I need some enlightment.

AngelGozen

First thing I want to say is this :

I know this topic I'm about to start might attract some trolls who want to piss off people so if this happens then don't hesitate to lock the topic if needed.

But hopefully, none of us are bad people here, and we know how to argue without being dumb ;)

As i may have said it many times I'm French, and also as many of you do, I play League of Legends.

I don't even know if I need to say more, I'm sure you guys know what I'm going to be talking about x)

Yeah I have experienced a lot of hatered in this game. The community is crappy mostly (not saying everyone is stupid, just the good ones stay quiet so we don't notice them, but the trolls, oh man...), but what really bothers me is the fact that I sometimes get flamed and called names just because of my being French. And recently, in Team Builder, someone asked where I lived, I answered "France", and got kicked...

So my question here is : why ?

I tried looking up for this on the internet and they said French people had a bad reputation, but this level of hate, based only on reputation ?

And when you're playing a game trying your best to help your team, and as soon as you make a mistake you get some "noob french" or any variant of this, or even when, the ennemy team says "that guy French ? Wow sorry for you".. I feel like I'm 13 again and got called a fag and didn't dare answer to those bullies D:

So why ? Have you guys experienced it, or hated on French people ? (if you did I just want to understand why, I'm not gonna call you stupid or start a fight ^^)

Again if this topic is not in it's right place, or should be deleted go ahead, but I'd like to have a chance to discuss this.

That's...quite peculiar. I never had any problems with French people before, nor am I in the know of French people having a bad reputation. Hey, don't be down about it, LoL's just how it is. The trolls will always be there. As for the kick because French...I don't know why anyone would do that if you just speak English. That's just so odd.

Hmm.. Honestly I've had the opposite impression of french people.. I've always wanted to visit france and was talking with my aunt who has been there.. She told me that french people are very racist against indians.. Maybe it was just some people she may have met but that was what i heard.. As for online I've never heard of anybody dissing on the french.. Thats just plain odd.. Usually play on european/asian servers...

There's always going to be petty arguments on nationalities in the game. We here in the US don't really hear much about what happens on on the other side of l'Océan Atlantique, but I have contacts over there who tell me that there's plenty (and probably more) nationality flame wars over there.

It's petty, but unfortunately as long as there's a two screens and miles of copper wire and circuit boards between people, that stuff is still going to happen.

I used to play LoL, ran Warwick and was pretty good. Ive seen some french people and they were all good. They were nice and polite and even offered me pointers. If anything id rather play with one or two french people because they seem so much nicer then all the D-Bags ive come across.

(though i dont like that indian stereotype, im Cherokee....unless its people from India. then meh)

What I say is simply a relaying of information I've heard from others at my school. EDIT: Due to some confusion from failure to read, I'll reiterate that this is NOT my opinion, simply that of others. With that being said, I'll fire away.

The biggest thing I've heard is that people see French people as noobs because in countless wars, the French have a reputation for losing or retreating from vital battles. A group of people at my school often make jokes about, for example, French tanks having mirrors so they can see the battlefield as they retreat. In short, because of your nation's history, people make the prejudiced assumption that all French people are therefore cowards or "scrubs" as it's put.

Edited by Arkhidon

From my knowledge of the LoL international experience, or at the very least it's perception; there is a lot of discussion that both France and Germany has a disproportionate number of disagreeable players to be on a team with. You might be being lumped into this prejudicial stereotyping and thus dropped because of either past experience with other players from your nation, or just the general stigma that those players have caused (or were at least perceived to have caused).

I am sorry for your unpleasant experience though; people can be pretty awful.

What I say is simply a relaying of information I've heard. With that being said, I'll fire away.

The biggest thing I've heard is that people see French people as noobs because in countless wars, the French have a reputation for losing or retreating from vital battles. A group of people at my school often make jokes about, for example, French tanks having mirrors so they can see the battlefield as they retreat. In short, because of your nation's history, people make the prejudiced assumption that all French people are therefore cowards or "scrubs" as it's put.

>Countless

The French gained their "reputation" for surrender during WW2 after they had surrendered to Nazi Germany (This doesn't even count the insane amount of propaganda put out by the British prior to the Napoleonic wars). However, people tend to ignore or not know (much like your post illustrates) that the French have a long history of military badassery. You can go to as far back as the days when they were known as "Gaul", and they were the only people to defeat Atilla the Hun in battle. Up until the pre-WWI climate came over Europe, it can be easily stated that France was in the running for world hegemony (You can even say that they retained it for quite some time). Post WWI, the French ceased their power grabs, but to be fair to them, most of Europe had as well. HEILDEUTSCHLAND.

Now, when we see people making fun of the French, be it here or abroad, we have to factor in two things that I mentioned earlier, and one thing that hadn't been mentioned. When an American is making fun of the French, you can typically attribute it to one of two things, their surrender in WW2, and the French government's refusal to become involved in Iraq. (Ever heard of Freedom Fries?) When it's abroad, odds are it's a mix of years of British propaganda, and again, the surrender during WW2. This doesn't change the fact for the longest time the French had a reputation for being some of the scariest fuckers ever.

Please, read a bit before blatantly stating lies about an entire country.

(Hell, this is coming from the guy who regularly bags on the French.)

About France, it is a common stereotype that French people are very selfish. They stick to their French language and will never speak English, even when in other countries.

As of LoL, it's not about you being French, but because of LoL and other games as such in general: they have a very toxic community.

>Countless

The French gained their "reputation" for surrender during WW2 after they had surrendered to Nazi Germany (This doesn't even count the insane amount of propaganda put out by the British prior to the Napoleonic wars). However, people tend to ignore or not know (much like your post illustrates) that the French have a long history of military badassery. You can go to as far back as the days when they were known as "Gaul", and they were the only people to defeat Atilla the Hun in battle. Up until the pre-WWI climate came over Europe, it can be easily stated that France was in the running for world hegemony (You can even say that they retained it for quite some time). Post WWI, the French ceased their power grabs, but to be fair to them, most of Europe had as well. HEILDEUTSCHLAND.

Now, when we see people making fun of the French, be it here or abroad, we have to factor in two things that I mentioned earlier, and one thing that hadn't been mentioned. When an American is making fun of the French, you can typically attribute it to one of two things, their surrender in WW2, and the French government's refusal to become involved in Iraq. (Ever heard of Freedom Fries?) When it's abroad, odds are it's a mix of years of British propaganda, and again, the surrender during WW2. This doesn't change the fact for the longest time the French had a reputation for being some of the scariest fuckers ever.

(Hell, this is coming from the guy who regularly bags on the French.)

Indeed, France was a great empire, and won a lot of wars, prior to WWII when they did surrender, so they didn't surrender in "Countless Wars" as you said Arkhidon. But even if people make fun of us because of this, that is a completely different thing. I mean in France we too have stereotypes for a lot of countries, and we make fun of them (Americans being fat, and such things :P), but we don't hate on them just for this, or at least I don't.

(And to be honest I don't even care about history, I'm only French because I was born and live and in France, but my family has no french origins whatsoever.)

About France, it is a common stereotype that French people are very selfish. They stick to their French language and will never speak English, even when in other countries.

As of LoL, it's not about you being French, but because of LoL and other games as such in general: they have a very toxic community.

Well I never speak French unless I'm with a premade French, and even then I still speak English when needed.

I too have come across some french trolls, and some from other countries, but I never did anything to be treated that way, except being french I guess D:

That is also one of the reasons why in France we believe Riot cares only about NA, because they never did a damn thing to stop the hate against us :/

Anyway, yeah, I guess haters be haters.

Being French and also a (former) LoL player, I can relate to your problem.

The League of Legends community is quite vast and, as a result, filled with annoying people. As you pointed out yourself, as soon as LoL is mentionned, especially when someone has a problem with it, everyone who played the game even for a short time knows the issue is linked with flaming, rude players of some sort. I don't think it is related with the fact that you're French in particular, as they use pretty much every insulting thing they can think of when they feel like it (read : every time they die/ you die/ a tower is taken/ they didn't insult another human being in the past 30 seconds). I've actually seen more people being flamed because they were Spanish, so I guess it's not completely related to a specific nationality.

My advice would be to always play with people you know and like. I know it's not always possible, but that's the only thing that had kept me playing.

On the topic of France's reputation over the internet, as others like Neo have pointed out, French people tend to be associated with the outcome of WW2, and are therefore regarded as cowards among other things (which is completely untrue when one studies History, but stereotypes don't give a flying damn about accuracy, no matter where they come from). At the beginning of the current "conflict" between Russia and Ukraine, I even saw a meme featuring a fake front-page with the headline : "France already surrenders to Russia"...

There is even a trope called French Jerk (I can give you the link if you want). But that's just based on stereotypes, and some of ours are quite as idiotic.

On the topic of France's reputation over the internet, as others like Neo have pointed out, French people tend to be associated with the outcome of WW2, and are therefore regarded as cowards among other things (which is completely untrue when one studies History, but stereotypes don't give a flying damn about accuracy, no matter where they come from).

Wow, I did not know that people actually do associate the outcome of WW2 with being "coward" gamers. I am not saying anyone does that here, but wow. Those are the real cowards... :/

I have no idea why French gamers specifically should be called names and flamed, though some people I know claim that the French are not "that" good in English, and therefore not being able to cooperate efficiently in team games. But then again, I never played LoL. :)

Wow, I did not know that people actually do associate the outcome of WW2 with being "coward" gamers. I am not saying anyone does that here, but wow. Those are the real cowards... :/

I have no idea why French gamers specifically should be called names and flamed, though some people I know claim that the French are not "that" good in English, and therefore not being able to cooperate efficiently in team games. But then again, I never played LoL. :)

Keep it that way. Better for your sanity.

• Support Squad

I live in a section of Britain that should probably be known Solely for prejudice and discrimination. I've heard something offensive about just about every Globally known Community, and the worst insult i've heard about the french is " Cheese eating Surrender Monkeys". I cannot stress how very tame this is, for an area as bad as mine. That said, i can't imagine the French reputation is that bad across the world.

Oh and if you wish for Enlightenment

EMBRACE THE HOLY TACOS

Edited by DobbyTheElf

I believe I said rather explicitly that what I mentioned in that post is all a relay of information that others have stated. So it would do you well to take your own advice and read through what I posted.

@Angel Before agreeing with Neo, read up on what I said.

I believe I said rather explicitly that what I mentioned in that post is all a relay of information that others have stated. So it would do you well to take your own advice and read through what I posted.

@Angel Before agreeing with Neo, read up on what I said.

That doesn't make the stupid shit you said any more valid. As for "take your own advice", I'm not the one lacking knowledge on the subject, you are. Typically, if you're going to speak on a topic in a situation like this it helps to know what you're fucking talking about.

I live in a section of Britain that should probably be known Solely for prejudice and discrimination. I've heard something offensive about just about every Globally known Community, and the worst insult i've heard about the french is " Cheese eating Surrender Monkeys". I cannot stress how very tame this is, for an area as bad as mine. That said, i can't imagine the French reputation is that bad across the world.

Oh and if you wish for Enlightenment

Odds are you heard this from the Simpsons, but it was completely satirical. If you heard it from another source, then it could be hard to tell if they're serious or not.

That doesn't make the stupid shit you said any more valid. As for "take your own advice", I'm not the one lacking knowledge on the subject, you are. Typically, if you're going to speak on a topic in a situation like this it helps to know what you're fucking talking about.

This thread's purpose is to bring to light the answer to a question. I am letting Angel know what is being said where I am, and, as it is targeted to his ethnicity, is my reason for posting what I did. If you are searching for validity, then you won't find it in idle gossip in a schoolyard. Historical record is written in textbook and archive and, as you are aware, not in the words of unbeknownst schoolboys. Again, I will repeat what was stated: what I heard was conversation from people at a school. Obviously, it is not true as has been stated in both historical documentary and this thread. You know your stuff, I must say.

I am not an adept scholar with history, so I strayed away from making clearly stated fact that I was not entirely certain about. My one and only statement, concerning France's history, about the French retreating from some vital wars is not false, but in no intention of mine a claim of hatred or prejudice. For that reason, I said only the one line that I checked with sources to confirm as true. I would hardly call one statement a speech.

Lastly, just watch the language. I don't want to fight mind-against-mind with you. Debate is a good thing, but please keep it civil.

I am not an adept scholar with history, so I strayed away from making clearly stated fact that I was not entirely certain about. My one and only statement, concerning France's history, about the French retreating from some vital wars is not false,

http://www.militaryfactory.com/battles/french_military_victories.asp

Pick through that and find a legit retreat that wasn't an outright loss in a "vital war" (Meaning the existence of the country was on the line [Hint you won't find one])

I don't want to fight mind-against-mind with you. Debate is a good thing, but please keep it civil.

Don't tone police me in an attempt to take some bullshit self-made high ground.

Seeing as you picked only a few sentences from my post, I'm going to assume this argument has quelled. I will not continue responding if the post has nothing to do with the thread. My apologies.

If it's enlightment you need, you've come to the right address.

Fedora.jpg

People just need a scapegoat on League of Legends to make up for their own lack of skill

Yea typically. This is the reason I prefer to play with friends, a lot less toxic of an environment. (sometimes lol XD.). All I will say is, I try to be nice as possible to everyone I meet because of that. (Sometimes that makes them even more mad, but I don't really care, I usually mute them after replying once.) In-game, just ignore them. And in Team-Builder I don't know why it would ever come up to ask where somebody is from.....sounds odd to me. Not sure why the Internet has to always be turned into a place of hatred etc....because some people don't know how to handle themselves/relive their stress about their won shortcomings, on people they don't even know. Maybe I don't get it because I don't have a single scrap of that stuff in me.