Rejuvenation Assets — A guide on usage permissions (as of V13.5)

Zumi

• Veterans

Heyo! Rejuvenation has a lot of custom assets, and we're more than happy to share them with others so they can serve as a base for other people's projects! However, not everything can be used freely. A certain amount of the custom assets were specifically made for use in Rejuvenation only, and we'd like to keep it that way. We've been getting the question quite frequently lately about what can and cannot be used for people's own projects as it's not fully clear on all fronts, so I decided to put together a comprehensive guide on the matter so you can always check what you can and cannot use!

IMPORTANT NOTE: Usage of assets in mods for Reborn and Desolation as well as mods for non-Pokémon games is fine, as long as it is used in a context that involves Rejuvenation specifically and isn't passed off as anything else. It is also fine to use the original tracks in videos as background music, as long as it's not a standalone upload of the song.

Usage of any and all assets in the game for mods made specifically for Rejuvenation is completely fine and does not need special permission.

Please credit the Rejuvenation Team if you decide to use any of our assets. Thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Field effects

Fully free to copy and use.

Audio/Music

LIMITED USE:
The following tracks are not allowed to be used in other fangames:

Spoiler

• Bad Mood (The system binds us) — Axiom Waltz (Rain) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Bad Mood (The system binds us Part 2) — Axiom Waltz (Storm) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Battle - Ana's Lament by GlitchxCity
  • Battle - Angie by GlitchxCity
  • Battle - Boss — Vs! Boss (Xenogene) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Battle - Dimensional Rift by GlitchxCity
  • Battle - Flora — Vs! Splicer Admin by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Battle - Gyms by GlitchxCity
  • Battle - Lonely Moon — Crescent Battle by GlitchxCity
  • Battle - Lucile — Vs! Gym Leader (Xenogene) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Battle - Machine — Vs! Team Splicer (Xenogene) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Battle - Master of Nightmares by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Battle - Master of Nightmares (Chiptune) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Battle - Monstrosity — Vs! Monstrosity 2023 (Xenogene) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Battle - Mysterious Figures by GlitchxCity
  • Battle - Protector of Aevium by GlitchxCity
  • Battle - Soul — Battle of the Soul by GlitchxCity ft. CatchDalgo
  • Battle - Team Xen by GlitchxCity
  • Battle - Team Xen (Tech ver.) by GlitchxCity
  • Battle - Xen Executives by GlitchxCity
  • Battle - XG Rival — Vs! Rival 2023 (Xenogene) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • evolv — Evolution by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Feeling - Genetic — Team Splicer Base (Xenogene) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Feeling - Inconsistent — Inconsistency by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Feeling - Lonely — Keta's House (Short ver.) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Feeling - Tension by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Feeling - Winter is Coming — Forlorn Winters by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • GDC - City of Dreams by GlitchxCity
  • GDC - City of Dreams (Nighttime) by ShinPino
  • Mood - Chaos (Xenogene) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Mood - Gamble — Royal Flush by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Mood - Tropical by ShinPino
  • Music - 3rd Heaven — ARCHETYPE (Third Heaven) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - 3rd HQ — ARCHETYPE (Third Layer HQ) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Angie's Manor by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Celandine City — Celandine City 2023 (Xenogene) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Despair Desert — Badlands (Desert) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Goldenleaf Town by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Nightmare Realm — Nightmare Realm ~ Huey by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Nightmare Realm 2 — Nightmare Realm ~ Amber & Aelita by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Nightmare Realm 3 — Nightmare Realm ~ Saki by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Saki's Hijinx — Saki's Hijinks (Factory) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Song of the Faithful by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Xen Base — Nefarious Schemes by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Music - Xenogene — Nightmare (Version 1) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Rejuvenation - ... — Painful Truth...? by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Rejuvenation - Title Screen — Painful Truth (V1) by Zumi (Honnojis)
  • Rejuvenation - Title Screen 2 — Painful Truth (V2) by Zumi (Honnojis)

All tracks listed here were custom made for the game (or were given explicit permission to exclusively be used in Rejuvenation) and therefore are not to be used in other fangames.

Everything else is free to copy and use.

Animations

The End Of Night animation is not allowed to be directly copied/used in other games. This one speaks for itself. The assets for it are found in the Characters folder but it counts as an animation—Everything else is fully free to copy and use.

Tilesets/Autotile

We do however highly recommend creating your own assets for these in the long run to give your game more of its own unique identity.

Battle system

LIMITED USE:

The things related to the battle system that you aren't allowed to copy over to other games are:

• The battle UI
    • This includes the boss hp bars—please make your own graphics for this. The shields/type bar is fine to copy over.
  • Moves unique to Rejuvenation (i.e. Arenite wall, Desert's mark etc.)—though this is mostly in name only (see Crests on our stance on the matter.) Ideally you don't use the same move animation as the ones in Rejuvenation either for moves that are just renames, but it's not really a requirement.
    • The exception to this is Cthonic Malady and the petrify effect—we'd like to keep this exclusive to Rejuvenation if possible.
  • Aevian Forms

Field effects are fully free to copy and use.

Battlebacks

LIMITED USE:

The battle backgrounds that aren't allowed to be copied over to other games are:

• Cave battle backgrounds
  • Forest battle backgrounds
  • Zeight battle backgrounds
  • Grand Dream City battle backgrounds
  • Beach battle backgrounds
  • Blacksteeple battle backgrounds
  • School battle backgrounds
  • Colosseum battle background

Concert field backgrounds are exempt due to them intrinsically being tied to the Concert field effect having different stages.

Everything else is free to copy and use, including the enemy- and player bases.

Pokémon sprites/icons

LIMITED USE:

• Aevian Forms are NOT allowed to be directly copied/used in other (fan)games.
  • Regular/official Pokémon sprites and icons are free to copy and use, including those of newer generations.

Character sprites

LIMITED USE:

• Named NPC sprites (VS/Battle/Overworld) are not allowed to be directly copied over to other games. You can use the sprites as a base to work from and edit, but they should be unrecognizable compared to the character they were edited from—so no recoloring a sprite slightly and calling it a day.
  • Generic characters and trainer classes (Battle/Overworld) are free to copy and use.
  • Other assets in the characters folder (Pokémon and objects/animations) are free to copy and use.

We do however highly recommend creating your own assets for these in the long run to give your game more of its own unique identity.

Fogs

Fonts

LIMITED USE:

• Please do not copy over the Garufan-Regular font to other games.

Everything else is free to copy and use.

Items

LIMITED USE:

• Crests are not allowed to be directly copied/used in other (fan)games—But we obviously can't and shouldn't stop people from making enhancement items for specific Pokémon since that'd be turbo stupid, so it really is just specifically calling them crests and using the same icons/terminology for that that we'd prefer that others don't use. Use your own unique ideas and assets for them!

Maps

Maps are not allowed to be copied. Please map your own areas when making your own game.

Panoramas

Fully free to copy and use—but it's recommended to not use the location-based panoramas... For obvious reasons.

Pictures

LIMITED USE:

Examples of assets in this folder that you are not allowed to directly copy over to other games:

• All custom character/CG artwork (including the title screens)
  • Battle UI (see Battle System for more info)
  • Character select graphics
  • Intro cutscene graphics
  • Difficulty select graphics

There's a lot more that you probably shouldn't copy over, so I won't extend the list too far, but most of it should be pretty obvious that you shouldn't carry these over to other games. The best thing you can do is use your common sense and delete most of the Rejuvenation-specific assets that are in the folder when using Rejuvenation as a base.

Windowskins

--------------------------------------------------------------------

If you still have any questions about usage of specific assets, feel free to ask about it below!

Good luck with your projects! o7

• Like 6

• Veterans

I've been mulling over this for a little bit now, and I'd like to ask about one subject in particular in this list

First off - I think this is all fair. You've put in effort into these things. Some are relevant to the story, others are artistic works of passion.

However, one point stands out to me in the fog of everything: 

3 hours ago, Zumi said:

Moves unique to Rejuvenation (i.e. Arenite wall, Desert's mark etc.)

I feel that this is an outlier. If you said that animations tied to the moves, I'd get it, but to where does this end?
People can't make a 90 BP physical grass type move that's a cutting move and can burn?
Is this a misclarification, and you meant the visual assets tied to the moves?
Did you mean to include only gym leader signatures?
I don't really get this part, since it's just an idea that anyone could have. Cathonic Malady? Sure, I get that. That's unique to rejuvenation
But a screen that halves the damage received from super effective attacks seems like it's overstepping

I want to reiterate - I myself understand the rest of these bullet points. Do I think some could maybe be argued a bit (such as using a battle background as a base and then heavily altering it after)? Yes, but I'm not gonna cause an argument. You've put in a lot of hard work and effort into making the art, the music, the backgrounds, etc.
But I don't see the same in basic moves like "Poison sweep" "Stacking shot" "Deluge" "Arenite Wall" etc. Some sort of clarification or reason to this would be greatly appreciated!

• Veterans
1 minute ago, Pikaclone God said:

I've been mulling over this for a little bit now, and I'd like to ask about one subject in particular in this list

First off - I think this is all fair. You've put in effort into these things. Some are relevant to the story, others are artistic works of passion.

However, one point stands out to me in the fog of everything: 

I feel that this is an outlier. If you said that animations tied to the moves, I'd get it, but to where does this end?
People can't make a 90 BP physical grass type move that's a cutting move and can burn?
Is this a misclarification, and you meant the visual assets tied to the moves?
Did you mean to include only gym leader signatures?
I don't really get this part, since it's just an idea that anyone could have. Cathonic Malady? Sure, I get that. That's unique to rejuvenation
But a screen that halves the damage received from super effective attacks seems like it's overstepping

I want to reiterate - I myself understand the rest of these bullet points. Do I think some could maybe be argued a bit (such as using a battle background as a base and then heavily altering it after)? Yes, but I'm not gonna cause an argument. You've put in a lot of hard work and effort into making the art, the music, the backgrounds, etc.
But I don't see the same in basic moves like "Poison sweep" "Stacking shot" "Deluge" "Arenite Wall" etc. Some sort of clarification or reason to this would be greatly appreciated!

It's mostly in name. Just don't blatantly copy-paste a move if you can, similarly to how we'd like the crests to not be directly copy-pasted. I'll fix it up in the main post to clarify!

1. do these rules apply to any other projects? even beyond pokemon fangames/romhacks?

been kinda wanting to make something inspired by darchlight caves and i also wanna use vanilluxepavillion's track that yall used for it (and i noticed it was not on that list of 'do not use these')

I believe we discussed this Zumi, but basically, usage for any mod of Reborn is fine, so long it's explicitly said that it's from Rejuvenation, right? I ask mainly to ensure our Mod Team doesn't cause any misunderstanding, plus we had planned for a stand-alone mod that ported stuff from Rejuv into Reborn.

As always, you can reach out to me or any member of my team via Discord.

• Veterans
6 hours ago, ScorchingSethi said:
  1. do these rules apply to any other projects? even beyond pokemon fangames/romhacks?

been kinda wanting to make something inspired by darchlight caves and i also wanna use vanilluxepavillion's track that yall used for it (and i noticed it was not on that list of 'do not use these')

As mentioned at the start of the post, usage of the assets for cases that aren't Pokémon fangames are fine, as long as it will always be directly tied to Rejuvenation (i.e. a Pixelmon mod extension that includes A-forms) and not used in the context of something else! So it really just depends on how you put the assets to use.

4 hours ago, Gelius said:

I believe we discussed this Zumi, but basically, usage for any mod of Reborn is fine, so long it's explicitly said that it's from Rejuvenation, right? I ask mainly to ensure our Mod Team doesn't cause any misunderstanding, plus we had planned for a stand-alone mod that ported stuff from Rejuv into Reborn.

As always, you can reach out to me or any member of my team via Discord.

Yup! Use of the assets for mods of Reborn is completely fine as long as it's used within the context of Rejuvenation.