Official Super Smash Bros. Thread for Wii U and 3DS

Maelstrom

I was playing some Sm4sh for 3DS tonight and I got matched against this guy who only played Shulk. I beat him with Wii Fit then switched to Captain Falcon. He beat my Cap (with Shulk- not an accomplishment) and my Zelda (again- not an accomplishment since all of Shulk's smashes are better versions of Zelda's). Then I switched to Samus, who's become my main over the past couple of months. I trashed him neatly 6 times in a row.

Mfw I 2-0'd him and only took 30%:

feels%20good%20smash_zpsu07o6ib6.png

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shulk does have some major issues against ranged characters, especially those with ranged grabs.

Toon Link and Samus top the list (outside the top characters) as the best matchups against Monado Boy.

When I play P:M I use Wolf, Shiek, Ivysaur, DK, and Bowser.

I should update my game version and learn P:M Lucario.

Project M Lucario is so cool to watch when somebody really knows how to play him. Unfortunately, he's really difficult to play from what little I tried of him. :(

i remember in melee sometimes i stun my opponent with mewtwo's down special and follow it up with a home run bat swing.

Mewtwo's dash attacks while holding swinging weapons were batshit insane in melee

I've gone to two Melee tournaments in my lifetime and got railed both times. Though the second time, I actually won some games, and almost took the set for my tournament match. It's been a few years since then though. I'll need to hit up another one sometime soon and join PM and Sm4sh too.

The one each of melee and P:M tourneys I went to, I went out without a single win.

Finished second in my last smash tourney (smash 4, of course). Hopefully I can repeat said performance when I go to my next one...whenever that is

I realize this is technically the thread for Sm4sh, but we've been talking about Melee and Project M here anyway, so I'm just gonna put this here. We should just repurpose this to a general Smash thread anyway.

Anyway, about 3 years ago I attended my first Melee tournament ever. I got paired up against the same guy for every one of my matches except one, and he beat me every time. Later that day, I found out he was considered the best player there.

And it was only today that I learned that he's ranked in the top 100 Melee players nationally.

...Huh.

And now for something completely random to kill some time.

What game is my favorite character's look based off of?

Check this list to see where your character's default outfit and palette swaps came from.

• Mario - Super Mario Bros. 3
    Palette swaps from NES Open Golf, Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. and Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  • Luigi - Super Mario Bros. 2
    Swaps from Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros., New Super Mario Bros. and a Japan-only animated SMB movie
  • Peach - Super Mario Bros. 3
    Swaps from Super Mario Land*, Super Mario RPG, NES Open Golf, Dr. Mario, and Super Mario 3D World
  • Bowser - Super Mario 64
    Swaps from Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart 64, Mario Golf, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and New Super Mario Bros.
  • Yoshi - Super Mario World
    Swaps from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG, and Yoshi's Story
  • Rosalina & Luma - Super Mario Galaxy
    Swaps from Super Mario 3D World
  • Bowser Jr. - New Super Mario Bros.
    Swaps from Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Wario - WarioWare, inc.: Mega Microgame$
    Swaps from Donkey Kong* and Super Mario Bros. 2: Six Golden Coins
  • Mr. Game & Watch - Fire
    Swaps from the Game Boy system and Crab Grab
  • Donkey Kong - Donkey Kong Country
    Swaps from Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong 64 and Mario vs. Donkey Kong
  • Diddy Kong - Donkey Kong Country
    Swaps from Donkey Kong Jr.*, Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3 and Donkey Kong 64
  • Link - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Swaps from Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Soul Calibur II and Skyward Sword
  • Zelda - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Swaps from The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker
  • Sheik - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Swaps from Skyward Sword* and Hyrule Warriors
  • Ganondorf - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Swaps from The Legend of Zelda*, Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker
  • Toon Link - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
    Swaps from The Legend of Zelda, Ocarina of Time, Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Four Swords
  • Samus - Metroid: Other M
    Swaps from Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
  • Zero Suit Samus - Metroid: Zero Mission
    Swaps from Metroid, Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion and Metroid: Other M
  • Pit - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Swaps from Kid Icarus and the Captain N: The Game Master comic
  • Palutena - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Swaps from Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters and Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • Marth - Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem ~Heroes of Light and Shadow~
    Swaps from Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light, Thracia 776* and The Binding Blade*
  • Ike - Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
    Swaps from Path of Radiance and Awakening*
  • Robin - Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Swaps from Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light*, Mystery of the Emblem*, Thracia 776* and Fire Emblem (GBA)
  • Roy - Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
    Swaps from Fire Emblem (GBA)
  • Kirby - Kirby's Adventure
    Swaps from Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby Super Star and Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
  • King Dedede - Kirby Super Star
    Swaps from Kirby's Dream Land, Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards and Kirby Air Ride
  • Meta Knight - Kirby Super Star
    Swaps from Kirby Air Ride, Kirby & The Amazing Mirror and Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Little Mac - Punch-Out!! (Wii)
    Swaps from Punch-Out!! (Arcade, NES and SNES)
  • Fox - Star Fox
    Swaps from Star Fox 64, Star Fox Assault, Star Fox Command and Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Falco - Star Fox Command
    Swaps from Star Fox 64, Star Fox Adventures and Star Fox Assault
  • Pikachu - Pokemon Red/Blue
    Swaps from Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire, Emerald and X/Y
  • Jigglypuff - Pokemon Red/Blue
    Swaps from Kirby Super Star*, Ruby/Sapphire, FireRed/LeafGreen and X/Y
  • Mewtwo - Pokemon Red/Blue
    Swaps from Mother*, Gold/Silver and XD: Gale of Darkness
  • Charizard - Pokemon Red/Blue
    Swaps from Gold/Silver
  • Lucario - Pokemon Diamond/Pearl
    Swaps from X/Y
  • Greninja - Pokemon X/Y
    Swaps make no references to other games (one swap is its shiny form)
  • Duck Hunt - Duck Hunt
    Swaps from Nintendogs*
  • R.O.B. - Robot Operating Buddy accessory
    Swaps from Stack-Up, Mario Kart DS and Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Ness - EarthBound
    Swaps from Super Smash Bros. and Mother 3*
  • Lucas - Mother 3
    Swaps from EarthBound*
  • Captain Falcon - F-Zero X
    Swaps from F-Zero GX and F-Zero GP Legend
  • Villager - Animal Crossing
    Swaps from Wild World and New Leaf
  • Olimar - Pikmin
    Swaps from Pikmin 3
  • Wii Fit Trainer - Wii Fit
    Swaps from Wii Fit Plus and Wii Fit U
  • Dr. Mario - Dr. Mario 64
    Swaps from Dr. Mario and Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Dark Pit - Kid Icarus: Uprising
    Swaps make no references to other games
  • Lucina - Fire Emblem: Awakening
    Swaps from Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light*
  • Shulk - Xenoblade Chronicles
    Swaps make no references to other games (although six of them reference the game's other playable characters)
  • Pac-Man - Pac-Man
    Swaps from Pac-Land and Pac-Man World
  • Mega Man - Mega Man
    Swaps from Mega Man 2 to 9
  • Sonic - Sonic Adventure
    Swaps from Sonic the Hedgehog 2, NiGHTS*, Sonic and Knuckles, Sonic Heroes and Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
  • Ryu - Street Fighter V
    Swaps from Street Fighter II and Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition

Patch 1.0.6 is out today. A brief rundown of what we are to be expecting, as it is a biiiiig patch:

• Mewtwo is in; he will be available for purchase starting November 28 ($3.99 for one version or $4.99 for both Wii U and 3DS). However, if you registered both versions with Club Nintendo, you can pick him up immediately via download code which you should be receiving in the email. It has not been announced whether Mewtwo's custom moves will be unlocked as soon as you obtain him.
  • An in-game shop featuring DLC content will be added to both versions. It is here where you can purchase stuff without having to log out of your game to go to the eShop. It is also where you will be using your code to download Mewtwo (assuming you got him for free)...I think. Here's a list of the forthcoming Mii Outfits that will be there at launch(?):
    Super Smash Bros. T-Shirt
    Link Outfit
    Majora's Mask
    X (Mega Man X) Outfit
    Proto Man Outfit
    Dunban Outfit
    Cat Suit
    Monkey Suit
  • "Sharing" will be added. With this option, you can share Custom Stages, Screenshots, Replays and Mii Fighters. The 3DS version already has this, so for that, these will be improvements.
  • Tournament mode...? The Wii U version is supposed to have online tournaments as a forthcoming option, but we dunno if this will be a thing or not this patch, and if it is, whether or not it will be available immediately.
  • This update also comes with balance changes.

That's it, I thiiiink. Almost everything for this patch was announced in the most recent Nintendo Direct, btw, if that matters.

Only thing confirmed about the balance changes is that Diddy's Hoo-Hahs are nerfed, sonic Back a Throw doesn't kill as easily, and Shiek's fair and bair hurt less. Shiek's fair also has more knock back making it not combo-able into itself as easily.

You can also smash attack by pressing A+B and disable it in controls.

Edit: Lucario's Extreme Speed has less landing lag and this...

Dunno, testing him out right now.

Edit:

Mewtwo's down B (disable). Doesn't connect unless your opponent is looking at you. I did it to Mario and be completely ignored the attack from behind... Then I flipped him around and bam works, hit Mario a character's length away and stunned him for about a second.

He can't really do much out of throw unless your opponent DI predictably.

Up tilt is kinda awesome, if you hit people with the ball part of the tail, they get launched based on where they got hit from, get hit from the inner part of the tail, you get placed right above Mewtwo's head and he can Up Smash KO you.

Edit2: side b is pretty awful, (looks around for Mael before he does his told you so dance)

Neutral B still throws Mewtwo's backward when he is airborne, can be used to recover if used right.

He can combo A to Down A, or jab 1 into down tilt, it is pretty fucking amazing. It works at any percent....

No wait... He can combo jab 1 into another jab 1 or uptilt. I just combo'd Mario at 100% by going Jab, up tilt, Up Smash and Mario died.

Also did jab, jab, up tilt, jab, up tilt, up smash at 0% and it worked, jab, down tilt, and rand aerial works at any percent.

Down air has a huge hit box where it can spike.

Forward air hits like a truck.

Fair, down smash, and up smash seem to be Mewtwo's go to kill moves.

Edit 3

Last one before I leave, Mewtwo's can jab lock people by going Jab->up tilt-> repeat.

Also heard that Lucina and Marth's neutral B has longer range.

Edit 4:

Confirmation- Lucina, Kirby, and Charizard deals more damage with certain attacks. Flare Blitz has higher recoil.

Pac-Man has a faster Grab.

Diddy has a weaker up air and forward smash, Shiek's fair and bair are nerfed.

Sonic and Ness's back throw has less kill power. Ness's up throw was apparently tweaked.

Rumor: Sound Files for victory themes have supposedly been found for Lucas, Roy (Fire Emblem), and Ryu (Street Fighter)

Nothing confirms that the rumor is true though.

Edit 5:

Some of Ganon's attacks do more damage.

ROB has less kill power on his up air.

Kirby has less start up and ending lag on his inhale (Neutral B )

Edit 6:

Samus's missles are faster, her side tilt also has new hitboxes and sweet spots with new properties. Sweet :)

DK's punch charges faster.

Luma has less health.

Robin's tomes don't disappear right away if they land on a platform. Making them easier to use.

Lylat Cruise has harder to grab Ledges.

Link's spin slash is harder hitting, and luigi's fireballs are weaker.