Reborn v19.5 - Superpower Mod v1.2

This mod is for Reborn v19.5, make sure you're on version v19.5 before saying it isn't working. If you don't have a "patch" folder in your Pokemon Reborn directory, you are on v19.0 or earlier.

The most recent version of Pokemon Reborn that this has been tested on is Reborn v19.5.0rc32.

What is this mod?

This mod add superpowers, both for the player and NPCs.

Major NPCs are given specific powers, while random NPCs are given random powers.

Additionally, powers start locked. While there is an NPC to unlock all of them at will, if you prefer, you can unlock them by defeating trainers in a new map called the "Super Gauntlet". This new map can be found in the Grand Hall by talking to the person that looks like Red from Fire Red and Leaf Green.

These trainers all have powers. Some of these powers can only be found amongst these trainers, since they're either too powerful for normal play or their powers are just done through team building.

You can get your own powers from the NPC that looks like Leaf, also found in the Grand Hall. Leaf also offers explanations for all the powers.

What powers are there?

There are 13 player powers and 21 NPC powers.

Player Powers

• Biokinesis - Ups the maximum amount of EVs a Pokemon can have to 640, though individual EVs can still only go up to 252. Additionally, IVs can go up to 32. Finally, in-battle, your Pokemon heal 1/16 of their health per turn.
  • Horder - Acts as if all Pokemon in your party have the ability "Pickup".
  • Atmospherokinesis - Allows you to change the weather at will. Only activates at the end of the following turn.
  • Gimmick - You can Mega Evolve any number of Pokemon per battle, though only one per turn. You can use Z-Moves once per switch-in.
  • Trick - Trickroom is activated at the start of battle.
  • Free Healthcare - All your current Pokemon's status effects are cured before the end of the turn.
  • Deus Ex Machina - Your Pokemon have a plus to their Crit Rate, equal to and stacking with Super Luck. This includes the effects of Super Luck that occur out of battle.
  • Play to Your Strengths - Your Pokemon's base Physical and Special Attack stat are set equal to whichever is larger. This applies after EVs and nature, but before everything else. This only applies in-battle.
  • Curses - Your Pokemons' moves have a plus to the chance of secondary effects occurring, equal to and stacking with Serene Grace.
  • Supervision - Your Pokemon has a boost to accuracy equal to and stacking with Compound Eyes. This includes the effects of Compound Eyes that occur out of battle.
  • Early Evolution - Your Pokemon evolve at level-up. Which of their possible evolutions they evolve into is random, and can include evolutions they normally don't qualify for, such as allow Male Vespiquens, a level 3 Tyranitar, or an Alakazam without a Link Stone.
  • Hazardous - A random hazard is placed on the opposing team's side during the first turn.
  • Free Spirit - Tailwind is activated for your side at the start of battle.

NPC Powers

• Biokinesis - Ups the maximum amount of EVs a Pokemon can have to 640, though individual EVs can still only go up to 252. Additionally, IVs can go up to 32. Finally, in-battle, their Pokemon heal 1/16 of their health per turn.
  • Atmospherokinesis - The weather automatically changes depending on their Pokemon, its typing, ability, and moves.
  • Gimmick - All of their Pokemon start Mega Evolved. (Note: This is just team-building, so at the moment you'll only find it in the "Super Gauntlet")
  • Trick - Trickroom is activated at the start of battle.
  • Free Healthcare - All their current Pokemon's status effects are cured before the end of the turn.
  • Deus Ex Machina - Their Pokemon have a plus to their Crit Rate, equal to and stacking with Super Luck.
  • Play to Your Strengths - Their Pokemon's base Physical and Special Attack stat are set equal to whichever is larger. This applies after EVs and nature, but before everything else.
  • Curses - Their Pokemons' moves have a plus to the chance of secondary effects occurring, equal to and stacking with Serene Grace.
  • Supervision - Their Pokemon has a boost to accuracy equal to and stacking with Compound Eyes.
  • Early Evolution - Their team can include Pokemon with illegal and early evolutions. (Note: This is just team-building, so at the moment you'll only find it in the "Super Gauntlet")
  • Hazardous - A random hazard is placed on your team's side during the first turn.
  • Free Spirit - Tailwind is activated for their side at the start of battle.
  • Defense is the Best Offense - Their Pokemon's base Physical and Special Defense stats are set equal to whichever is larger. This applies after EVs and nature, but before everything else.
  • Healthy Speed - Their Pokemon's base Speed is set to whatever their current HP is.
  • Facsimile - They have 12 Pokemon split into two teams used by famous/powerful trainers from the official games, Reborn, Rejuvenation, and/or Desolation. (Note: This is just team-building, so at the moment you'll only find it in the "Super Gauntlet")
  • Illegal Moves - Their Pokemon can have moves they normally cannot learn. (Note: This is just team-building, so at the moment you'll only find it in the "Super Gauntlet")
  • Illegal Abilities - Their Pokemon can have abilities they normally cannot have. (Note: This is just team-building, so at the moment you'll only find it in the "Super Gauntlet")
  • Inverse - The battle starts on an Inverse field. (Note: This is just part of having an NPC set the field before battle, so at the moment you'll only find it in the "Super Gauntlet")
  • Pulse - Their Pokemon have 252 EVs in all stats, unless they have Trick Room IVs, then they have 252 EVs in all stats except speed.
  • Perish - Perish Song is activated whenever they switch a Pokemon in. At the moment there is an error when they are defeated, but you can just press enter and it'll go away. But, because of this error, it can currently only be found in the "Super Gauntlet", and it's skippable if you're actually wanting to unlock all the powers.
  • Healer - Their Pokemon are restored to full HP at the end of each turn. Status effects are not healed. Because this is so tough, you can only find this in the "Super Gauntlet" at the moment, and the team is purposely made for this to be possible.

Resources

This Google Sheet includes some useful information. It includes more of the specifics on unlocking stuff, and how useful I think certain powers are: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZghPXtHcWPMqe2l3o1A8OFoE0Em4h_LCkwIouU8xfBw/edit?usp=sharing

Battle Information: The ZIP file includes Superpower Battle Guide.txt, which includes the teams of all the trainers in the Super Gauntlet, as well as the powers of all major characters in the vanilla game.

Installation

Just put the zip in your Pokemon Reborn directory and unzip it. It should merge with the patch directory. If it creates a folder named after the zip file, just drag and drop the contents into your Pokemon Reborn directory.

Compatability

I designed the mod to be compatible with Alemi's Party Command mod (Credit to Alemi for like 99% of the Superpowers_Party_Command_MasterMod.rb file, considering I just made slight edits to her mod with the same name minus the Superpowers_ part), but I didn't design the mod with any other mod compatibility in mind. It is not compatible with my mods that merge, fuse, or replace stats with each other, nor is it compatible with my Smart Trainer Optimization mod (though I plan on making a version of that for this mod).

In theory, it should be compatible with most (if not all) mods that don't effect battle.

Also, this mod could break with updates of Reborn v19.5. The chance is largely diminished with this update of the Superpower mod over the previous ones, but it's still plausible this will break at some point.

Feedback

I would love feedback. Please either put it in the comments below or in Discord. This mod has a thread found on the Reborn Evolved server's #Reborn-Mods chat, found here: https://discord.com/channels/112443923003084800/1255747136700813322

Join the Development Team

If you're interested you can message me here or on Discord. If you have any coding or Spriting experience I'd be happy for some help. I'll have to set up Github stuff, so you won't be able to join immediately, but if anyone is interested in joining, I'll start setting that up ASAP.

Story

If the mod is popular enough I plan on either making an expansion for Reborn, Rejuvenation, or Desolation with story based around superpower stuff, or just straight up making a fangame.

TLDR; You get superpowers. NPCs get superpowers. You can switch powers by talking to Leaf in the Grand Hall. You can unlock powers by battling trainers in a place that Red, also in the Grand Hall, will bring you.

Changelog v1.0 -> v1.1

• Removed glitch where you couldn't start a new game with the mod.
  • If they didn't before, random trainers now have random powers.
  • The trainer with random powers in the Super Gauntlet now actually gets random powers.

Changelog v1.1 -> v1.2

• Fixed glitch where Cain battle at start of the game would cause crash. Note: This makes this Cain, and another other NPC that would crash because of this glitch, use the best AI. This isn't a big deal though, from my understanding AI is mostly equal for all NPCs in Reborn

This will not work for Rejuvenation and Desolation.

Google Drive Download: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1fQDe6O8fgnZ3C1bWK20SnBhF5PCM5aoB?usp=drive_link

Google Drive Direct ZIP Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/18P35t4f7lLFRGKxWIt5AygD9NHwirqb8/view?usp=drive_link

Google Drive Superpower Mod Battle Guide Direct Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ynxt4fUgSO7-cJuwJCOegCyZCzeEAtBB/view?usp=drive_link

Edited by PixelMods
Edited title to match current version
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, elixirmaster said:

Horder is cool. Makes my inner loot goblin very happy. Is there a way to make it trigger regardless of a pokémon's hold item as well?

Did you mean for normal pickup? Because, unless fixing the small indentation error I noticed changed something, horder seems to be working even when all members of my party are holding items. And I don't think Ruby (the language Pokemon Essentials and Reborn are coded in) cares about formatting, formatting is just there for human readability.

Either way, Horder works even if all your Pokemon have items in the most recent version of the mod.

Edited by PixelMods
Fixed ambiguous wording implying I fixed pickup and not horder
  • Hmm 1

Changelog:
- Added NPC AI for powers that needed it
- Nerfed Atmospherokinesis so I didn't need to implement AI for it. Now it activates at the end of the upcoming turn.

I'll be updating the original post momentarily

Progress update:

I've coded in powers for the NPCs, including ones that the player doesn't have access to. Some of these aren't actually programmed-in powers, but just team-building stuff, like giving NPCs Pokemon with illegal abilities or moves, or making all their Pokemon mega evolved from the get-go. I've also done the AI for the powers that need them.

I made a map (aka copied the Nightclub) and put an NPC there for all the AI powers, along with a battle which has a random power each battle.

I am currently in the process of making an optional unlock system. 

Random NPCs, including bosses, will have random powers, though none of the upper-level powers like Atmospherokinesis.

I think I'll be releasing this next version sometime early next week

This is a tier-list I made for the NPC powers, which includes the NPC power names

image.thumb.png.f8268e983254e91c4f29690afa98a245.png

I'll explain those that are different to their player-counterpart, or for which the player doesn't have a counterpart

1. Atmospherokinesis: Weather changes automatically based on things like their Pokemon's type, moveset, and abilities.

2. Gimmick: Not programmed in, I just give these NPCs teams full of pre-Mega Evolved Pokemon
3. Healer: Their Pokemon is restored to max HP at the end of each turn. Doesn't heal status effects.

4. Illegal Abilities: They can have illegal abilities
5. Illegal Moves: They can have illegal moves

6. Pulse: Their Pokemon are PULSE Pokemon, having max EVs in all stats, except for if they're trick room Pokemon

7. Defense is the Best Offense: Defensive stats are set to the higher of the two, so Aggron and Chansey for example would both have absurd defense and special defense

8. Perish: Perish Song activates whenever they switch a Pokemon in

9. Healthy Speed: Base speed equals current HP. Updates whenever the Pokemon takes damage.

10. Facsimile: No actual power, just a 6v12 against two notable characters from the mainline games, Reborn, Rejuvenation, or Desolation. Can include legendaries.

11. Inverse: Just a normal inverse field battle

12. Powerless: Level set to 15 above the level cap

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten to the point where I'm preparing to release the mod.

I'm running into some issues (The mode broke when I tried to get it onto a fresh install of the game) but I had the foresight to keep a backup from before I made a bunch of edits today, so hopefully I'll be able to release the first full version of this mod within a day or two.

Fixed a major glitch, which happened to fix at least one other thing

Changelog v1.0 -> v1.1

• Removed glitch where you couldn't start a new game with the mod.
  • If they didn't before, random trainers now have random powers.
  • The trainer with random powers in the Super Gauntlet now actually gets random powers.

Fixed another major glitch

Changelog v1.1 -> v1.2

• Fixed glitch where Cain battle at start of the game would cause crash. Note: This makes this Cain, and another other NPC that would crash because of this glitch, use the best AI. This isn't a big deal though, from my understanding AI is mostly equal for all NPCs in Reborn