Explaining Bizarre Pokemon Designs

Amethyst

• Administrators

So I saw this on tumblr and it actually is a really cool theory

Okay so … the way a lot of media franchises work is that they have sort of a series bible that explains the finer points of everything, and it’s boring to just dump the series bible right out in the dialog so they’ll allude to a singular concept from different angles so that those concepts give you a glimpse of the whole idea.

Pokemon has been doing that for a while, and finally drove it home in Gen 5.

There’s this concept in Pokemon that Pokemon spontaneously come into existence as a result of the existence of another thing. This concept is never explained clearly and outright, but it’s hinted to at several points. The origin story of Voltorb and Klink are good examples, but so are Pokemon like Mr Mime and Vanillite.

Pokemon come into existence to reflect memes from the collective human consciousness. Real birds exist and humans understand that so new Pokemon come into existence that are based on real birds. You may also conclude that the animals that most Pokemon are “based” on could’ve been driven to extinction by their Pokemon counterparts, which is in no way supported in the games or comics or anime, but would be a reasonable conclusion.

Okay but wait there’s more!

Legendary Pokemon only exist because their legend exists. It’s like a chicken/egg problem. The lore of a legendary Pokemon makes it real. Arceus only created the universe because the people of Sinnoh believed it to be true, and it retroactively became true.

There’s this optional story thing in Heart Gold / Soul Silver where Cynthia talks about the connection between Johto’s Unown and Sinnoh’s Arcues legends, and how the two might be related. We then see a swarm of Unown bringing a new Arcues into existence - one totally different from the Arceus featured in the previous game.

Remember in the anime movie when Unown had the power to make dreams a reality? Pokemon exist as a result of human dreams and language and Unown are the manifestation of that concept.

That’s how Pokemon work.

WHHHGAAAAAAA........

*Sven's Mindnuked*

Okay, okay

*Gathers himself and collective thoughts together*

So the gist of this is that Unknown are the only actual "Pokemon". And that they have the ability that allows the to create the physical manifestation of a person's dreams/ideal reality and with that it led to the creation of pokemon. So, it allows must me that there are or must be ruins builted in honor of the unknown. The thing is that when looking into the entire pokemon universe and what not. Drayden mentions been around even before pokeballs were built. So pokemon must've existed tens of thousands if not millions of years ago, unless someone wanted the animals that went extinct to be brought back as pokemon fossils (Aerodactyl, Archeops, & Bastidon). This in a sense can explains why a pokemon like Spiritomb & Shedinja exist since Spiritomb is just a collection of evil human souls and Shedinja is just an old cicada exoskeleton. It also explains to an extent why gender exclusive pokemon like Kangaskhan, Chansey, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan and Jynx exist, also along with the later sets of regional pokemon.

The concept of the Unknown has always been interesting. The Unknown are a sort of psychic collective. Each individual is practically an invalid on its own. But with the hundreds to thousands collected in the third movie, and the dozens surrounding Arceus in the manga, you create the reality warping hive-mind. In the pokedex entrees, the mention that no one knows which came first, writing, or the unknown, which is interesting, in that it could be that people influenced the characteristics of Unkown, or that humans in the pokemon world based language off of pokemon. But as for the Unknown being the only "real" pokemon...I think that their is too much contradicting the theory. In the Sinnoh based games, their is a legend that says pokemon and humans once sat at the same table, their being no difference between the two. While in the original Japanese, the legend actually mentions marriage between human and pokemon, because the were originally one and the same. Which had led some people to think humans in the pokemon world evolved (the Darwinian way) from pokemon, and not apes. Which would mean that pokemon were already part of nature, long before the dreams of humans influenced their grand design. In my opinion, I saw the seen in the HeartGold/SoulSilver mange as a sign that the Unknown were Arceus' method of implementing his will and power, rather than creating a new Arceus. Arceus could just as easily have been teleported from his resting place by the Unknown. The Unknown probably doing so instinctively due to the 16 plates being collected. Showing that the Unknown are close to Arceus, but not above his power.

Edited by JayDo

• Administrators

I saw that too, I thought it was pretty cool.

didnt you see it from reblogging it from me? >>; i noticed you did

So is this a cool theory with or without your bias towards the Unown and the third movie, Ame?

both! <3

I do believe that the unown have the power to bring about legendary pokemon, but I don't believe that they brought about every pokemon based off of an image that man had created whether it in their dreams or not. They are seen around Entei too, so I believe the legendary part, but I don't think that Pokemon is based off of a dream world where everything was brought about by them. It stated that pokemon could possibly have driven their animal counterparts that we all know in the real world to extinction, but I think it's a far different line. I think that the pokemon are in fact based off of the animals and life that we know in the real world because they are them. Evolution is a recurring basis and disputably, the origin of pokemon itself. Pokemon is based around evolving and becoming stronger, so my theory is that all pokemon are evolved forms of the same animals we know in the real world. It's almost as if Pokemon is based of an alternate universe where animals could thrive and evolve faster than on our own planet. It would explain why since the dawn of pokemon began they were forced to defend themselves and develop specialized attacks. It also explains why the pokemon trainers themselves jump right into training and catching them. It's because of a co-existance with humans much like our own, just in another universe where evolution thrives more than our own. In the Pokemon Movie Lucario and the Mystery of Mew, you can actually see pokemon fighting in wars and commanded by humans, in a time zone that appears to be 1700 or 1800s. (Rough estimate) This would explain why dragon type pokemon exist, because around that era of time is when the rumors and tales of dragons came about. Almost every legend is based off of some kind of truth and in a co-existing evolution much different from our own dragons could potentially still be alive if they weren't killed by humans in all of the folklore. If dragons exist in this world it would only make sense that fairies, which are another folklore of mankind, would exist as well. As technology evolves as well in Pokemon and can be seen in many aspects of every new game that comes out, it would explain why inanimate objects such as ice cream, cotton candy and steel type pokemon could have evolved from being in constant interaction with technology. Yes, ice cream and cotton candy most likely couldn't evolve, but if plants can isn't it possible that plants or animals could possess certain items to become stronger? It's much like a crab finds a shell to protect itself in, or how a burmy covers itself in trash. I know this is really long, but it's my opinion on the origin of Pokemon. Thanks for reading it if you did xD.

Edited by Aizen805

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is a bit of topic but I was wondering... Why don't the Pokemon just- Y'know... Rise up and kill the Humans? There's no reason they couldn't, Humans don't have any powers, Pokemon do. And a lot of Pokemon are smarter than Humans too. There's never any explanation in the games or manga as to why Pokemon listen to Humans, if I were a Pokemon I sure as hell wouldn't... "You want to put me in a tiny round capsule? How about I rip your face off?"

Any way, I'm going to tie that into the topic at hand. My theory is, as some have suggested, is that Humans evolved from Pokemon. When they evolved they lost all of their powers but gained an ability or move (like a Pokemon ability or move) to command other Pokemon. Eventually over the course of hundreds/thousands/tens of thousands of years they stopped considering and calling themselves Pokemon, but instead thought of themselves as higher beings, Humans.

That's the only explanation that makes sense to me, but nothing like that is ever brought up... I still love Pokemon, but every time I send out my Dragonite to fight for me, I still wonder why he doesn't just turn around and hyper beam me in the face... Seriously, what's there to stop him?

Edited by Ackalacka

I know this is a bit of topic but I was wondering... Why don't the Pokemon just- Y'know... Rise up and kill the Humans? There's no reason they couldn't, Humans don't have any powers, Pokemon do. And a lot of Pokemon are smarter than Humans too. There's never any explanation in the games or manga as to why Pokemon listen to Humans, if I were a Pokemon I sure as hell wouldn't... "You want to put me in a tiny round capsule? How about I rip your face off?"

Any way, I'm going to tie that into the topic at hand. My theory is, as some have suggested, is that Humans evolved from Pokemon. When they evolved they lost all of their powers but gained an ability or move (like a Pokemon ability or move) to command other Pokemon. Eventually over the course of hundreds/thousands/tens of thousands of years they stopped considering and calling themselves Pokemon, but instead thought of themselves as higher beings, Humans.

That's the only explanation that makes sense to me, but nothing like that is ever brought up... I still love Pokemon, but every time I send out my Dragonite to fight for me, I still wonder why he doesn't just turn around and hyper beam me in the face... Seriously, what's there to stop him?

The fact that it's a children's game. And sharing eternal bonds with your pokemon.

Cool theory, supporting it.

• 2 weeks later...

Unown are so mysterious! They may be useless in battle, but you gotta admit, as a child, you tried to collect them all at least once thinking that it will activate some big hidden event.

Now all I have in my brain is that all the psychic pokemon, like Mr Mime and Jynx are the pokemon that haven't evolved in this direction but gained more physical powers

and now are all powerful beings that can manipulate time and space

also all humans are psychic types that have a connection to Unown

Dammmmmmmmmn

• 1 month later...

I'unno, I think this is just overcomplicating things and trying to make it sound more complex than it really is. It's the main reason I don't really like theories like this; It's a kids' game. My theory? Dogs that shoot fire. Done.

Its an interesting theory, but I don't know how much faith I can put into it. I can understand the legendary thing where the legends are only as legendary as humans make them (i.e. Phione, Manaphy), but then you get into instances like some of the movies that the Unown are involved in. If you watch the Third movie, you can clearly tell that the Unown created Entei out of the dreams of the little girl and made it a reality.

I think that a lot of Legendary Pokémon only exist as one current being (for every region anyway) that may or may not have been bred into by a parent Pokémon (i.e. a Lugia or a Latios/Latias). I feel like Professor Rowan is right when he says that a Majority of Pokémon continue to breed and evolve because their species is forever developing, while some have either reached peak evolution or were simply not created to evolve and were born at their peak.

Unown are so mysterious! They may be useless in battle, but you gotta admit, as a child, you tried to collect them all at least once thinking that it will activate some big hidden event.

I really wish there was a game in which that was actually the case... *Begins stalking Ame to implement it on Reborn*