Advice for EV training

Max_fnd

Alright so I recently had to reset my laptop, but my progress for reborn did not carry on with it, as I didn't research where the data was stored properly, despite being rightfully pissed that all my hours are gone and being annoyed at myself for overlooking this, I want to replay the game to finally finish it, And Since I really struggled the first time I want to have some assistance in this run, I know WHAT ev training is but I'm not sure how it works. fighting certain pokemon give certain EV's but how should one go about this? Do I have to perfectly construct my team by only making them fight the specific ones that raise that stat? Is there a specific level I should start ev tranining at? I'm completely clueless to how this works, any advice is appreciated thanks

So for EV training you can use the power items (power anklet, power band, etc) that boost a certain stat's growth in exchange for speed being halved in battle (the stat benefits from this are boosted even more when a Pokémon has pokerus). I'm gonna give you two resources that will help you.

Bulbapedia is a great place to look up what Mons give what EVs (plus a place that can help explain the whole EV mechanic better than I can).

IV/EV guide for Reborn (do note some of this info is outdated):

• Like 1

So every time your pokemon "kills" another pokemon gets points called EV(for example defating Bulbasaur gives you +1 point to Sp. attack EV). You can accumulate up to 510 points total, but only up to 252 in single stat. Due to way this EV are "translated" to stats only number dividable by 4 makes difference(Which means there is no difference between for example 1 point and 3 points).You speed up EV training by equiping bracers(For example if you are holding power anklet you are getting +8 speed and +1 Sp.Attack for killing the same bulbasaur) at cost of being 50% slower. You can buy them at 4th floor of Departament Store. You can use "Friendship berries"(Avaiable at second floor of departament) to remove up to 10 point from single stat per use making it available to be allocated elsewhere.

So let's look at your questions.

"fighting certain pokemon give certain EV's but how should one go about this? Do I have to perfectly construct my team by only making them fight the specific ones that raise that stat?"

You can try to optimize process of EV grinding by fighting only specific pokemons,but way I approach this is I grind as normal with bracers equiped(then I got more points in stat I want than in unwanted stats). And then use berries to remove EV I got in unwanted stats. I recommend Obsidia Slums for EV training since pokemon there gives only HP,Attack and speed EV(meaning extra points for stat you probably want and not many stat to clean with berries).

"Is there a specific level I should start ev tranining at?"

The faster you start the better,since you will get less useless EV and spend less for berries. I recommend ev training when you get access to bracers.

Edited by Szafirmag
Formatting fixes
  • Like 1

This was really helpful! Thank you all for posting. I just restarted Reborn for the same reason Max_fnd, lack of research on what to have backed up. *major facepalm* I hope to go about this play through much more thought out  with EV training since I struggled with my first save. I had no clue about the Friendship berries. What a useful item!