moves:

Rock Slide, Crunch, Thrash, Accelerock

-Silvally: Sassy nature

moves:

Multi Attack, X-Scissor, Fire Pledge, Iron Head

-Araquanid: Serious nature, Water Bubble

moves:

Liquidation, Lunge, Crunch, Mirror Coat

So, I usually rotate a few of my teammates out for each gym leader, but I would like to have a main team of 6. So far, I only have 2 confirmed main team members, being Typhlosion and Lycanroc. Any suggestions on what I should catch/keep as a main teammate? Also, any moveset recommendations for my current team?

Other mons I rotate around:

Clawitzer, Skuntank, Toxicroak, Granbull, Meowstic (M), Ampharos

Some disclaimers:

-Forgot to change my mons' natures and I can't go back to reborn yet (just beat Samson). Not even sure what nature to give Silvally since it makes use of all it's stats.

-I know Typhlosion has 3 fire moves + Nature Power, but he doesn't get many options 😛. plus, Flame Charge into Flamethrower or Nature Power has come in handy before. Still open to any suggestions

-Lycanroc has a lot of good moves to replace Thrash with, but I haven't bothered since Thrash is still a nuke. That being said, I was thinking of either Drill Run or Stealth Rock since Charlotte's next?

Edited by kambing

If you want a team of 6, you should keep those that you feel have performed best in your opinion. If the performed good until now, they will also do so for the rest of the game.

And since you have Silvally, you have more freedom in your team's composition because it can take different typings.

I'd give Lycanroc Drill Run for better coverage. Rock Slide is better against Charlotte anyway, if you waste a turn setting SRocks Lycanroc will be defeated immediately. But if you use Rain Dance Prankster Meowstic it would work.

I don't know how good non-Water moves are on Araquanid, but I think Sticky Web would be better than keeping Crunch.

You should consider changing Noivern's ability to Infiltrator, Telepathy doesn't help you at all.

Also you could teach Typhlosion Fire Pledge and change that of Silvally to another Pledge move so you can create either a Burning Field (Grass Pledge) or the Rainbow Field (Water Pledge) to help with difficult battles. Burning Field would go really well with Typhlosion's Flash Fire and Eruption. But the rest of your team would benefit more from the Rainbow Field, especially Noivern (boosted damage) and Lycanroc (double flinch chance).

1 hour ago, Edo said:

If you want a team of 6, you should keep those that you feel have performed best in your opinion. If the performed good until now, they will also do so for the rest of the game.

And since you have Silvally, you have more freedom in your team's composition because it can take different typings.

I'd give Lycanroc Drill Run for better coverage. Rock Slide is better against Charlotte anyway, if you waste a turn setting SRocks Lycanroc will be defeated immediately. But if you use Rain Dance Prankster Meowstic it would work.

I don't know how good non-Water moves are on Araquanid, but I think Sticky Web would be better than keeping Crunch.

You should consider changing Noivern's ability to Infiltrator, Telepathy doesn't help you at all.

Also you could teach Typhlosion Fire Pledge and change that of Silvally to another Pledge move so you can create either a Burning Field (Grass Pledge) or the Rainbow Field (Water Pledge) to help with difficult battles. Burning Field would go really well with Typhlosion's Flash Fire and Eruption. But the rest of your team would benefit more from the Rainbow Field, especially Noivern (boosted damage) and Lycanroc (double flinch chance).

Oof, thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't even think of giving Silvally a different pledge to sync with Typhlosion lol. What move do you recommed replacing fire pledge with on Typhlo tho? I picked Cyndaquil because I read about Eruption being great in this game, but so far in most important battles it gets outsped anyway thanks to those EV-ed and IV-ed mons, so I found myself clicking flamethrower more. Still, Eruption has come in handy before...

As for the team of 6, a lot of my mons have performed exceptionally in some cases but have been fodder in others. Meowstic especially since most fighting types have something to 1v1 it anyway. I always get annoyed whenever Lycanroc gets outsped by something that should be slower than it, but at the same time it always proves useful in practically every battle I've been in regardless, especially with Accelerock.  You got any suggestions based on your own experiences?

edit: Oh yeah, and I haven't changed Noivern's ability yet in case I had to bring Ampharos onto the team for Charlotte, since it has Discharge. Should I just change it anyway?

Edited by kambing

1 hour ago, kambing said:

Oof, thanks for all the suggestions. I didn't even think of giving Silvally a different pledge to sync with Typhlosion lol. What move do you recommed replacing fire pledge with on Typhlo tho? I picked Cyndaquil because I read about Eruption being great in this game, but so far in most important battles it gets outsped anyway thanks to those EV-ed and IV-ed mons, so I found myself clicking flamethrower more. Still, Eruption has come in handy before...

Well, since you can't change natures now, and if you don't have the Power Anklet for the EV training, you could replace Flamethrower for now. You get the TM from Charlotte after beating her anyway, and Fire Pledge is only slightly weaker than Flamethrower. You can cycle between Flamethrower/Nature Power with the TMs as well.

But if I were you, sometime later I'd replace Flame Charge and EV train in Speed and give it a speed increasing nature. And if you teach Araquanid Sticky Web, Typhlosion will definitely outspeed everything, so one more reason to ditch Flame Charge.

Oh yeah, and I haven't changed Noivern's ability yet in case I had to bring Ampharos onto the team for Charlotte, since it has Discharge. Should I just change it anyway?

Yeah just change it, Ampharos and Discharge will likely not be as helpful for that fight as you hope. Better go for effective moves like Rock Slide and Earthquake.

As for the team of 6, a lot of my mons have performed exceptionally in some cases but have been fodder in others. Meowstic especially since most fighting types have something to 1v1 it anyway. I always get annoyed whenever Lycanroc gets outsped by something that should be slower than it, but at the same time it always proves useful in practically every battle I've been in regardless, especially with Accelerock.  You got any suggestions based on your own experiences?

I like the team you currently have and wouldn't replace anyone. But I haven't used all of them, so I can't say with certainty that this would be the best team, hence why I told you to go with whatever you feel like were the best so far.

If you have the Psychic Memory, then Silvally will make for a much bulkier Psychic mon than Meowstic anyway. And the true worth of male Meowstic lies in setting up Reflect/Light Screen with Prankster, so unless you want to use it for that, don't bother with it. And by the way, with Parting Shot Silvally can be a great support as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Edo said:

Well, since you can't change natures now, and if you don't have the Power Anklet for the EV training, you could replace Flamethrower for now. You get the TM from Charlotte after beating her anyway, and Fire Pledge is only slightly weaker than Flamethrower. You can cycle between Flamethrower/Nature Power with the TMs as well.

But if I were you, sometime later I'd replace Flame Charge and EV train in Speed and give it a speed increasing nature. And if you teach Araquanid Sticky Web, Typhlosion will definitely outspeed everything, so one more reason to ditch Flame Charge.

Yeah, I just took a good look at my Tyhplosion and realized I could've done more to fix it up. Good idea with flamethrower and fire pledge tho, thanks. Once I fix up it's EVs, I'm thinking of replacing Flame Charge with maybe Brick Break? Thing is, with the gap between it's atk and sp.atk, idk if it'll even outdamage Flamethrower against mons that are weak to fighting lmao.

19 minutes ago, Edo said:

Yeah just change it, Ampharos and Discharge will likely not be as helpful for that fight as you hope. Better go for effective moves like Rock Slide and Earthquake.

Alright then, hopefully jolly Krookodile will be enough to outspeed some of her mons. I have a feeling Accelerock will be especially useful in this fight too.

21 minutes ago, Edo said:

I like the team you currently have and wouldn't replace anyone. But I haven't used all of them, so I can't say with certainty that this would be the best team, hence why I told you to go with whatever you feel like were the best so far.

If you have the Psychic Memory, then Silvally will make for a much bulkier Psychic mon than Meowstic anyway. And the true worth of male Meowstic lies in setting up Reflect/Light Screen with Prankster, so unless you want to use it for that, don't bother with it. And by the way, with Parting Shot Silvally can be a great support as well.

Nah, I meant like, any Pokemon I didn't list that you've used before 😛. I'm using Psychic Silvally right now, though I believe I can get the water memory before Charlotte? I'm not super sure. I picked Null up because I really liked the idea of Parting Shot lmao. But yeah, I stopped using Meowstic after Kiki when Machamp 2-shot it through reflect. Might have to bring it back for Charlotte if my other guys can't cut it though.

42 minutes ago, kambing said:

Alright then, hopefully jolly Krookodile will be enough to outspeed some of her mons. I have a feeling Accelerock will be especially useful in this fight too.

Nah, I meant like, any Pokemon I didn't list that you've used before 😛. I'm using Psychic Silvally right now, though I believe I can get the water memory before Charlotte? I'm not super sure. I picked Null up because I really liked the idea of Parting Shot lmao. But yeah, I stopped using Meowstic after Kiki when Machamp 2-shot it through reflect. Might have to bring it back for Charlotte if my other guys can't cut it though.

Outspeeding her might be difficult, half of her team is really fast, thanks to perfect EVs, IVs and nature that all leaders have from Charlotte onwards. I had a Lycanroc when I first played as well, and Accelrock was definitely helpful. But how I see it, you already have what you need to beat Charlotte.

Honestly, I think you'll be good with your current team, no need to train up anything this late in the game. And there are hardly better alternatives for what you already have, it wouldn't pay off to change anything. The only thing you seem to lack is perfecting your natures and EVs.

37 minutes ago, Edo said:

Outspeeding her might be difficult, half of her team is really fast, thanks to perfect EVs, IVs and nature that all leaders have from Charlotte onwards. I had a Lycanroc when I first played as well, and Accelrock was definitely helpful. But how I see it, you already have what you need to beat Charlotte.

Honestly, I think you'll be good with your current team, no need to train up anything this late in the game. And there are hardly better alternatives for what you already have, it wouldn't pay off to change anything. The only thing you seem to lack is perfecting your natures and EVs.

Ah, good to know. Then I just gotta try my luck. Thanks for all the tips, I really appreciate it.

If you want to use the same six Pokémon for everything you should think about Doubles snyergy in your team as many of the hardest upcoming battles will be Doubles. Typhlosion for instance would appreciate a fast partner who could set up a Grassy Field or Sunny Day to Eruption your way through enemies. Since Eruption relies on HP Araquanid is actually also a great partner as it gets bot Sticky Web (as Edo already mentioned) as well as Wide Guard to protect Typhlosion from RockSlide and Earthquake. I used Eruption quite a lot during a Fire Monotype and it's very powerful when properly set up; you can even use it to sweep Charlotte.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Gentleman Jaggi said:

If you want to use the same six Pokémon for everything you should think about Doubles snyergy in your team as many of the hardest upcoming battles will be Doubles. Typhlosion for instance would appreciate a fast partner who could set up a Grassy Field or Sunny Day to Eruption your way through enemies. Since Eruption relies on HP Araquanid is actually also a great partner as it gets bot Sticky Web (as Edo already mentioned) as well as Wide Guard to protect Typhlosion from RockSlide and Earthquake. I used Eruption quite a lot during a Fire Monotype and it's very powerful when properly set up; you can even use it to sweep Charlotte.

I'm still not 100% sure If I want to use the same 6 pokemon tbh. So far I like the idea of rotating mons, but sometimes training newer ones can get tedious and certain teams could have too many shared weaknesses. Wide Guard sounds pretty neat honestly. Those types of moves usually never caught my interest but I guess Reborn would be the best game to make use of em. I..also didn't realize Eruption can sweep Charlotte?? I'm gonna have to try that then.

If you're going up against Charlotte next, I'd highly recommend adding a Rhyperior to your rotation and using it for the fight. You can get Rhydon in the caves just outside Calcenon. It is certainly slow, however if you teach another mon Trick Room, you can pretty much OHKO her whole team with Rockslide. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jbastian1 said:

If you're going up against Charlotte next, I'd highly recommend adding a Rhyperior to your rotation and using it for the fight. You can get Rhydon in the caves just outside Calcenon. It is certainly slow, however if you teach another mon Trick Room, you can pretty much OHKO her whole team with Rockslide. 

That sounds like a great idea! If I can't manage to beat her with my current team I'll definitely snag a Rhydon.

Yeah, when I got a new laptop and lost my previous game, I had to restart. (My older game had me just after I beat Ciel who is MY ARCH NEMESIS). I spent my entire new playthrough training up a rotation of mons specifically to deal with Ciel which involved me having a Rhyperior (had never used one before)  and a Trick Room Solrock. HOLY HELL was it fantastic and I beat Ciel my first time through. Additionally, I had totally forgotten that Charlotte can be such a challenging fight, but honestly wrecked her with my Ciel crushing team. I am currently in the middle of a Mono-flying run so I am excited to see how well I can manage.

5 hours ago, kambing said:

I'm still not 100% sure If I want to use the same 6 pokemon tbh. So far I like the idea of rotating mons, but sometimes training newer ones can get tedious and certain teams could have too many shared weaknesses. Wide Guard sounds pretty neat honestly. Those types of moves usually never caught my interest but I guess Reborn would be the best game to make use of em. I..also didn't realize Eruption can sweep Charlotte?? I'm gonna have to try that then.

Wide Guard is one of those moves you really never need in the official games but Reborn loves its OP Doubles so much that it's super useful for setting up. Especuially since the AI isn't smart enough to not spam Rock Slides against it.

Charlotte's team is mostly frail attackers so with enough boosts - Field, weather, held item - a powerful attack like Eruption can rip through her even with the Type resistance. I used a Drought Ninetales with Heat Wave and the Metronome held item on Typhlosion.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2020 at 2:46 AM, Gentleman Jaggi said:

Wide Guard is one of those moves you really never need in the official games but Reborn loves its OP Doubles so much that it's super useful for setting up. Especuially since the AI isn't smart enough to not spam Rock Slides against it.

Charlotte's team is mostly frail attackers so with enough boosts - Field, weather, held item - a powerful attack like Eruption can rip through her even with the Type resistance. I used a Drought Ninetales with Heat Wave and the Metronome held item on Typhlosion.

Huh. Well, my nature's a little off but I'mma try it out. Thanks for the suggestions man.