Venonat Viability?

Dragooness

So I was capturing, looking for a decent modest/timid as I was told by a friend its a GREAT pokemon late game with quiver dance. I came across a shiny, IS it usable as is? Or do I need to keep looking? Other words HOW important is the IV/nature here?

Rash

Run Away

IVs are..

HP 8

Attack 21

Defense 9

Sp attack 4

Sp Def 24

Speed 31 

A rule of thumb: 20's in the stats you use is a good. In this case, everything but attack. In addition, pick a nature that's at least neutral with your main stat. timid is probably best. Don't worry too much about it being the best.

As for Venomoth, it is interesting, but without access to one of its STAB moves, sludge bomb, you could do better for bugs.

Edited by Faeborn

Even without Sludge Bomb, I'd say this Moth you got should be pretty good. rash IIRC boosts special attack for special defense so nature wise it's not too bad, amazing IV's in speed. Ability wise... You could have gotten better, but in general, Venomoth has a good set, granted Wonder Skin is probably the worst. But that's what Ability capsules are for. if you have a couple of capsules to spare Tinned Lens will make sure that Not Very Effective moves used by it get stronger, making Coverage easier

Thank you guys, I was VERY shocked, it was caught back to back with a shiny HootHoot too! So Having exact stats is not going to be as important here? I am now to the game, this seems like a mid level difficulty.There just is not many good team choices early game. I mean, I know Ill replace timid Noibat. I have an adamant charmander and a modest budew ill probably keep.

I'd suggest that you check what hidden power type it has first, and as someone who has beaten the flying type gym leader in Desolation with the help of a HP Rock Venomoth I can certainly say that it is a very good early to mid game choice...if you are doing a bug mono.

Venonat itself is virtually worthless very early game challenges. Around Corey, once you evolve it, it carried me through most of the way through my second playthrough. Great against the dark and psychic leaders. Even with the lacking sp atk evs, you can still turn it into a great sweeper. With some luck, you can get up 2 qd’s while their asleep with sleep powder and sweep just about anything.