Uncatchable Aipom!

Anthalt

So... I just had the most frustrating an comical experience I've ever had trying to catch a pokemon and figured it was worth sharing and asking if anyone else has 'enjoyed' anything similar.

I've been looking to get an ambipom with skill link to add to my team rotation (it's a big rotation), and after about ten minutes of headbutting trees and using Raltz to help me identify the abilities of the things that came out I finally found one! I swapped into my Zangoose, got in a quick false swipe and then swapped out to my venusaur to set up a sleep powder and get this in the bag!

Was I ever in for a surprise... Pokeball after pokeball, sleep powder after sleep powder... it just wouldn't stay down. 10 pokeballs in I was worried... but at 20 it had become a matter of personal honour! How dare that grinning purple chimp defy my attempts to catch it so! It through everything I had left, premier balls, great balls, my prized ultra ball...

Nothing...

My retribution was not swift, but was total, powering up my venesaur with 6 growths (a message needed to be sent to other pokemon that would try that again in future!) before delivering the final sludge bomb.

I switched the game off without saving and tried again, as I write this I am 7 pokeballs in to the second skill link aipom I have met in 1 hour and 39 minutes (and counting). Will I survive this ordeal? Will aipom? My real question is have any of you, my fellow trainers ever had an experience like this; a pokemon that just refused to be caught no matter how weak or debilitated?

Maybe I should just breed one instead...

Edited by Anthalt

one word; "Absol".

Sadly, i havent experienced it in Reborn yet, but in my copy of White 2, it took me 3 tries to catch an Absol for my team.

Something in Reborn....probally getting Panpour to sit still long enough to talk to it, only to have it beat your team (somehow)

Aipom's catch rate of 45 would be the base of your problem.

@ the topic, there is one Pokemon in Reborn that consistently gives me grief every time I decide I want to bother with it...

...And that's Murkrow. With access to only Poke Balls and the specialty balls (none of which are likely to help you with it), perhaps one Great Ball, if you've found that, catching it with that catch rate of 30 is a nightmare. It usually takes me multiple tries and much frustration.

Why can't we at least buy Great Balls at this point in the game? Ugh...

Lol, but surely 1hp, asleep and 40 pokeballs, 4 greatballs, and a pair of ultraballs later and I'd have some success (note: I did not manage to catch the second one either)? Asleep and at 1hp I'm pretty sure I'm looking at about 35% success.

Edited by Anthalt

invest in some level balls (unless i'm not supposed to have access to that floor of the department store yet :l ) thats how i caught my beldum. lvl 1 beldum vs lvl 60 spritomb, one ball = caught

How I wish I had thought of that when I went to catch Beldum the first time. Not only did it keep killing itself with TakeDown, my 8 Great Balls, 2 Ultra Balls and Dusk Ball gave no results after at least 40 mins of reloading. I even missed a Shiny Beldum with it's hidden ability (which I didn't want, but still).

Next time, 1 Fury Swipe from Shedinja and 1 Level Ball were all it took. GG, me.

I have a question for you...

Why do you even want a Skill Link Aipom? What good is Skill Link on Ambipom? Technican is far better for Ambipom making its Fake Out/Double Hit and Pursuit stronger.

I may (or may not) have mistaken the effect of double hit for double slap and I may (or may not) have been dreaming of a skill linked attack with 35 power...

I guess I'll go breed a new one now...

well, my beldum :v maybe you will think that beldum has a very low catch rate (like 1%) but the fact is i use gengar with hypnosis, and the time i got this metal is >50 level ball (my gengar's level is 60). almost used all the PP hypnosis got. i almost crush my laptop when beldum got almost 1 HP because of struggle. but the last time works, and guess what, it's IVs HP/ ATK/ DEF/ SP.def/ SPEED is 30/27/31/20/14.

IT'S WORTHY!!!!!