American Government Shutdown

Yuki

It's annoying, really, when people are not informed of this stuff as it happens.

At school. there is so much riffraff that... well...

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

It's almost amazing that with all the media that we as a society we are exposed too, we still are not told about this sort of issue

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TL;DR Obama and Harry Reed are acting like fucking children because their precious Healthcare Act is trying to be screwed with so that it doesn't screw we who live in the US of A

Oh noes gollyfuckinggeeinorderforuniversalhealthcaretoworkithastobeuniversalstoopidobamathefuckareyouthinking?

You're gonna have to provide some sauce on why they're 'acting like children' when we had a man trying to filibuster discussions the other day in an attempt to stop Obamacare instead of using the 19 HOURS HE HAD THE FLOOR for discussion.

TL;DR Obama and Harry Reed are acting like fucking children because their precious Healthcare Act is trying to be screwed with so that it doesn't screw we who live in the US of A

Oh noes gollyfuckinggeeinorderforuniversalhealthcaretoworkithastobeuniversalstoopidobamathefuckareyouthinking?

You're gonna have to provide some sauce on why they're 'acting like children' when we had a man trying to filibuster discussions the other day in an attempt to stop Obamacare instead of using the 19 HOURS HE HAD THE FLOOR for discussion.

Not saying that you two are going to get into a politics war, but the words yer using seems kinda like it, so I'm just asking that you please stay civil instead...

Fights over political stuff never ends well. ( Just look at the topic we're posting in for proof, even politicians can't argue nicely)

It's not Obama, it's congress

And I am NO fan of Obama but Obama are would have helped me a lot...

Yup just like I said. Congress not getting anything done it so typical, they truly are the masters of procrastination.

where did i hear that congress's wages are the highest they have been but the number of sessions and days where they are actually in there to work are at their lowest these past 12 years or so? and not even all the congresspersons show on any given day either. they're out about doing a lot of things but it doesn't seem like work is one of them. i don't have a source for this because i obviously can't remember it.

I am really scarred by this. At this point, my family is going through a tough budget and the phone pushes it slightly over the edge. But what scares me is that my dad is actually a Federal Worker that works partially towards the navy in network security. He'll have to work without pay and balance his new job as a pharmacist. I'm pretty much stuck in limbo until this phase is over.

I...Don't know how to feel about this. I mean, I don't like this bullshit over the democrat's acting like whinny children who can't make a decent decision/argument to save their lives and that Congress is forcing many federal workers to suffer because they can't answer a simple question. But...I'm just really worried for myself right now. Sorry if it seems like i'm into my woes about this but..Hell. Somebody has to have a parent that works partly with the government.

I am really scarred by this. At this point, my family is going through a tough budget and the phone pushes it slightly over the edge. But what scares me is that my dad is actually a Federal Worker that works partially towards the navy in network security. He'll have to work without pay and balance his new job as a pharmacist. I'm pretty much stuck in limbo until this phase is over.

I...Don't know how to feel about this. I mean, I don't like this bullshit over the democrat's acting like whinny children who can't make a decent decision/argument to save their lives and that Congress is forcing many federal workers to suffer because they can't answer a simple question. But...I'm just really worried for myself right now. Sorry if it seems like i'm into my woes about this but..Hell. Somebody has to have a parent that works partly with the government.

love to burst yo bubble. it is the rebups as i like to call them stalling that made the shutdown.

love to burst yo bubble. it is the rebups as i like to call them stalling that made the shutdown.

Except that despite the Tea Party being batshit crazy, some of the more moderate Republicans actually have valid points. It would be in the government's best interest to pass a clean funding bill, then revisit the AAC funding at a later date to avoid any further losses.

Except that despite the Tea Party being batshit crazy, some of the more moderate Republicans actually have valid points. It would be in the government's best interest to pass a clean funding bill, then revisit the AAC funding at a later date to avoid any further losses.

True. But why let the government be so selfish. And let folks die everyday when we could save them.

Edited by rotomfan63

Care to elaborate on the government's "selfishness"? 'm not gonna lie, there are many-a selfish politician out there, but I want to hear your definition.

As for "letting people die when we can save them". A government isn't a charity. Its duty is to its citizens, and no one else. People seem to forget that the government can't hold everyone's hand. To quote John F. Kennedy:'

"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

Care to elaborate on the government's "selfishness"? 'm not gonna lie, there are many-a selfish politician out there, but I want to hear your definition.

As for "letting people die when we can save them". A government isn't a charity. Its duty is to its citizens, and no one else. People seem to forget that the government can't hold everyone's hand. To quote John F. Kennedy:'

"My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country"

i hate to say but you may right in some ways. but i think a country has to give it's folks something. And when every other country does it and ends out fine. It just make logic to me that the USA should do the same. Or it could be i'm 13 and therefor stupid.

i hate to say but you may right in some ways. but i think a country has to give it's folks something. And when every other country does it and ends out fine. It just make logic to me that the USA should do the same. Or it could be i'm 13 and therefor stupid.

Except that every other country doesn't just give hand-outs willy-nilly. If you want to be a productive member of any country, you've got to contribute to the well-being of the nation some way or another.

While in a perfect world, it'd be nice for everyone to have everything they need, it's just not feasible.

Now for a bit of on-topic.

I'd really like to see negotiations open. Passing a clean-spending bill is by far the best bet we've got at ending the shutdown.

*sigh* This government shutdown is actually affecting me in a very serious way. Due to a hiccup in the bureaucracy of Social Security, I'm not getting the checks I need to help keep a roof over my head, because they apparently overlooked the paperwork we sent in. They finally found it, and there's supposed to be a hearing, and we're supposed to get checks, but then the government shutdown happened, and now everything's in limbo, and I'll likely not be getting my money until it's over. To the incompetent manchildren who are the source of this shutdown- Thank you SO fucking much!

I agree with you to a point, people shouldn't rely on the government to take care of them, unless there is absolutely nothing they can do about their situation. But the when a government is playing around with people's lives like they've been doing for years that's when I have a problem. Just because the little boys and girls in congress don't like Obama, doesn't mean that you should punish federal workers and people who receive federal aid...

I agree with you to a point, people shouldn't rely on the government to take care of them, unless there is absolutely nothing they can do about their situation. But the when a government is playing around with people's lives like they've been doing for years that's when I have a problem. Just because the little boys and girls in congress don't like Obama, doesn't mean that you should punish federal workers and people who receive federal aid...

Quickest, easiest, legit way for the government to cut its spending right away without cutting a lot of ongoing funding or bumping up taxes. Govt can't pay for more things without taking more in and/or cutting things... like say veterans benefits, social security, medicare and medicaid.

II'm sure they hope govt workers have handled their finances wells enough that they actually have savings and won't go bankrupt if they don't work or get paid for say, 2 weeks or a month. Alternative could be they lay off a lot of workers and make the rest pick up the slack. But hey, taxing 5 cents or so on sodas is a bad idea. And millionaires can't afford to pay a few extra dozens of thousands of dollars out of their millions in net pay each year.i

Huh. This shutdown surprised me a bit (i live in France) and there is little information about this going on. Or maybe that's because i don't watch TV (no thanks, really!).

This kind of disagreements leading to tough consequences also happen in other countries. And sometimes it's only for the sake of disagreeing, we can thank today's communication based on bias and scandals for this to happen...

Maybe I'm dumb but sometimes i think we should send back some rationality to politics.. And people believing that some stuff is gonna work are even worse.

Like saying hey we are reducing the amount of students per class in middleschool, but first we're gonna lay off some teachers (coz if i eat your cookies it means you can eat more, right? *nomnomnom* RIGHT?). Then the next government: hey let's recruit tons of teachers, and oh look, imma reduce the oil price. For one month. And the oil price is like 99,3141592% tax anyway. I'm going to save 3€ and spend a total of 10€ elsewhere, but i'm happy, coz they say i gain more, durr. ><"

lol, nvm the rampant misconceptions that took root during the cold war.

lol nvm the entire basis of the system

Not to mention that the US was opposed to the idea before the turn of the 20th century.