Infernape Moveset

AweKartik777

Hey guys, I recently got a 31/31/31/29/31/31 IV spread Jolly Chimchar from Wonder Trade so decided to replace my previous fire type with him. I have used this guy a bit already as my primary wall-breaker with Choice Band after EV training, but I need a clarification whether to use Iron Fist + Fire Punch (for a 90 BP fire move with no drawbacks) as his Fire move, or Blaze + Flare Blitz (for the recoil blaze activation combo). Iron Fist also has the advantage of boosting Mach Punch's power which is taking another definite move-slot on him as I don't have much priority in my other mons. My other 2 moves are Close Combat, and the last is variable depending on which tough battle I have to fight in the future (used Gunk Shot for Adrienn, didn't need any for Titania, Thunder Punch + Iron Fist for Amaria etc).   

Is the lower power Iron Fist boosted Fire Punch with Choice Band enough to smash through things for the most part, or is Flare Blitz a must ? If you recommend Flare Blitz still then should I go for Blaze with Blitz recoil synergy, or should I stick with Iron Fist for Mach Punch and Thunder Punch synergy ?

3 minutes ago, AweKartik777 said:

Hey guys, I recently got a 31/31/31/29/31/31 IV spread Jolly Chimchar from Wonder Trade so decided to replace my previous fire type with him. I have used this guy a bit already as my primary wall-breaker with Choice Band after EV training, but I need a clarification whether to use Iron Fist + Fire Punch (for a 90 BP fire move with no drawbacks) as his Fire move, or Blaze + Flare Blitz (for the recoil blaze activation combo). Iron Fist also has the advantage of boosting Mach Punch's power which is taking another definite move-slot on him as I don't have much priority in my other mons. My other 2 moves are Close Combat, and the last is variable depending on which tough battle I have to fight in the future (used Gunk Shot for Adrienn, didn't need any for Titania, Thunder Punch + Iron Fist for Amaria etc).   

Is the lower power Iron Fist boosted Fire Punch with Choice Band enough to smash through things for the most part, or is Flare Blitz a must ? If you recommend Flare Blitz still then should I go for Blaze with Blitz recoil synergy, or should I stick with Iron Fist for Mach Punch and Thunder Punch synergy ?

I'd say Iron Fist is much better than Blaze, especially because as long as you have a move that goes with it you can always use it whereas Blaze only works when your health is low and at that point you are at so much risk, a Choice Banded or Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape at least can stand a better chance than hoping for Blaze to be useable.

Just now, Lord Drakyle said:

I'd say Iron Fist is much better than Blaze, especially because as long as you have a move that goes with it you can always use it whereas Blaze only works when your health is low and at that point you are at so much risk, a Choice Banded or Life Orb Iron Fist Infernape at least can stand a better chance than hoping for Blaze to be useable.

And what about Flare Blitz (120 BP with recoil) vs Iron Fist Fire Punch (90 BP no recoil) ?

1 minute ago, AweKartik777 said:

And what about Flare Blitz (120 BP with recoil) vs Iron Fist Fire Punch (90 BP no recoil) ?

Flare Blitz with Reccoil sure it has a higher chance of fainting the opponent but i wouldn't combine it with Blaze as it will usually mean fainting Infernape too which kinda wastes it whereas with the item boost at least Iron Fist Fire Punch has more damage available to it and might also do what Flare Blitz could have done while also letting ya last longer.

For the last move, consider Thunder Punch. It covers two (Flying and Water) out of his four weaknesses (Psychic, Ground, Flying and Water). Also, it would get boosted by Iron Fist.

And even though Mach Punch and Close Combat are good, I would recommend only having Close Combat, because it can completely destroy your foes, and lowers your Defense and Special Defense, which aren't your main concern to begin with.

Life Orb is a better choice because of Infernape versability (adaptability), he can learn U-turn that he's very handy for a lead pokemon. For other moves, mach punch, flamthrower/Heat Wave and Close Combat are very cool for this pokemon, but if you wanna some pure physical power, replace flamethrower by Flare Blitz, but is staying power will decrease a lot. Flamethrower is for defense stall, mach punch for priority, Close Combat for special stall + brute power and U-turn is for the momentum (If you see a water or ground pokemon after using Close Combat 2 times, use U-turn and switch for a pokémon that can take out the water or ground type.) The appropriate talent for this set would be blaze, cuz the life orb will take some hp of your pokemon each turn, so blaze can be activate, iron fist will just work on mach punch, but a destructive flamethrower is more handy. I advice you to get a pokemon with Grassy Terrain and to find a move tutor so your Infernape can learn Heat Wave, it will turn the Grassy Terrain on a Burning Field, so Blaze will always be activate and Heat Wave will do destructive damage! The Grassy Terrain user should in preference have Sunny day (like Comfey, this pokemon can learn Grassy Terrain, Sunny Day, U-turn and Nature Power that can transform into Energy Ball in the Grassy Terrain and into Flametrower into the Burning Field + becoming handy in the leaders Field.) So ya...Good Luck and have a great experience with the game!!! 

I run Adamant, 252 atk/252 spd/6 hp. Iron fist. Mach punch, close combat, fire punch, and thunder punch. You can run either life orb (if you have one) or a fist plate. Or keep the choice band. Either works. I don't like the recoil on flare blitz; the thing has a serious problem taking hits as it is. STAB, iron fist boosted fire punch has well over 100 base damage. You can get away with most OK's with it.  You're going to almost always trade KO's when using flare blitz