imo laughable, especially after the huge buff to his grab game - when you get enough practice with the matchup.

• Like with Luigi, shield grab is a viable strategy in Link vs Mac. Except you launch him way more easily than Luigi does, and you can gimp him with bombs and boomerangs and such when he's offstage, or you can be a man and Down-air him or something.
  • Don't get too reliant on projectiles and long range grabs, as Mac can (and will) find a way around him

Again, Godot is the best person to ask here.

I am starting to think mii brawler is my best option for a secondary but then again no custom tournaments or even tournaments in general doesn't come to ottawa. Gives me one heck of an aerial fighter with the side b and custom up-b. Really, I need to learn some other aerial combos for him. And Roy is good for me, one problem I have is neutral a spam. And I need improve on my d-throw combos.

Meanwhile, I am slowly getting better at link and luigi in their pros. But one question: if a link player has a nario playstyle w/o the grabs. does the projectiles will come more often? Because an aggressive link (I think) would use projectiles to trap an opponent to a point where all he can do is either shield or try to counterattack.

I have been playing her occasionally too, she is quite fun. I have had varying levels of success with her though. One character I have been consistently winning with is Sonic. I haven't really lost a single match against anyone ever since I picked him back up. Only match I lost in memory was a for glory match where I suicided both my stocks ><

There guy changed his name to "Redo?" And we did. I then rocked his face.

Aight, so I went ahead and picked myself up a Wii U and Sm4sh. How would y'all suggest I go about improving my smash mechanics? (Still on my Brawl shit)

A lot of it is still the same.

uptilt attacks and third jumps almost always trump meteor smashes/ down aerials, which wasn't the case in brawl, so being directly above an opponent is a very bad place to be in most situations.

oh yes, neutral a attacks/combos have a launching end, so they can't be infinite anymore. I know robin's NA combo has two forms, one is multiple wind slashes that continue on for a bit before launching the opponent (good for catching people as they roll toward you and stuff) and a 3 hit that ends with a fire blast that does more damage than the wind slashes and launches further. Small changes like that.

oh yes, neutral a attacks/combos have a launching end, so they can't be infinite anymore. I know robin's NA combo has two forms, one is multiple wind slashes that continue on for a bit before launching the opponent (good for catching people as they roll toward you and stuff) and a 3 hit that ends with a fire blast that does more damage than the wind slashes and launches further. Small changes like that.

Falcon has the same sort of deal. 1-2-3 button presses gives you a three hit, high power, high launch move, while 1-2-mash gives you the multi-hitting version.

One-two- three attacks are known as a gentleman. There is also less directional influence in this game.

From the top of my head, Little Mac, Falcon, and Robin have a Gentleman.

Also, didn't you tell me that you maimed Olimar? Oli is pretty damn different this time around.

Edit: ran through the roster and Pits, Greninja, and Duck Hunt God all have a gentleman

Yoshi is amazing and one of my personal best. Always remember that his double jump animation gives armor to a single attack.

Another local tournament, EXP 2015, went down recently. Here are the top 16 finishers' mains... (NOTE: Customs were banned.)

1. Zero Suit Samus

2. Luigi

3. Mario / ROB

4. Ganondorf

5. Sheik / Diddy Kong

5. Diddy Kong

7. Villager

7. Sheik

9. Peach

9. Diddy Kong

9. Mario

9. Sonic

13. Little Mac

13. Greninja

13. Ike

13. Donkey Kong

Mew2King was at this tournament and finished 5th. V115 won the tourney. Full list of players (corresponding to top list):

1. V115

2. Poke

3. Ally

4. Ray Kalm

5. Mew2King

5. Chrim Foish

7. Smasher 101

7. Astro

9. Hammond is a Fraud

9. PhillyCheeze

9. Blacktwins

9. MeekSpeedy

13. Frupcakes

13. Sain

13. Blitz

13. DKBill

didn't you tell me that you maimed Olimar?

did you at least send flowers to his bed in the hospital?

Olimar definitely feels better in this game but I don't play him much. As far as Greninja's 'gentleman', the 'mashed' A is just better all around.

Another local tournament, EXP 2015, went down recently. Here are the top 16 finishers' mains... (NOTE: Customs were banned.)

1. Zero Suit Samus

2. Luigi

3. Mario / ROB

4. Ganondorf

5. Sheik / Diddy Kong

5. Diddy Kong

7. Villager

7. Sheik

9. Peach

9. Diddy Kong

9. Mario

9. Sonic

13. Little Mac

13. Greninja

13. Ike

13. Donkey Kong

Mew2King was at this tournament and finished 5th. V115 won the tourney. Full list of players (corresponding to top list):

1. V115

2. Poke

3. Ally

4. Ray Kalm

5. Mew2King

5. Chrim Foish

7. Smasher 101

7. Astro

9. Hammond is a Fraud

9. PhillyCheeze

9. Blacktwins

9. MeekSpeedy

13. Frupcakes

13. Sain

13. Blitz

13. DKBill

Is this a tournament that you went to? If so, then I consider you a lucky man. Here in Wisconsin, there are only like 4 local tournaments a year. Plus I wanna meet M2K.

Is this a tournament that you went to? If so, then I consider you a lucky man. Here in Wisconsin, there are only like 4 local tournaments a year. Plus I wanna meet M2K.

I did not attend this one like I did GOML back in May, since I'm out on vacation right now. The Ganondorf Skype Group and the EGE stream had me covered, we were all on alert when the Ganon main (Ray Kalm) made Winners' Semis.