Poliwrath

Bullet

To submit a set for this Pokémon, please Copy and Paste the following code into a new reply and fill it out accordingly. Please post only set per reply.
[quote][Set Name]
[Species Name] (M/F) @ [Hold Item]
Trait: [Ability]
EVs: [EVs]
[Nature] Nature
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

[Description of Set][/quote]
Please note that the format for the set's details matches that produced by Pokemon Online's Export Button, so feel free to copy/paste sets directly from your teams, with your own description provided.

• 11 months later...
[Sub, Punch, ???, Profit]
[Poliwrath] (M/F) @ [Leftovers]
Trait: [Water Absorb]
EVs: [252 Atk/252 HP/4 Speed]
[Nature] Adamant
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Waterfall/Ice Punch/Encore/Bulk Up
- Waterfall/Ice Punch/Encore/Bulk Up

[You've got some options here. The namsakes of the set, Substitute and Focus Punch, are the central moves. Beyond that, Waterfall is a powerful STAB with good neutral coverage, while Ice Punch is weaker but has better super effective coverage. Encore is a fantastic move that can let you set up; however to use it efficiently you may have to sacrifice power or bulkyness EVs for some Speed. Finally, Bulk Up is an interesting option, however it is situational to such walls that rely on status to cripple you. I can't really say much about how to use the set; use Substitute to block a status move is ideal. Just beware of such moves like Encore that go through Sub.]

• 1 year later...
Judo-Wrath

Poliwrath (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 176 HP / 80 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk) / Sassy Nature (+SDef, Spd)
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Circle Throw / Brick Break
- Payback / Waterfall

Poliwrath puts the "Bulk" in "Sub Bulk Up". Here's a set that plays to said advantage. Substitute will be your best friend here, to avoid wayward status. Bulk Up works to improve not only attack power but Poliwrath's weaker Defense, more or less assuring it no longer gets OHKOed. Then it's time to start throwing attacks and Pokemon around. Circle Throw gets that thing out of your sight, doing some crazy damage in the process. The last attack depends on how much you fear Frillish and co.. If you answered yes to this question, use Payback. If you answered no, use Waterfall.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, first off I'd like to state this set is for Double Battles. So, I'll be posting the ally pokémon's set along side it. If that's okay? I really hope so, if not I can simply remove the post and act like it never happened. I'm warning this and posting it because I saw no rules about it in the rules section.

[Brawn and Barriers]

Brawn (Poliwrath) (M/F) @ Damp Rock

Trait: Swift Swim

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Def / 40 SDef / 172 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Waterfall

- Rain Dance

- Brick Break

- Refresh

Brick (Mr. Mime) (M/F) @ Expert Belt

Trait: Technician

EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 Spd

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)

- Trick

- DoubleSlap

- Reflect

- Light Screen

Alright, so this combo is named for Mr. Mime's Buffs and Poliwrath's raw power. Basically you throw out Rain Dance, which has its duration buffed by Damp Rock. It's job is to obviously Buff Poliwrath's Speed and give a nice boost to Waterfall with a power of 128 accompanied by Expert Belt w/o the bonus it would get from STAB.

You follow up with Mr. Mime throwing out Reflect and Light Screen, typically Light Screen first due to Poliwrath's slightly lower Sp. Def. You would then proceed to unleash Poliwrath's fury upon your foe. Use refresh should Poliwrath become Burned, Poisoned, or Paralyzed.

Now, why is Mr. Mime holding an Expert Belt you may ask? I'm sure you've noticed it also knows Trick. Throw out Trick and swap Expert Belt with Damp Rock to give Poliwrath even more of an edge and you can simply swap back should you need to throw Rain Dance out again. Not to mention it has other applications such as stealing an opponents item and replacing it with a (to them) worthless Damp Rock. The object is to turn Poliwrath in to a fast, powerful Physical Damager with Mr. Mime pulling the right strings to ensure he survives.

Waterfall should of course be your primary offense with Poliwrath, however he also utilizes Brick Break due to its nice power and the ability to rip through opposing Screens and Reflects. Not to mention, the added STAB is another wonderful bonus and will help keep those pesky Dark Types off of Mr. Mime.

Of course Mr. Mime runs Technician Doubleslap to help throw in a little extra damage, or otherwise annoy your opponent while giving it something to do outside of buffs. Though, its primary objective is to keep Poliwrath's defenses up so he can keep slapping the opponent around.

All in all this is a nice little combo that has served me well.

Edited by Nutcase