Getting Mods to Work

Charon

How do I get mods concerning alterations to Pokemon and Moves to work? On Deso at least, if I alter the montext.rb and movetext.rb directly I have no issues, I compile the data and it all works fine. But if I put identical data with an identical filename in a Data=>Mods folder, then compiling data doesn't seem to register they exist. While I know how to alter code to some level, I'm a novice when it comes to Mods specifically, so I don't know if this is an issue with what I'm naming things, some scripts that need to be altered, or even if it's something Desolation-specific or if I'd face this issue with anything based on Pokemon Essentials. Help?

Which files exactly are you putting in the Mods folder? The montext.rb, movetext.rb, etc. files need to replace the original files in the Scripts folder, because the compiler will always look for them in those locations. The compiled files (mons.dat, moves.dat, etc.) also need to replace the original files in the Data folder because that's where the engine looks for them when running the game. The Mods folder is only for scripts that add/modify code.

2 hours ago, Karvanha said:

Which files exactly are you putting in the Mods folder? The montext.rb, movetext.rb, etc. files need to replace the original files in the Scripts folder, because the compiler will always look for them in those locations. The compiled files (mons.dat, moves.dat, etc.) also need to replace the original files in the Data folder because that's where the engine looks for them when running the game. The Mods folder is only for scripts that add/modify code.

What I put in the Mods folder is just literal copies of the montext.rb and movetext.rb files, with the names changed and contents altered, and I wasn't sure if they weren't doing anything because I was doing something wrong or they just didn't go there. If I alter/replace the ones in the Scripts folder then I have no issues as long as I don't make any coding errors (aside from a "form 2 missing graphic" error when I hover over an altered Pokemon in the dex, but that only affects some of them for reasons I'm not sure of and only freezes the game if I select the entry). I was just pretty sure it was possible to add additional forms and stuff through the Mods folder since I thought I remembered seeing that before. If I'm getting things mixed up and that's not actually possible then oh well, I'll just have to keep doing things the more direct way.

Yes, adding forms was possible by only modifying the MultipleForms.rb script in the old codebase, but now you also need to edit montext.rb and compile it. (As you might have noticed, montext.rb also contains data for all forms.)

So I think if you edit both of those, you should have no issues. You can put the edited MultipleForms.rb in the Mods folder, but mons.dat will have to be replaced still.

5 hours ago, Karvanha said:

Yes, adding forms was possible by only modifying the MultipleForms.rb script in the old codebase, but now you also need to edit montext.rb and compile it. (As you might have noticed, montext.rb also contains data for all forms.)

So I think if you edit both of those, you should have no issues. You can put the edited MultipleForms.rb in the Mods folder, but mons.dat will have to be replaced still.

Hm, I'll probably just stick to editing montext and movetext directly while keeping backups then, keeps things simple, if time-consuming on the front-end. Still not sure what's up with the the form 2 missing graphic Pokedex error only popping up for some but not others when I didn't do anything differently between them, but it's not gamebreaking and doesn't crash if I'm not stupid so I can deal with it.