Gengar

Bullet

To submit a set for this Pokémon, please Copy and Paste the following code into a new reply and fill it out accordingly. Please post only set per reply.
[quote][Set Name]
[Species Name] (M/F) @ [Hold Item]
Trait: [Ability]
EVs: [EVs]
[Nature] Nature
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

[Description of Set][/quote]
Please note that the format for the set's details matches that produced by Pokemon Online's Export Button, so feel free to copy/paste sets directly from your teams, with your own description provided.

Mael's Gengar

Gengar (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Confuse Ray/ Hypnosis
- Destiny Bond

I sometimes put focus sash on it for use against faster/beef up opponents, to make sure destiny bond takes out their pest. Pretty standard, thunderbolt is just great with gengar's spc attack, and used to help cover my teams' terribleness against water types. Confuse Ray is a bit of a gamble, but it's great if you suspect a sucker punch.

• 3 months later...
Choice of the Dead
Gengar @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Modest/Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]/Destiny Bond/Psychic

Enter Choice Gengar. A fantastic Choice Pokémon thanks to its 3 immunities. Shadow Ball is obvious STAB. Focus Blast hits Steels and Tyranitar, which Gengar, like all Ghosts, hates more than anything. Thunderbolt hits Water types, especially Gyarados. Hidden Power [Ice] can decimate Dragons, but Destiny Bond could potentially let Gengar take a Poke with him to the grave. Psychic is another option as it hits Fighting types, specifically Conkel[b]DURR.[/b] The choice of item and nature is simply speed vs. power, and what Gengar specifically needs to do for his team.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mafia
Trollgar

Gengar (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk) / Modest Nature (+Spa, -Atk)
- Pain Split
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast / Disable

Being a Extremely good wall-breaker with this set it will frustrate your opponent to the point of quitting. After a pain split on a blissey it will force her to recover or die to focus blast. With soft boil only having 16 pp and pain split having 32 you will easily out stall your opponent and kill the fat nerd.If you op for disable over focus blast his roll greatly changes to a annoy-er. An example of such is subbing on garchomp's dragon claw then disabling it on the next move making the generic garchomp set unable to hit you and forced to switch give you a free sub/pain split/shadow ball shot.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Maelstrom' timestamp='1296702089' post='10268']
Mael's Gengar

EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Confuse Ray/ Hypnosis
- Destiny Bond

I sometimes put focus sash on it for use against faster/beef up opponents, to make sure destiny bond takes out their pest. Pretty standard, thunderbolt is just great with gengar's spc attack, and used to help cover my teams' terribleness against water types. Confuse Ray is a bit of a gamble, but it's great if you suspect a sucker punch.
[/quote]
With that, you can use Focus Blast instead of the Status inflicting moves, however you're running a big risk, as Focus Blast tends to miss alot too. I also put down a Life Orb to make Gengar a late/early game sweeper.

• 6 months later...
Hey look another Gen 1 set from Erick

Gengar (M) @ (No Item)
- Hypnosis
- Confuse Ray
- Dream Eater
- Substitute

The only thing Gengar was good for back then, since ghost was [u][b][i]physical.[/i][/b][/u] Hypnosis puts bitches to sleep. Confuse Ray messes with whatever they're trying to do. Dream Eater capitalizes on the sleep, and substitute for walling.

• 2 weeks later...
Mczipo's Gengar
Gengar F @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Icy Wind
- Energy Ball

This Gengar set i use as my lead. Usually i can judge what im up against and tell whether I'm faster or not. If not i use an icy wind to lower its speed usually making me faster. Although it is weak to some other leads like tyranitar for instance, if the focus blast hits it usually does about 75% damage or so.

Hemlock's Gengar

- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Back when I was Hemlock for ML, I tried tons of different sets for my limited arsenal of poison pokemon.
I LOOOOOOVED this one (:
Considering the fact that unboosted and unscarfed, you will be outspeeding practically everything, substitute is a great stall/turn of testing your opponent's next move, sort of like protect, except that it's actually useful if they choose not to attack. Always substitute first. Combined with black sludge, I usually can get 5-6 substitutes in while the enemy is whittled away by the poison from my toxic spikes. And then, once you CAN finish them, BAM, GUESS WHO HAS 130 BASE SPECIAL ATTACK?
Shadow Ball/HP Fire/Thunderbolt offer excellent coverage, and you don't have to worry about missing. Happy hunting <3

A Gen II set for gengar, that was only really afraid of Karen. It was designed to take down that bastard snorlax of Red's :P

---

Gengar (F) @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Hypnosis
- Dream Eater
- Curse

---

Probably an extremely old form of trollgar XD

• 1 year later...
Rejected

Gengar (M) @ Gengarite
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Perish Song
- Substitute
- Protect / Embargo

Pimp-slap stall teams with the purple power: Mega Gengar. In a meta where stall is very present, this pimp can slap any staller or walls that look to make your day miserable. Let's see Tenshi try to grind this Pokemon down...
Anyway, the main thing to this set is Perish Song and Shadow Tag. They synergizes perfectly, preventing Pokemon from switching as they are forced to await inevitable doom. Once that's done, it's time to wait out. You can do this by setting up a Substitute and laughing as the helpless little things desperately scramble before they fall. Shadow Ball can help move that process along. Protect combined with Substitute is an almost-guaranteed survival of their pathetic efforts to kill you, but Embargo is hilarious since it nullifies Shed Shell.
Lastly, this set, as with all frail stallers, does best with Wish support since the opponent hitting back is inevitable, and that move helps your vicious cycle continue.

Priority always has been and always will be Gengar's weakness. But with Gengar's speed those Pokemon that DON'T have priority are the best targets. As with every technique, you can't go blindly perish trapping random Pokemon since you'll get ruined by Taunt.

• 3 weeks later...

Old-Fashioned Status Support
EVs: 162 HP/158 Sp. Atk/192 Spd
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt

Just enough Speed Evs to get over those 102 base Speed monsters like Garchomp and slap a Will-O-Wisp or Hypnosis on them. Shadow Ball is for Stab and Thunderbolt for coverage. Hp Evs are for longevity and there are enough Evs in Sp. Atk for considerable damage. Overall, it's probably best as a spinblocker/Earthquake taker who can retaliate with a status or damage.

Deja Vu (Exo's Gengar)

Gengar (M) @ Gengarite

- Shadow Ball

- Sludge Bomb

- Disable

-Destiny Bond

Y'know, Banded Azumarill, Swords Dance Mega Lucario, and other threats are a pain to deal with. As they can easily KO gengar, two moves can severely affect them. The first move is Destiny Bond. If you know you have safe no switch in to a hazardous Pokemon, you might want to sacrifice Gengar. Yet with blistering speed after Mega Evolution, Gengar can quickly use Destiny Bond and faint; taking it's foe with it. The second is Disable, which is makes Mega Gengar seem omnipotent compared to choice item users, Lets say for example...Specs Keldeo. Since Mega Gengar outspeeds Keldeo, it'll use Disable to take the opponent's locked move and replace it with struggle; something ghost types like Gengar aren't affected by. Feel free to spam Sludge Bomb and Shadow Ball, STAB moves that aid you in some cases. The EV spread was pretty standard, since I want Gengar to hit hard and use Disable/Destiny Knot quickly.