Tinkering with in-game sprites for personal use.

RazeArmada

So for some reason I've managed to make my overworld sprites transparent, but I can't get my vs screen to become transparent, even though I've used the same method. Can someone please tell me how to do it, or better yet - make it transparent for me? /prettyplease.

Yaaa, I totally stole Charlotte's arm.

post-40415-0-24317600-1375425044_thumb.png

Best I could do. :0 I had to make some of white bits a teensy bit darker so the select tool wouldn't pick it up ._. Hope it didn't make too much of a difference

Edited by Khayoz

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

Should be relatively easy if you use the G/S sprites as a base then tweak them into GenIII style.

The problem there is that I'm absolutely terrible at anything but recoloring, and there's still the lack of running/fishing/surfing/biking/eventually diving?/fishing WHILE surfing animations and sprites for anyone but the main character; if I only had to worry about the walking sprites I probably could have taken care of it easily ):

And as an aside, @ hyzenthlay- I really like what you've done with that so far c:

Is the hair supposed to be reminding me of Togekiss?

I'm studying the sprites in order to continue work on my own sprite set, and I found that the walking and fishing sprites turned out to be the same sprite with a stick attached to them. As for the running sprites, that was done by moving the head one pixel down and one forward, and moving the rest of the body one pixel backward.

On the subject of sprite sets, I've still got my work cut out for me...

06b67404b7edeffb38810b3fb87f261c.png

Edited by RisingManes

The problem there is that I'm absolutely terrible at anything but recoloring, and there's still the lack of running/fishing/surfing/biking/eventually diving?/fishing WHILE surfing animations and sprites for anyone but the main character; if I only had to worry about the walking sprites I probably could have taken care of it easily ):

And as an aside, @ hyzenthlay- I really like what you've done with that so far c:

Is the hair supposed to be reminding me of Togekiss?

Thank ya thank ya. It was originally supposed to be Lati@s. I created that character wayy back in the day before 4th gen, and the Lati twins became my favorite Pokemon ever. But when I used to roleplay with her, I threw a Togekiss on her team so either or. c:

I'm studying the sprites in order to continue work on my own sprite set, and I found that the walking and fishing sprites turned out to be the same sprite with a stick attached to them. As for the running sprites, that was done by moving the head one pixel down and one forward, and moving the rest of the body one pixel backward.

BACK SPRITES TAKE FOREVER. Just a warning. Mine took a solid ten hours. :/

post-40459-0-35475800-1375501199_thumb.png

Shit... I still don't know what to do for a VS. sprite. I mean, should I go for Persona-style or Pokémon-style? Could I do x pose with some frankenedits? Am I overthinking this? Am I overthinking everything? Do we as a species overthink everything?!?

...yeah, I'm not all that worried about the backsprites, but the VS one is gonna be killer for me. Just because I can't decide on a style for this guy.

Too bad the sprite I'm doing corresponds to an existing character.

P3_Protagonist_render.png

Yeeeah someonekillmenow

Ohhh. My character was out of the blue, a long time ago. Saw her sprite kickin' around and just revamped it.

I think I'm gunna create another one with a different save file. /hm.

• Administrators

Does that hold true even despite the fact that I'd probably have to use 4th gen style overworld sprites?

Also please continue that I absolutely love P3 and you should keep it up :D

For a VS sprite, a cut in of sorts like the ones ingame when you crit/hit a weakness could work, maybe?

Does that hold true even despite the fact that I'd probably have to use 4th gen style overworld sprites?

Also please continue that I absolutely love P3 and you should keep it up :D

For a VS sprite, a cut in of sorts like the ones ingame when you crit/hit a weakness could work, maybe?

Thanks, though I'm afraid the P3 cut-ins wouldn't really work well with the rest of the game. And I really can't decide on either art style. I'm actually a novice at spriting; some of the final details on the trainer sprite were made by "my Asian friend"... who, for some reason, didn't want to be named.

And you probably won't have to use Gen IV sprites---this game runs on Gen III sprites. Even the source files hint at this. However, the trainer back animations and Key Battle sprites are definitely Gen IV.

EDIT: And it also occurred to me that Reborn also starts on a train... how badly lost you have to be to end up in a train in another world is a question to be answered by your own imagination.

Edited by RisingManes

GUH.

I know I'm not supposed to neither double-post nor do I have the full spriteset, but.

This has taken me SO much work.

vsTrainer0_zps477a9923.png

To-do list is now at:

37daa1f2d0ce798596d1ea360d3d70f3.png

Now for the backsprites (should be comparatively easy, right? <_<) and the remaining sprites.

These are all references, failed attempts and the remaining files. Also the sprite rips for Emerald NPCs for... reference! I'm gonna have a hard time with the backsprites... but I'm so close.

Ya, I got lazy too and ended up editing Laura's sprite. Spacing was soo difficult for the overworld sprites.

My backsprites took me about ten hours to do. -_-

Thank God this is over, is all I have to say.

But I am reallyyy happy with how the overworld back sprite looks. Totally in love with the shading on her hair.

post-40459-0-85396900-1375842693_thumb.png

post-40459-0-88268400-1375842694_thumb.png

post-40459-0-91996100-1375842695.png

post-40459-0-63197300-1375842696_thumb.png

post-40459-0-28602300-1375842697_thumb.png

Edited by hyzenthlay

Hey, need me to make that trainer sprite transparent?

Untitled_zps60dbbe82.png

No need to ask---here it is!

I recoloured my sprite, then I got lazy and used the female Reborn sprite as a base for the other stuff, hence why some parts look terrible T_T

trainer001_zpsc81af7a8.pngvsTrainer1_zps33b244a8.pnggirl_run_zps608a1433.pnggirl_walk_zpsbc5a1871.png

The headband doesn't follow a straight curve. To do that, you need to use increments.

Kinda like this:

curved_jag.gif

Hope it helps!

...the protagonists have canon names?

Edited by RisingManes

Hey, need me to make that trainer sprite transparent?

Untitled_zps60dbbe82.png

No need to ask---here it is!

Thanks!

I was gunna enlarge it to 200%, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Too busy grinding up a Prankster Whimsicott with Sunny Day and a Magmar with Lava Plume in order to beat Serra. -_-