Alakazam

Bullet

To submit a set for this Pokémon, please Copy and Paste the following code into a new reply and fill it out accordingly. Please post only set per reply.
[quote][Set Name]
[Species Name] (M/F) @ [Hold Item]
Trait: [Ability]
EVs: [EVs]
[Nature] Nature
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

[Description of Set][/quote]
Please note that the format for the set's details matches that produced by Pokemon Online's Export Button, so feel free to copy/paste sets directly from your teams, with your own description provided.

• Administrators
Brain over Brawn
Alakazam (M) @ Life Orb / Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Energy Ball / Charge Beam / Encore
- Shadow Ball

I have a thing for unresisted sets, and this is no exception. The real selling point of this set is Magic Guard + Life Orb. Alakazam's already got 369 Sp. Atk and 372 speed, now throw in the Life Orb for an extra 30% damage... But Magic Guard will block the recoil, giving you all of the power, for none of the drawbacks. Magic Guard alone is a great ability as well, though it was overlooked in the past because about all that had it was Clefable. It makes this a great counter to Pokemon like Erufuun who rely on SubSeeding you to death. No Stealth Rock damage, no weather damage, no... anything damage. Unfortunate Burn? No big deal! Toxic Spikes? Oh well~

---

Hey Ikaru, I run a badass Zam set too but it's too much like yours so I'm just going to put in my optional changes and show you my reasoning behind them. First, we have the option of running Charge Beam over Energy Ball. It's an electric move that Zam appreciates even further because of his awful lack of Thunderbolt that can potentially raise your Special Attack and let you sweep. Fighting/Ghost alone is unresisted anyway so the loss of Energy Ball isn't too bad. Mael's suggestion, Encore, seems like another viable tactic as it can ruin common Pokemon that try to through status and the like over your entire team, such as Ferrothorn (Nattorei). And now for my other change, running a Sash on Zam over a Life Orb. Because Alakazam is probably one of the most physically frail Pokemon in the game, and also because he doesn't take damage from status/entry hazards/weather, a Sash lets him take a hit and 2HKO the things that he can't take down in one hit. A Sash is most recommended if you're running Charge Beam, because at +1 Alakazam appreciates being able to live through things like priority or scarfed Pokes over even more power.

~N8theGr8

That's pretty much my Alakazam set now, except I use Encore instead of energy ball.

Encore is the surprise kazaam tactic that will F up some pokemon/teams. Gonna buff up? Go ahead. I'll keep slapping your face in (unless it's calm mind or amnesia). WoW, Toxic? pfft. keep dancing, and subbing, and laying useless traps, and protecting/detecting or leech seeding or breaking your shells for me. Your nasty plot is failing you now! Bwahahahaha!

• 10 months later...
Alakazam (M) @ (No Item)
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Substitute

Gen 1's resident beast. Psychic being his main STAB. T-Wave cripples other sweepers. Recover heals off of the damage from substitute.

• 2 weeks later...
Alakazam (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 255 SAtk / 255 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast

ok literally, the only difference in this set than ikaru's is calm mind. the strategy is a little different though. for this say youve got a toxic staller/ ferrothorn, like stated in ikaru's set, they cant affect you because of magic guard. so you switch into these opponents and make there moves usless. what else would your oopnent do but switch. so here is your chance to get a calm mind in. this give you a boosted sp attack which is very good because of desicion to max speed. plus you get somoe more sp def to hel the frailness of your zam and make it take at least one sp attack hit.