Canonical Team for Episode 19

LunarCosmos

On 5/12/2022 at 5:00 PM, Whitelight said:

So here is another potential take of it though... our main protagonist kind of shifts and morphs their morals, ideals, and strategies to face the many hurdles on the adventure. For example, we work for the police force during the tangrowth pulse portion of the game, but also end up joining a gang and then flipping BACK to help pay to restore the city... for all this I would say maybe it would be cool if the "cannon" team was equally as shape-shifty... like I'm thinking Greninja (who changes types mid battle), kecleon (who has camouflage to change to the arena typing), ditto (who morphs into the actual opponent, type null (who can change types with the memory you give it), and maybe like porygon (the download ability makes them "match" an opponent) and for the last one castform (who shifts with the weather)

I know this isn't necessarily a list that fits with the "major events" of the game, but I think it would establish you as a player as more of the wildcard and make you different enough from all the other characters in the game, as you literally ADAPT to any situation. I think it would also add a fun level of challenge since you would have a very high interaction rate with the fields and such. Just a thought but if I ever end up doing a "canon" run, that may be what I go for

Tl;Dr: make a team of shapeshifters because as a Canon, you are the most flexible character 

Hmm, what bad stuff do we actually do with the gang though? They stole back Pokemon from the old hag who bought them at the black market illegally, so the morals aren't really bad.

I feel like the character is pretty consistent throughout the game as having strong, good morals as we're ALWAYS HELPING. We never hurt anyone, not that I remember at least? The only time I can think of is the Type:Null quest.

However, I do like your idea of a playthrough with shapeshifters, that would be a lot of fun for sure.

On 5/13/2022 at 1:30 AM, Whitelight said:

I actually have sort of a rough ranking list for them.... Electric, Ice, dragon, rock, and grass are the hardest runs by far. Electric and ice are just weak types in general to carry a mono run, and the game doesn't give you any good dragon types until a bit later in the story. Grass and rock are hard because they each have 5 weaknesses. I would say the easier types to edge your way into a mono run would be fire, flying, ghost, or steel. Fire is a great offensive type and can alter a bunch of terrain to be really beneficial to your team, flying is a pairing with a huge variation of types and you can generally cover your weaknesses, ghost gives you access to things like curse which can get you out of tight spots and has 2 immunities in normal and fighting,  and steel just has a buttload of resists.

The thing I really love about mono runs is how it really shapes your game. For example, for a steel run fire types are REALLY scary because you don't have many mon that can resist it, and some of your strongest mon (scizor and ferrothorn) have a 4x weakness so they get burned to a crisp at the lightest touch of fire.... it makes for a really interesting game because people like Cal become TERRIFYING while other people like Aya become laughably easy. It makes it easy to have a headcannon about who you are as a trainer and you can choose the dialogue options that make 'sense' for you... for example on a dark run maybe you just be the biggest jerk you could possibly be and take all the 'negative' options, whereas in a fairy run maybe you take all the 'good' options. Just another of the many many amazing ways to enjoy the game!!!

Edit: got a little carried away with the post... tldr I'd start with a fire, ghost, flying, or steel those should be a LITTLE easier!

Fire is mega easy. Blaziken, Typhlosion and when you get Ninetails it just gets silly. The sheer hyper-offensive power can blast through the game so easily and with Seeds to help you through Amaria it's not even hard then, either.

Rock is the same. Lycanroc is crazy strong, Midnight or Dawn (shit I forget the name lol) blasts most things in their path.

For me, Dark was a lot of fun. Psychic was a little easy too, but was a cool playthrough. Delphox really surprised me!

A bit off-topic, I would suggest a Eevee run. Nothing but Eevee and the Eeveelutions. I did that and it was one of the best playthroughs I've done. Was so much fun. Also the Under-420 BST (Only mons at or under 420 BST allowed, Edo's idea) challenge, those 2 runs have been my favourites and I would highly recommend if you need a break from the mono-type runs!

I'm really digging your idea of shapeshifters. That sounds like a lot of fun.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Siv said:

Hmm, what bad stuff do we actually do with the gang though? They stole back Pokemon from the old hag who bought them at the black market illegally, so the morals aren't really bad.

I feel like the character is pretty consistent throughout the game as having strong, good morals as we're ALWAYS HELPING. We never hurt anyone, not that I remember at least? The only time I can think of is the Type:Null quest.

However, I do like your idea of a playthrough with shapeshifters, that would be a lot of fun for sure.

Well you are never really as "bad" as team meteor, but there are some points where you do some stuff that could be considered not really "hero" material, in the side quests especially. For example the one that comes to mind most readily is trading the 'rare candy' to the drug addict in 7th street for his pokemon. On one hand you can see it as "saving" the pokemon from a bad trainer but on the other hand you are enabling his addiction. I mean there are some other examples too sprinkled throughout the story, you can make the choice to side with El over Radomous or you can choose whether or not to fight taka in the sewers. I haven't done the right sequence yet but I know that decisions you make can actually alter the "ending" of the game, so you can definitely make "good" or "bad" choices, although I would agree that they are not necessarily EVIL choices, just morally questionable, hence the 'shapeshifting'

16 hours ago, Siv said:

Fire is mega easy. Blaziken, Typhlosion and when you get Ninetails it just gets silly. The sheer hyper-offensive power can blast through the game so easily and with Seeds to help you through Amaria it's not even hard then, either.

Rock is the same. Lycanroc is crazy strong, Midnight or Dawn (shit I forget the name lol) blasts most things in their path.

For me, Dark was a lot of fun. Psychic was a little easy too, but was a cool playthrough. Delphox really surprised me!

A bit off-topic, I would suggest a Eevee run. Nothing but Eevee and the Eeveelutions. I did that and it was one of the best playthroughs I've done. Was so much fun. Also the Under-420 BST (Only mons at or under 420 BST allowed, Edo's idea) challenge, those 2 runs have been my favourites and I would highly recommend if you need a break from the mono-type runs!

I'm really digging your idea of shapeshifters. That sounds like a lot of fun.

Yeah so far my runs have been ice, electric, dragon, and I'm currently on rock. Just trying to knock the hardest out first. I see fire and fighting being the easiest just because of blaziken... but there are some others I'm really looking forward to as well