EV vs IV?

Askey307

Good Morning Guys

So, I'm trying to understand every aspect of the game. What is the difference between IV and EV? How do you use them? Tips? Hints? Guides on how to effectively farm it? What should I focus on most for IV? How does IV effect EV? Also how do you read the EV&IV page under a pokemon's summary?

Kind Regards

• Global Mods

IV is a value from 0 to 31 for each stat, that does not change. think of it like a pokemons genetics. at lv100, the IV value is the extra points in that stat the pokemon will have from it (with scaled down effects at lower levels) 

EV's are gained from batting other pokemon, so think of them has stat training values. A pokemon can have up to 252 in one stat, and 510 total. every 4 EV's in a stat will increase the stat by 1 point at lv100 (scaled down effects at lower levels) 

In Reborns summary screen, Page 1 of the stats is the stat itself, and the second page has the EV/IV of each stat. so on a new pokemon, all of the lefthand values should be 0 as they haven't been trained yet. 

You can look up the EV yield of a specific pokemon on any of the pokemon wikis (the EVs they give when knocked out) and train a specific stat by only knocking out pokemon that give EV's of that stat. Power items also give extra EVs of their respective stat when held upon knocking out any pokemon.

IV 

Max possible is 31. At level 100, 1 IV= 1 stat point. Every stat can have 31 IVs.

IVs are randomly generated. You have to get lucky to have 31 ivs in a stat. You constantly breed Pokémon to get 31 ivs in all stats.

EV

Max possible is 252 for one stat. Among all stats total max possible is 510. At level 100, 4 EVs= 1 stat point.

You have to kill specific Pokémon to get EVs in a stat. Or you use a power item for a stat(power anklet makes you gain speed EVs only etc).

Nature

Raises one stat and drops another stat. Some may not affect your stats at all.

A Pokémon that has 31 IVs in every stat, has a good distribution of 510 EVs among all stats and has the nature that boosts the correct stat is considered a good Pokémon for competitive battling.

58 minutes ago, Zander said:

IV 

Max possible is 31. At level 100, 1 IV= 1 stat point. Every stat can have 31 IVs.

IVs are randomly generated. You have to get lucky to have 31 ivs in a stat. You constantly breed Pokémon to get 31 ivs in all stats.

EV

Max possible is 252 for one stat. Among all stats total max possible is 510. At level 100, 4 EVs= 1 stat point.

You have to kill specific Pokémon to get EVs in a stat. Or you use a power item for a stat(power anklet makes you gain speed EVs only etc).

Nature

Raises one stat and drops another stat. Some may not affect your stats at all.

A Pokémon that has 31 IVs in every stat, has a good distribution of 510 EVs among all stats and has the nature that boosts the correct stat is considered a good Pokémon for competitive battling.

i think you are misexplaining some tiny details such as a stat at max can have 255 EVs but those last 3 would be wasted as you require 4 EVs for 1 base stat point, also Power Items dont make it so you only gain a specific EV, they give you additional points for the respective EV they represent ON TOP OF the EV yield from what you fainted.

1 hour ago, Askey307 said:

Good Morning Guys

So, I'm trying to understand every aspect of the game. What is the difference between IV and EV? How do you use them? Tips? Hints? Guides on how to effectively farm it? What should I focus on most for IV? How does IV effect EV? Also how do you read the EV&IV page under a pokemon's summary?

Kind Regards

ideally with IVs unless you are good at IV breeding for the perfect pokemon your best option is a destiny knot on a male pokemon with 31 IV points in both stats you most want for your female pokemon's egg such as wanting it to have the highest iv in atk and speed, the destiny knot will at least improve your odds of getting those two 31 IVs onto the egg pokemon though i may be mistaken about how it fully works, they are great and all but most of ya stats come from ya EVs and your nature.

10 minutes ago, Lord Drakyle said:

i think you are misexplaining some tiny details such as a stat at max can have 255 EVs but those last 3 would be wasted as you require 4 EVs for 1 base stat point, also Power Items dont make it so you only gain a specific EV, they give you additional points for the respective EV they represent ON TOP OF the EV yield from what you fainted.

255 EVs is a mechanic in the regular games as well? I play on showdown so didn't know this was there in gamefreak games. Just thought it was a programming mechanic or something lol.

And yeah I guess I didn't mention it but power items let you gain EVs of the specific stat along with any other EVs you would normally gain from killing a Pokémon.

7 hours ago, Zander said:

255 EVs is a mechanic in the regular games as well? I play on showdown so didn't know this was there in gamefreak games. Just thought it was a programming mechanic or something lol.

And yeah I guess I didn't mention it but power items let you gain EVs of the specific stat along with any other EVs you would normally gain from killing a Pokémon.

In regular games you could ev train a pokemon up to 255 until gen 6. Since pokemon XY it is not possible to give a pokemon more than 252 evs, like in pokemon showdown, and this was meant to make ev training a bit easier