Gyarados

Bullet

To submit a set for this Pokémon, please Copy and Paste the following code into a new reply and fill it out accordingly. Please post only set per reply.
[quote][Set Name]
[Species Name] (M/F) @ [Hold Item]
Trait: [Ability]
EVs: [EVs]
[Nature] Nature
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

[Description of Set][/quote]
Please note that the format for the set's details matches that produced by Pokemon Online's Export Button, so feel free to copy/paste sets directly from your teams, with your own description provided.

• 1 month later...
[Dragon Dance]
[Gyarados] (M/F) @ [Leftovers/Life Orb]
Trait: [Earthquake Spiral]
EVs: [252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 HP]
[Nature] Jolly
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

[Ah Gyarados, the dragon dancer that's not even a Dragon, that we've known and loved since Gen 1, truly having grown since then. If you look at hte moveset, you'll see little deviation from last generation's Dragon Dancing set, except for one crucial thing. That is the Dream World ability Earthquake Spiral/Moxie that GameFreak has bestowed upon our serpentine friend via the Dream World. For those who don't know what this godsend does, it raises your attack stat by 1 every time you KO a Pokémon. Yup, you heard me right. Your opponent will find it hard to fodder a Pokémon in order to get a safe switch in to a tank, as every sacrificial lamb turns your beast into a more deadly juggernaut. With this new source of Attack gain, Adamant is a rather poor choice of a nature, thus Jolly is utilized so we can outspeed base 130s with one Dragon Dance. Life Orb and Leftovers is the other decision, Leftovers is preferred to stymie your Stealth Rock weakness, though if you desparately want power, Life Orb is a viable option. ]

Bullet, y u dance and EQ Spiral?

[Dragon Dance]
Gyarados (M) @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang/Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance

I'm a little lazy, so forgive me for the short description. Wacan Berry halves the Electric type attacks that people just LOVE to use on Gyarados, so it allows you to get at least 1 dance in. Waterfall for STAB, Ice Fang to deal with Dragon and Flying types, Avalanche if you don't like to miss. Earthquake for Electric types.

Ok, so I'll ignore the fact that you're using an Ice move over Stone Edge, and that you're using Wacan which is quite situational. Also, you've neglected the amazing force of Moxie. And you're using Adamant.....
But why for the love of god are you considering Avalanche? The whole point of a Dragon Dancer is to boost speed and attack. Why would you ever use a negative priority move? If you're going to be gimmicky and use an ice move, Ice Fang is your only real option.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Ice fang is better than stone edge. If only cuz all the ground/drgns and fly/dragons and killing fungi. Gyarados could easily substitute for my Feraligatr, especially on those EQ's or Surfs trying to find my torkoal.

• 8 months later...
I'm surprised I didn't post this long ago....

[ResTalk]
[Gyarados] (M/F) @ [Leftovers]
Trait: [Intimidate]
EVs: [248 HP/252 Def/8 Speed]
[Nature] Impish
- Waterfall
- Dragon Tail
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

[I'll keep it short and sweet. This thing is really fucking broken. Like, probably my favorite stall Pokemon. And that's saying a lot for anyone who knows me. Anyways, yeah. Set up some hazards and let it rip. Waterfall is sadly quite weak, but gets the job done. Dragon Tail can be substituted by Roar; judge how vulnerable your team is to sweep by X pokemon with sub. ResTalk is the crux of the set, giving you amazing healing with your bulkiness and the continous phazing and poking to just be the biggest fucking annoyance known to man. Actually, I don't even remember what EVs I used for this thing, but I assume it's what you see hear. I almost mis sbattling for this thing. Almost.]

• 1 month later...
Gyarados (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang

To start of gyarados has a focus sash to protecth him form fast electric types (majority are faster than him/her) such as jolteon and electrode. With this item is buys you a second turn assuming there is no priority 1 moves. Once you survive dragon dance will have already boosted you. Technically all your moves are OHKO at this point. Earthquake can take out a troublesome electric types. And when that happens your attack will boot because of moxie. With waterfall you can be rid of other pokemon with a chance of flinching, which can help against stallers. This can ruin a lot of game plans. Ice Fang is all a deadly arsenal at your finger tips. I will most likely kill opposing pokemon effective and super effective then to get a flinch or freeze if it dose not is just icing on the cake. This move set is definitely for a Physical Sweeping Gyarados! Edited by The Rock

• 2 weeks later...
Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 255 HP / 128 Def / 124 SDef
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

This set kinda depends on how good you are at predicting, but it can be deadly as it creates a bulky sweeper. DD would make gyarados faster than most things (unboosted), and the defence EVs make him bulkier than you would think. unless it's an electric attack, but honestly, who'd leave him in for one of those, even with the wacan berry, it's still gonna hurt. Lefties for recovery. Earthquake and waterfall, provide good coverage (and waterfall has a chance of flinching), and bounce because it has a 30% chance of paralyzing the opponent, making his lack of speed EVs null and void and it gets STAB, so it's gonna do a fair amount of damage even if the opponent switches. Like i said, it depends on your prediction skills, but because it has bulk, healing (albeit small) and moxie, it can get more and more dangerous, having potential to sweep entire teams.it also has resistances to priorities like mach punch and bullet punch(all too common). you could replace the lefties, for a Salac berry, but this only activates when your one low health anyway. the main reason i like it, is because it has a few things which arent seen on your normal gyarados. Edited by Damascus

welp, I might as well toss a couple of thoughts this way, especially because atm this thread lacks what I consider to be the most pragmatic (and effective) Gyarados in the current metagame.
[Substitute+Dragon Dance]
[Gyarados] (M/F) @ [Leftovers]
Trait: [Intimidate]
EVs: [216 Attack, 204 Speed, 88 HP]
[Nature] Adamant
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Bounce / Stone Edge

[In a metagame dominated by fast-paced Volt-Turn teams and hard-hitting juggernauts such as Dragonite and Terrakion, one would hardly imagine it possible to successfully pilot a more conservative sweep. However, Gyarados is able to accomplish just that with a combination of natural bulk (backed by Intimidate), excellent typing, and the simple use of the move Substitute. As opposed to more offensive sets, this set aims to set up slowly, allowing it more opportunities to set up. Substitute is the crux of this set, allowing Gyarados to avoid pesky status ailments, in addition to keeping him safe from the likes of Rotom-W or Choice Scarf Terrakion, of whom would otherwise stop his sweep cold. Waterfall serves as Gyarados' primary STAB, offering excellent neutral coverage as a whole. Bounce, while often being shunned for it's unbecoming 2-turn nature, is actually an excellent option for Gyarados, not only offering a STAB coverage move that allows him to hit the entire tier bar Rotom-W for neutral damage or better, but also in allowing him a slight amount of extra Leftovers recovery. However, if you fear the primary turn of Bounce being taken advantage of, Stone Edge also offers excellent neutral coverage in tandem with Waterfall, as well destroying Dragon-types such as Dragonite and Salamence who try to weather Gyarados' attacks.]

Although nobody asked my opinion, I shall give it anyway:
-Adamant > Jolly on Offensive Dragon Dancer sets. As is he is already trolling Base 80's, all of whom almost never run a +Speed Nature (the only common one I know being Mono-Attacker Dragonite, which is by no means his most common set), there is no real need to look into that aspect. Naturally speaking, Base 130's (being Jolteon, Aerodactyl, and Crobat) are all so rarely seen that's ridiculous, and shouldn't at all be considered in a primary slash. When you get right down to it, the only reasons one would wish to run Jolly over Adamant are A.To outpace +Speed Nature Base 70's (looking mainly at Breloom/Politoed, though Magneton does have niche use), or B.To get the drop on Neutral Natured Rotom-A (who can, in fact, run Timid to counteract either way). I'm not saying Jolly shouldn't be mentioned, i would just consider it second slash material.
-As far as 2nd move coverage is concerned, as this seems to be in heated debate, it really is more along the lines of this: Bounce (STAB, best bet against bulkier Grass-types, only notably resisted by Rotom-W, downside being the 2-turn attack issue) > Stone Edge (notable resists:Ferrothorn, Gastrodon, Keldeo, Breloom / Virizion) > Return (resisted by Ferrothorn+Jellicent, but neutral coverage isn't great in this generation) > Ice Fang (resisted by basically every Water-type) > Earthquake (resisted by most Grass-types, opposing Gyarados, Dragonite / Salamence, etc.). Do with that as you will.
-Intimidate has merit on the offensive set too, allowing him to set up on Choice-locked physical attacks, most Fighting-types, Scizor, etc. Also, Lum Berry is worth looking into for allowing him to set up on bulky Water-types relying on Scald to check him, among other uses.

Possibly to come (I'm somewhat lazy): Choice Band+Support sets

• 2 months later...
Status (Gyarados) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Dragon Tail
- Rest
- Sleep Talk/waterfall

This is used to spread thunder wave

Its like the last one only with thunder wave

Waterfall if you want for stab and flinch

Dragon tail to spread the madness

Rest/sleep talk to keep him alive

• 1 month later...
Super Phazer
Gyarados (M) @Leftovers
80 Atk, 178 Def, 252 Sp. Def
- Dragon Tail
- Bounce
- Toxic
- Scald

Super Phazer. Simple. Lead, set up Toxic, and phaze them out. Rinse and repeat. And, Scald for those pesky Steels that resist Toxic, so you can hope for a burn.