Advice for Dragonite

Elvenlore

I recently added a Dragonite to my in-game team and I need advice with the moveset.

Dragonite

Lv 68 w/ Multiscale, holding Draco Plate

EVs 252 att, 6 def, 252 spd.

Dragon Tail

Dragon Dance

Extreme Speed

Thunder Wave

Reasoning behind current moveset:

• Dragon Tail is a STAB force-switcher. It prevents any setting up on the opponent's side.
  • Dragon Dance boosts power behind moves (even if the priority for both attacking moves is negative [DT] or positive [ES].)
  • Extreme Speed finishes off low-HP Pokemon and/or breaks Sturdy.
  • Thunder Wave is the only reliable form of status-infliction I have. The other moves are Sleep Powder (Venusaur) and Hypnosis (Gardevoir).

I had the opportunity to learn Outrage but I don't like the lock-in mechanic of it. I recently did an overhaul of half my team. Up until I hatched and trained Dragonite, Arcanine was the only Pokemon besides Gardevoir that could hit Dragon-types for super effective damage.

The rest of my team is:

Arcanine

Lv 69 w/ Intimidate, holding Charcoal

Not EV trained

Flare Blitz

Heat Wave

Outrage

Close Combat

Lapras

Lv 69 w/ Shell Armor, holding Mystic Water

252 sp att, 120 hp, 138 sp def.

Water Pulse

Freeze Dry

Ancient Power

Dragon Pulse

Zoroark

Lv 68 w/ Illusion, holding Metronome

Not EV trained

Night Daze

Nasty Plot

Foul Play

Extrasensory

Gardevoir

Lv 69 w/ Trace, holding Wide Lens

Not EV trained

Psychic

Moonblast

Calm Mind

Hypnosis

Venusaur

Lv 69 w/ Overgrow, holding Black Sludge

Not EV trained

Grass Pledge

Sleep Powder

Leech Seed

Double Edge*

*Double Edge is a temporary move. I don't have anything better to teach it and have no Heart Scales remaining.

Any advice (on any team members) is greatly appreciated.

If u use dragon dance u can't use dragon tail. Best set imo its: dragon dance extreme speed/firepunch outrage/fly iron head. item: Flyinium Z or Dragonium Z (it depends if u choose outrage or fly). Nature jolly, evs 6 hp 252 atk 252 speed. Ability: multiscale

Ps: if i don't remeber bad flyinium it's not available yet (well same as dragonite lol), so atm run dragonium Z. If u don't like outrage run dragon claws

Edited by Ghost141

A setup anti-setup Pokémon is an interesting concept, but you're risking getting OHKOed after prior damage considering your STAB is a negative priority move, I think a regular DD+3 attacks set works better for Dragonite in Reborn (DD, Outrage until we get the TM for DClaw, ESpeed, Fire/Thunder Punch).

I'd consider ESpeed on Arcanine instead of one of the STABs (depending on stat distribution or whether you prefer doubles utility with a minor loss in accuracy, or raw power), or Outrage (you have decent coverage against dragons at this point).

Surf/Hydro Pump instead of Water Pulse, maybe? Ancient Power is gimmicky, but can work with a bit of luck, Confuse Ray/Perish Song could force switches and/or allow one of your other mons to set up. Why DPulse instead of Ice Beam? I think it only hits 4 Pokémon harder than the Surf+Freeze Dry+Ice Beam coverage: Zard X, Kyurem, Reshiram, and Turtonator.

I'm not a big fan of Foul Play in-game, Flamethrower should be available soon-ish (?)

Ok. I see that you have a ton of special attacking power on your team so maybe you might want to take some out. Zorua and Lapras, would be prime candidates for that. I'd replace those guys with two things that might have better sinergy with Venusaur's Sleep Powder and your Dragonite's role as a Phazer/Revenge Killer:

Milotic, for toxic/recover stall as well as a better overall usage of it's bulk when compared to lapras, hydro pump/protect complete the set, hydro pump, compounds toxic damage together with protect, which can be a great help for Dragonite and the remaining attacking cores of your team. You can use Scald over Hydro Pump as well, which is weaker than Hydro Pump, but more accurate and those burns can do some good to your team; 

The replacement for Zorua would be Lycanroc, as a fast, reliable stealth rocker that still packs some decent power, and goes well with Venusaur's Sleep Powder:   

Lycanroc leads with Stealth Rocks, Venusaur spreads sleep, Dragonite phazes and possibly kills depending on your dragon dances.

An honorable mention for your team would be Skarmory which is a better, more reliable phazer than Dragonite, and can also set up Spikes, which would  let your orange Barney make better use of it's power as a dedicated physical sweeper, which is where it really shines IMO, in which case dd+3 attacks is what you'll be looking for or maybe dd+2attacks ( Fly and Outrage)+roost for more staying power and more chances for setting up Dragon Dance. 

31 minutes ago, Ghost141 said:

If u use dragon dance u can't use dragon tail. Best set imo its: dragon dance extreme speed/firepunch outrage/fly iron head. item: Flyinium Z or Dragonium Z (it depends if u choose outrage or fly). Nature jolly, evs 6 hp 252 atk 252 speed. Ability: multiscale

Ps: if i don't remeber bad flyinium it's not available yet (well same as dragonite lol), so atm run dragonium Z. If u don't like outrage run dragon claws

At the stage I'm at I don't have access to Z-moves or Mega Evolution. I don't think I'd go for Fly on Dragonite; I would prefer Dragon Claw. Thank you for your suggestion!

24 minutes ago, CMV said:

A setup anti-setup Pokémon is an interesting concept, but you're risking getting OHKOed after prior damage considering your STAB is a negative priority move, I think a regular DD+3 attacks set works better for Dragonite in Reborn (DD, Outrage until we get the TM for DClaw, ESpeed, Fire/Thunder Punch).

I'd consider ESpeed on Arcanine instead of one of the STABs (depending on stat distribution or whether you prefer doubles utility with a minor loss in accuracy, or raw power), or Outrage (you have decent coverage against dragons at this point).

Surf/Hydro Pump instead of Water Pulse, maybe? Ancient Power is gimmicky, but can work with a bit of luck, Confuse Ray/Perish Song could force switches and/or allow one of your other mons to set up. Why DPulse instead of Ice Beam? I think it only hits 4 Pokémon harder than the Surf+Freeze Dry+Ice Beam coverage: Zard X, Kyurem, Reshiram, and Turtonator.

I'm not a big fan of Foul Play in-game, Flamethrower should be available soon-ish (?)

It worked at first, then I realised earlier today that Dragon Dance is only half effective with Extremespeed and Dragon Tail because of the priority. Fire Punch I think would be better to deal with any pesky ice types that try to come in on him. My Dragonite is actually pretty bulky; there isn't much that will do damage, so he can usually take a few hits before he starts to feel them.

With Arcanine, I have Flare Blitz for sheer power. Heat Wave is more there for double battles and field alteration. She isn't EV trained but most of her EVs have fallen in attack, special attack, and speed. But her attack is higher than her special. I think my last Arcanine had more or less the same spread but had Extremespeed over one of them -- I believe I got rid of Heat Wave due to the accuracy. She's gone down more times than I can count due to Heat Wave missing.

I should add, Arcanine, Zoroark, Venusaur and Gardevoir are the oldest team members. Lapras and Dragonite are both recent additions. Lapras came before Dragonite did; Dragonite got added not even three days ago.

Hydro Pump I had the chance to learn but avoided because of the accuracy. Water Pulse has that chance to confuse -- it may not be as strong as Hydro Pump but it's more accurate. I don't have Surf yet, unfortunately. I didn't learn Ice Beam because Lapras was bred with Freeze Dry, which hits water-type Pokemon for SE damage. I figured I wouldn't need two ice type moves.

I am actually waiting on flamethrower. Foul Play was there just in case someone tried setting up. I have been reconsidering Zoroark's use on the team though.

31 minutes ago, Gh0stStark said:

Ok. I see that you have a ton of special attacking power on your team so maybe you might want to take some out. Zorua and Lapras, would be prime candidates for that. I'd replace those guys with two things that might have better sinergy with Venusaur's Sleep Powder and your Dragonite's role as a Phazer/Revenge Killer:

Milotic, for toxic/recover stall as well as a better overall usage of it's bulk when compared to lapras, hydro pump/protect complete the set, hydro pump, compounds toxic damage together with protect, which can be a great help for Dragonite;

The replacement for Zorua would be Lycanroc, as a fast, reliable stealth rocker that still packs some decent power, and goes well with Venusaur's Sleep Powder:   

Lycanroc leads with Stealth Rocks, Venusaur spreads sleep, Dragonite phazes and possibly kills depending on your dragon dances.

An honorable mention for your team would be Skarmory which is a better, more reliable phazer than Dragonite, and would also let your orange Barney make better use of it's power as dedicated physical sweeper.

Orange Barney is actually a blue Barney Interesting suggestions. I had actually considered replacing Zoroark as a member of the main team due to her brittle defenses. She can dish out hits but has such poor coverage and relies heavily on either Venusaur or Gardevoir (or timely switches) in order to get a single Nasty Plot up. Extrasensory is there for fighting types but only as an emergency slot; she's way too frail to handle any fighting types unless she's quite literally forced onto the field. Milotic would also take off one of the rock weaknesses -- with Lapras, Dragonite, and Arcanine, there are three. And of course Lycanroc would work well with Arcanine for a double doggo lead.

I wonder if I should teach Gardevoir Dream Eater, in order to make more use of the sleep spreading...

Can I ask what you mean when you say Milotic makes better use of its bulk?

59 minutes ago, Elvenlore said:

Hide contents

At the stage I'm at I don't have access to Z-moves or Mega Evolution. I don't think I'd go for Fly on Dragonite; I would prefer Dragon Claw. Thank you for your suggestion!

Hide contents

It worked at first, then I realised earlier today that Dragon Dance is only half effective with Extremespeed and Dragon Tail because of the priority. Fire Punch I think would be better to deal with any pesky ice types that try to come in on him. My Dragonite is actually pretty bulky; there isn't much that will do damage, so he can usually take a few hits before he starts to feel them.

With Arcanine, I have Flare Blitz for sheer power. Heat Wave is more there for double battles and field alteration. She isn't EV trained but most of her EVs have fallen in attack, special attack, and speed. But her attack is higher than her special. I think my last Arcanine had more or less the same spread but had Extremespeed over one of them -- I believe I got rid of Heat Wave due to the accuracy. She's gone down more times than I can count due to Heat Wave missing.

I should add, Arcanine, Zoroark, Venusaur and Gardevoir are the oldest team members. Lapras and Dragonite are both recent additions. Lapras came before Dragonite did; Dragonite got added not even three days ago.

Hydro Pump I had the chance to learn but avoided because of the accuracy. Water Pulse has that chance to confuse -- it may not be as strong as Hydro Pump but it's more accurate. I don't have Surf yet, unfortunately. I didn't learn Ice Beam because Lapras was bred with Freeze Dry, which hits water-type Pokemon for SE damage. I figured I wouldn't need two ice type moves.

I am actually waiting on flamethrower. Foul Play was there just in case someone tried setting up. I have been reconsidering Zoroark's use on the team though.

Orange Barney is actually a blue Barney Interesting suggestions. I had actually considered replacing Zoroark as a member of the main team due to her brittle defenses. She can dish out hits but has such poor coverage and relies heavily on either Venusaur or Gardevoir (or timely switches) in order to get a single Nasty Plot up. Extrasensory is there for fighting types but only as an emergency slot; she's way too frail to handle any fighting types unless she's quite literally forced onto the field. Milotic would also take off one of the rock weaknesses -- with Lapras, Dragonite, and Arcanine, there are three. And of course Lycanroc would work well with Arcanine for a double doggo lead.

I wonder if I should teach Gardevoir Dream Eater, in order to make more use of the sleep spreading...

Can I ask what you mean when you say Milotic makes better use of its bulk?

Unlike your Lapras set, which is a bulky special attacker, Milotic is a dedicated wall/tank with access to Recover, and as you pointed out, has better defensive typing (pure water beats water/ice IMO). If you manage to find a flame orb, Marvel Scale can turn Milotic into a splendid wall IMO. Keep in mind, however, that you will only get an optimal Milotic set somewhat later in the game, depending on where you are.

Dream Eater is very unreliable, due to the duration of the sleep condition, which could result in Gardevoir switching out a lot, and will add more pressure on Venusaur, but it could work in game to an extent, if you pull your predictions off. You'd still be better off with Psychic or maybe Psyshock, although I don't recall if the TM for the latter is available yet.