Official Super Smash Bros. Thread for Wii U and 3DS

Maelstrom

Pikachu can D-throw to U-tilt at low percents on heavier characters. U-tilt then leads into a string of air attacks, usually an U-air or two followed by B-air, though it depends how they DI. U-tilt is actually just very good in general, comboing into itself at low percents. U-throw to Down B works around 90% on most characters, but only if they don't DI. (Though if you react quickly enough, you can follow their DI and still get it.)

As for Roy, I like D-Throw to Up-B, which works at low percents for a while. I believe neutral air can combo into jab if you land it right, though I'm not sure if it's a true combo.

Hey thanks, i kinda knew about it, but not after up tilt.

Also thanks for roy.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Roy is a rushdown/bait-and-punish character that plays a lot like a ground-favoring Captain Falcon. His great overall speed gives him great combo potential, allows him to get the inner sweetspots on his opponents, and gifts him a severely underrated offstage game. However, the nature of his attacks make him a high-risk character whose defensive game is subpar, and his recovery is...alright, but not fantastic, as horizontal recoveries are gimped easily when it comes to this character.

I guess the main thing I have to say about Roy is that you can't be afraid. Don't try to space, don't play defensive - just go at them. Those sweet spotted attacks can kill surprisingly early. It's also important to mix up your movements so that you can bait the opponent into missing a Dash Attack or something and then promptly destroying them with an F-Tilt combo or F-Smash.

Also, I don't like D-throw into Up-B as cool as it seems. You get good damage, but lighter opponents can DI out of it easily and Roy gets a pseudo-chaingrab against some of the others. 23 damage might be nice, but you're usually selling yourself short on Roy's great combo potential - your best bet is going for an aerial depending on the direction your throw sends them, then try to string a few more hits off that.

So I actually participated in (and casted) my first ever real Smash 4 tournament! As you can guess, I didn't get too far, but as before with locals, despite this being a weekly and thus comparatively small (even though some of the best in the country were present), here are the characters used by the top 12 finishers:

1. Sheik

2. Donkey Kong / Luigi

3. Fox / Mario

4. Zero Suit Samus / Captain Falcon

5. Peach

5. Diddy Kong

7. Captain Falcon

7. Pikachu

9. Sonic

9. King Dedede

9. Donkey Kong

9. Bowser

1. Yoh

2. Poke

3. Toronto Joe

4. V115

5. Hammond is a Fraud

5. Chrim Foish

7. Baethoven

7. Hell Dew

9. Raijin

9. Seena

9. Afrodesiac

9. Prof. Shiro

VODs of my bad casting will pop up eventually, and I may post them, or I may not.

17th out of 32, so lower half, but did well given my tournament inexperience and the level of play there (which was pretty high). I used Ganondorf with Lucina for a backup.

Lost to Poke 2-0 in Rd. 1

Won vs. PasteCat 2-1 in Losers Rd. 1

Lost to Raijin 2-0 in Losers Rd. 2

Competition is pretty tough where I live too. One of the guys here went to Evo and participated in Melee tournament and got 51st place. He also was the sonvabitch who knocked Amsa into losers.

The top smash 4 players here though, we have four who normally win everytime. One who mains Rosalina with a back up Peach, one who mains Shiek with a back up Marth, one who mains Pac-Man with a back up Falcon, and the last one mains Mario with a back up uh... Forgot his back up character.

They had a tournament recently and only one of these guys showed up. I unfortunately had to work. The guy who got second Was a Mega Man main I have beaten before. I would probably use Little Mac with counter pick Characters being Sonic, Yoshi, Ryu, Robin, Fox, and Yoshi. Maybe Ike and Mega Man.

I am getting better with luigi now more combos and habit to press x after a d-throw. (Shield grab skill needed) Anyways, went up against a yoshi who forgot how to up-b and I punished his grabs's follow-ups with nair. Nair is one heck of a backfire move. I know he was trying for the d=throw and uair combo. And I forgot to save the damn replay so Godot can see his errors. I was playing more defensively than my usual rush down.

It's always good to with what you know, but don't be afraid to experiment (tilt stick, Y-button grab, A+B smash attacks, etc). The more comfortable you are with your own personal setup, the better off you'll be, and it's great to have so many control customizations in smash 4. It's also acceptable to have multiple control schemes for the different characters that you play.

I personally use a Hori pad (classic controller with GameCube layout) with Tap Jump off, C-stick set to Attack (aka Tilt Stick), and L Button to grab.

Discuss.

no i still won't get ryu

i would think he falls around 4-8th on most tier lists, his mobility with canceled focus makes his recovery suck less

it takes a really technical player to master ryu and take full advantage of his true specials, it's not surprising someone like Mr. R is starting to show results on him, and i've come across some ryu's on FG that absolutely destroy me with some of the fancy combos you're able to do with him

It's always good to with what you know, but don't be afraid to experiment (tilt stick, Y-button grab, A+B smash attacks, etc). The more comfortable you are with your own personal setup, the better off you'll be, and it's great to have so many control customizations in smash 4. It's also acceptable to have multiple control schemes for the different characters that you play.

I personally use a Hori pad (classic controller with GameCube layout) with Tap Jump off, C-stick set to Attack (aka Tilt Stick), and L Button to grab.

I like the idea of "tilt stick." I'll have to give that a try sometime, especially since C-stick still charges smashes in this game, making it pretty useless on the default setting imo.