Official Super Smash Bros. Thread for Wii U and 3DS

Maelstrom

Wait... Brawl had super Mario rpg music? How did they get to the rights to that? Square Enix co-owns them. That is why we never got Geno.

Probably because Square decided to play nice for a bit. There were many reasons the track could have avoided being put in - Square came in and said nope (unlikely), they couldn't find a good place for it, or it didn't meet Sakurai's (or someone else's) liking.

i will point out though, that Geno made a small cameo in Mario and Luigi: SS, the DS AND Wii versions of Fortune Street use a theme from SMRPG, and Mario Hoops and Mario Sports Mix were both co-developed by Square Enix and featured some classic Final Fantasy characters like the Black Mage.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go and try, I told you I found a way to beat. B)

One of my first matches in For Glory was my DK against a sheik. She juggled the shit out of me. But once I had enough damage where she could hit me and I would launch far enough that she couldn't chain me into anything else right away, I began beating the snot out of her and totally landed a sweet fair spike ftw. It's too bad that you can't replay vids from before the last update, cuz I saved that shit.

Honestly, it feels like Ganon's sideB into downtilt only hits like 3 different characters anymore. D=

Shulk has really annoying ledge guard technique that only DK seems to get around with any ease.

MK combos and juggles about as much as sheik does.

Nevermind seeing a good Meta Knight, I don't recall seeing more than one Meta Knight overall in competitive. (Which is one more than the number of Wii Fit Trainers I've faced.)

Probably the perception that he was "overnerfed" might lead to him not seeing as much play. I dunno.

Nevermind seeing a good Meta Knight, I don't recall seeing more than one Meta Knight overall in competitive. (Which is one more than the number of Wii Fit Trainers I've faced.)

Probably the perception that he was "overnerfed" might lead to him not seeing as much play. I dunno.

I feel MK is kinda unsatisfactory myself, though. He has trouble retaining some of his old speed, his recovery has an awkward angle in some situations, and his range and launch are both subpar. His power's decent, but I feel he doesn't have enough going for him.

Hmm, I gotta look up a way to share this replay on yt or something so you guys can see what they're doing.

That being said, everybody plays with Zero Suit samus and she has that combo of stun, grab down throw, up air, up B. Really, really annoying.

So I was playing some games of Smash today, and to no one's surprise I was playing a lot of Captain Falcon. And because I have nothing better to do, I'll share my knowledge and tips about my favorite Special in the game.

Raptor Boost

Captain Falcon's side B is one of the more interesting abilities. A quick windup and Captain Falcon dashes forward, unleashing an uppercut if he touches an enemy during the dash. It deals about 9% damage and has a 130% KO minimum.

moSWDte.jpgNaizosR.jpg

Touch the opponent, and you'll swipe upward. Missing the opponent will cause you to flop to the ground, briefly leaving you vulnerable!

What's so good about it?

A quick, offensive dash to the opponent allows for a quick and fearless setup of a mid-air fight; these are where Captain Falcon thrive. Though it's a move that gives plenty of warning, it's very rewarding if it lands as you can set up all sorts of mid-air combos, or even lead it into an upward kick or a Knee Smash for a potent finishing combo!

The Raptor Boost has a really useful niche, however, and that is its ability to juggle airborne foes. Time your Raptor Boost well against a falling opponent, and they'll be exposed to the attack as they suffer landing lag, sending them right back into the air!

qwflr5p.jpg

Time your attack just before the opponent gets to the ground to prevent them from getting back on their feet!

Speaking of airborne, this move changes up quite a bit when Falcon uses it in the air.

Airborne Raptor Boost

The move is still a sideways dash, but there are some important things to remember about it!

• The dash itself is shorter (does not apply to Heavy or Wind-up).
  • The trajectory of the opponents hit changes (see below).
  • Touching an opponent will cause Captain Falcon to leap forward (even if it does no damage).
  • He will be left Helpless after the attack.

IoeceU1.png

Hitbox A will launch the opponent forward at a medium trajectory. Hit someone within hitbox B, and the attack becomes a Meteor Smash! However, if the opponent is grounded, both hitboxes will launch the opponent forward.

0Aq36Wq.jpg

If Captain Falcon touches the opponent, he'll leap forward even if the opponent Dodges the attack.

As the Raptor Boost when used in air has a shorter range than normal, so unlike a grounded one it should be used only as a defensive measure! It makes an ample short-range recovery tool when an opponent stands in your way; the threat of a Meteor Smash allows you to clear the way to reach the ledge. However, due to its short range, it should NEVER be used in the air if an opponent isn't near! Use the Falcon Dive (Up + B) instead.

C3uztjt.jpg

A deceptively short range in mid air can leave you with a case of coulda shoulda woulda as you fall to your death.

Perfect Pivoting with the Raptor Boost

Once you master Perfect Pivoting (which I sure as hell have not), you can pull off some pretty neat jukes and completely expose the enemy's opening with a Raptor Boost 2 da mouf. As Captain Falcon has the longest perfect-pivot range in the game, this allows you to dodge a wide variety of attacks (even Shulk's massive htboxes), and get in a quick retaliation. Thus Perfect Pivoting is a skill that can go hand in hand with the Raptor Boost, and is something I recommend practicing (with all characters).

Custom moves

Captain Falcon's custom Side B attacks are the Wind-up Raptor Boost and the Heavy Raptor Boost.

Heavy Raptor Boost:

The dash is slower, and so is the uppercut. However, not only does Falcon launch his target further, but during the move he gains super armor! This is useful in starting off your combos, powering through punishing smash attacks, and dancing with death!

UYMfxsn.jpg

There's a short pause between when he reaches his target and when he uppercuts them, but the uppercut is unstoppable thanks to super armor!

Wind-up Raptor Boost:

Falcon takes a big step back before dashing at a higher speed toward his target, and dealing the same damage and knockback to the target. While this move seems bad on paper, the step back is actually pretty useful to dodge a swipe, then quickly follow up while the opponent is vulnerable!

fRxzJZB.jpgWFlCYjP.jpg

Who needs perfect pivoting when you can juke like this?

Anyway, that's it for the Raptor Boost! If someone wants me to do one of these for another fighter, hit me up!

For falcon and ganon, they lean back while charging a side smash, making it possible to dodge an attack and retaliate when they release. A good time to try is when someone is trying to meteor smash you and they aren't entirely centered on your position.

I hope they patch this bullshit out... It's too good, and Diddy doesn't need to be better...

Also gives me another reason to hate ROB... Stupid toy.

For the record, this tech makes the following characters significantly better...

Diddy Kong

Link

Megaman

Peach

ROB

Toon Link

Robin, the Koopa Kids, and PacMan benifit from this, but not as much.

@Mael, Yoshi does something similar, when he charges his side smash he leans back making his upper body hitbox vanish for a second or two. I have dodged some smaller jabs and projectiles with it before.