Team Recommendations?

jbastian1

Hey everyone,

So I just beat Adrienn and I am thinking about re-vamping up my team some. I'll post below my current team and then the team I intend to run. Let me know some of your ideas!

Current Team:

Feraligatr- Sheer Force       (Debating subbing in Kingdra here. Ideally looking for something that can surf and waterfall effectively. Let me know of any other good water types in mind)

Ice Punch 

Waterfall

Crunch

Dive

Braviary- Defiant                (Plan on swapping out for Aerodactyl)

Fly

Aerial Ace

Superpower

Slash

Rhyperior- Rock Hard        (Due to Aerodactyl's rock typing, I will be switching out for Steelix)

Earthquake

Stone Edge

Return

Megahorn

Magnezone- Sturdy           (Due to Steelix's Steel typing I will be switching out for Galvantula)

Discharge

Metal Sound

Flash Cannon

Magnet Rise

Rapidash- Flame Body       (Maybe keeping? I'm not sure, the longer the story has progressed, the more niche he has become making him less useful in a general sense)

Strength

Flame Charge

Fire Blast

Megahorn

Vivillon- Compound Eyes   (Because I will be having Aerodactyl as my flyer, and probably Galvantula as my Bug, this slot will be open. I am thinking of utilizing Jynx for typing)

Sleep Powder

Quiver Dance

Hurricane

Bug Buzz

So that is my team with the notes on the substitutions I have in mind. Please let me know what thoughts you have and any advice that may be worth my while! Also, I am aware that the current team has a lot of holes, so please keep the critiques and constructive criticism about the changes as opposed to what I already have!

Thanks

Hi JBastian, in the area you've got coming up you can catch a gible if you have pokesnax if you want a decent ground type (unless if you're using mega steelix then go ahead) or maybe one of the Nidos or Krookodile. I would personally recommend keeping the Magnezone as it comes in clutch for so many situations unless you're seeking to make things trickier. Galvantula would be a good replacement if you do rid of the Magnezone though.

Either a ludicolo or a alolan-Exeggutor might be good to cover any water-type issues you may have. Something with a terrain changing move might also be good for some upcoming gyms. Do you have access to an infernape? That might be a good pokemon to replace your Rapidash with if you do decide to get rid of it. For that last member, I would go for either a Jynx or a Gardevoir. They're both decent psychic types that can deal with a nice variety of types (grass, flying, ground, dragon in Jynx's case and dragon, dark in Gvoir's case plus whatever psychic types can demo too).

Also have a look at what items and tms you have to see which pokemon you can use.

Hello and thanks for some of the tips!

I currently do not have access to an infernape, at least I dont think I do... 

Also, would you say that Kingdra is not the best choice for a water type? I like that the stats are well rounded so it can use both physical and special moves, making good use of surf and either dive/waterfall as needed. That in addition to dragon dance could make it a potent sweeper for this game. I definitely think I will be keeping the smoochum I got and evolving it for that last slot. I have been going back and forth a lot on whether to keep magnezone as he is so great, but I do fear about not having a good ground type. That being said, I really do not care for many of the other ground type pokemon other than my rhyperior, steelix, and the Nidos. My only worry is that the nidos tend to not learn ground type moves by leveling up so that means a lack of earthquake which kind of sucks. The only ground move I have is bulldoze which is okay, but certainly not the best. I

What do you think about if I went for a hippowdon that has the sand stream ability? It would give me a weather changing ability to save the use of a move, the sandstorm wont affect half my team due to the steel and rock types of Magnezone and Aerodactyl, plus I'd get an earthquaker! I think I like this idea.

Let me know what you think!

The Nidos can be utilized where they are special rather than physical attackers (Cain and Aya show this). Perhaps earth power, sludge wave could be used here.

I think you could come up with an interesting set the Hippowdon and its not too bad so go for it if you wish. The sand stream would also stop certain mins using aurora veil when the default weather is hail.

Kingdra is a good Mon to use to deal with those pesky Dragon types and have many resistances. 

You can donate money to the grand hall projects and one of them give you a chimchar for a reward ( I believe it is the azurine island). You trade a delibird for it.

Krookodile is a phenomenal ground type, especially if you can get it with moxie. though intimidate can help too. it learns great moves like foul play, earthquake and stone edge on top of a fairly monstrous atk stat.

i would save magnezone, especially for what you're coming up to.

also dont be afraid to double up on typings, just because a pokemon is of a certain type dosent mean another powerful pokemon sharing that type should be overlooked entirely, my current team has 3 Ground types for goodness sake. 

I'm sorry but Jynx is just not that good haha.

You don't really need an ice type pokemon if you got ice punch gator or kingdra for the dragon types. And you've got enough for flying, grass, and ground as well

Maybe Venusaur is a better choice

You don't have a grass and poison type on your team and with the sticky web of galvantula you might be able to outspeed a lot of stuff. Also it's really bulky and can give you a lot of turns with leech seed, synthesis and giga drain.

But if you're going to use Hippo Venusaur's synthesis is less powerfull in sandstorm so watch out for that.

You could also go with Ferrothorn. It has great defensive typing and doesn't get hit by sandstorm but also comes with another fyghting type weakness.

And you are kinda weak to fighting types so you could replace your rapidash with a Delphox or a Chandelure.

Chandelure gets psychic through tm and i think this thing will be a MONSTER under sticky webs. It also gets Will-o-wisp and energy ball for coverage.

Delphox could be a nice option too cause it gets dazzling gleam.

For another water type you could go with swampert, slowbro or primarina.

Swampert for the full on sand team, slowbro for your fighting type weakness. But i don't think you'll need 2 defensive pokemon because you'll probably have steelix or hippo already.

Primarina would be best because of your dark type weakness and because of her somewhat lacking speed but great sp.attack she's also very good under sticky webs. Moonblast and surf are going to take lives lol. She also gets psychic through tm for some coverage.

Looks like i recommended a lot of starters lol. Hope it helped anyways!

15 hours ago, N1Dude said:

I'm sorry but Jynx is just not that good haha.

You don't really need an ice type pokemon if you got ice punch gator or kingdra for the dragon types. And you've got enough for flying, grass, and ground as well

Maybe Venusaur is a better choice

You don't have a grass and poison type on your team and with the sticky web of galvantula you might be able to outspeed a lot of stuff. Also it's really bulky and can give you a lot of turns with leech seed, synthesis and giga drain.

But if you're going to use Hippo Venusaur's synthesis is less powerfull in sandstorm so watch out for that.

You could also go with Ferrothorn. It has great defensive typing and doesn't get hit by sandstorm but also comes with another fyghting type weakness.

And you are kinda weak to fighting types so you could replace your rapidash with a Delphox or a Chandelure.

Chandelure gets psychic through tm and i think this thing will be a MONSTER under sticky webs. It also gets Will-o-wisp and energy ball for coverage.

Delphox could be a nice option too cause it gets dazzling gleam.

For another water type you could go with swampert, slowbro or primarina.

Swampert for the full on sand team, slowbro for your fighting type weakness. But i don't think you'll need 2 defensive pokemon because you'll probably have steelix or hippo already.

Primarina would be best because of your dark type weakness and because of her somewhat lacking speed but great sp.attack she's also very good under sticky webs. Moonblast and surf are going to take lives lol. She also gets psychic through tm for some coverage.

Looks like i recommended a lot of starters lol. Hope it helped anyways!

18 hours ago, MachoPony said:

Krookodile is a phenomenal ground type, especially if you can get it with moxie. though intimidate can help too. it learns great moves like foul play, earthquake and stone edge on top of a fairly monstrous atk stat.

i would save magnezone, especially for what you're coming up to.

also dont be afraid to double up on typings, just because a pokemon is of a certain type dosent mean another powerful pokemon sharing that type should be overlooked entirely, my current team has 3 Ground types for goodness sake. 

Okay,

So I have done a lot of thinking on this... I ended up keeping Magnezone on the team. He really has been a key player for me all the way back to right before Shade and his flash cannon is just too good to pass up. That being said, he is set in stone. 

Jynx, I have been on the fence with. Her special attack is decent and she has pretty good speed. I did however find Sneasel, and Weavile is my favorite Pokemon... So I am thinking I will end up utilizing Weavile as my Ice mon (helps with the dragons and flyers, plus the dark typing will help against psychic and ghost). Also because of the Dark typing I would rather not go for Krookodile. 

In regards to being weak against fighting, my Aerodactyl (which I already subbed in) pretty much one shots any of them with Fly. Its a Jolly nature too, so far nothing has been able to outspeed it. 

One thing though that I have noticed is that my team is short on special attackers, aside from Magnezone... I am having a really hard time picking one that I like. Chandelure is a fantastic option, but I see a lot of people running them on their team, friends of mine included, and I would love to try something a little different. I was thinking perhaps Roserade? I would get the poison typing with it and the ability to use moves like dazzling gleam, toxic spikes, and leech seed. 

All of that being said, I will say I think it will be a challenge to not have a solid fire type pokemon on the team. I am currently stuck at the Titania fight and having a fire pokemon would really really help with this. I may just keep Rapidash in rotation, but not on the main team? How often are fire types useful after Titania? 

1 hour ago, jbastian1 said:

All of that being said, I will say I think it will be a challenge to not have a solid fire type pokemon on the team. I am currently stuck at the Titania fight and having a fire pokemon would really really help with this. I may just keep Rapidash in rotation, but not on the main team? How often are fire types useful after Titania? 

Gym leader wise there will be no more mons with a fire weakness but in the pokemon league then there defo will be. I would keep a fire type around, preferably one with dual typing. 

As for the Roserade, it's a nice grass/poison type to use and can be used well in the next gym