Astrology

Astrology.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's your zodiac sign?

2. 2. What's your opinion on astrology?

• I believe on it.
    • I believe it somewhat, can't really take everything seriously.
    • I don't really believe it, but i think it's kind of interesting.
    • I don't believe on it.
    • It's bullshit.

So i was wondering if i should put this Trainer's journal or the wasteland, but yeah, when in doubt, wasteland. No, now that i think of it, definitely wasteland.

But yeah! I got curious to see y'all's opinion on the topic, so i made this poll. As for myself, i didn't really care about it 'til a friend came and explained the stuff to me, and while i still don't believe on it, i do think it can be rather intriguing.

So feel free to vote on the poll and if you're knowledgeable about the stuff, feel free to discuss as well.

Well I'm actually a capricorn and aquarius cusp.. people born on the first/last 2-3 days of each sign tend to show a mixture of the two signs as their personalities.. and as such their horoscopes from both can be valid.. just thought i'd share that.. so if possible you can add that option for the poll..

as for believing it.. well not always, but at times i'm astounded by the accuracy of the predictions.. so i do read my horoscope every few days.. :P.. i definitely cannot say that it is always true.. but neither can i say that it is heresy.. i guess around 20% of the times it is spot on.. other times it can be completely wrong.. but for a predictive belief even 20% seems enough to give it a certain amount of recognition...

The idea that astronomical events somehow affect the ones on Earth seems extremely Farfetch'd, unless we're talking about a humongous meteor about to obliterate the planet. From a scientific point of view, astrology holds no merit whatsoever. It makes no sense, there's no logic to it. Also, being an atheist also leads me to think that, if an almighty creator doesn't exist, clusters of Helium and Hydrogen probably don't have any "cosmic power" or somesuch thing. The most noteworthy thing that could happen "up there" is a solar eclipse. Or, well, the meteor.

• Support Squad

Leo, As for Believing it, it's like my opinion on the afterlife: it'd be too boring if it didn't exist.

Of course i don't believe it when someone attributes so much of their daily life to Astrology

I can understand why ancient people believed in this (let's call it) "idea" (so as to not offend anyone) because...well...they believed in many things we consider stupid now but modern/civilized humans? How the heck? I simply can't understand, there's no logic in it (same for religion btw).

It's interesting Bullshit. Bullshit that is somewhat accurate half the time

It makes sense half the time because it's incredibly vague int he way that it predicts things.

Oh cool, lots of cancers here.

Although the thought of astrology is very out there my scepticism forces me to not entirely believe in everything I hear/see/learn and to give everything fair consideration. So I never rule anything as bullshit. Besides, the human imagination is too vast for the real world to be so uneventful and boring.

Except when it's not. Which is most of the time.

Ya its not all that accurate.. mostly just about 1/5 times.. but that one time it can be dead accurate.. and not at all vague.. its actually predicted a time that i would dent my car.. :P

I picked the "somewhat true" option because i can't be sure in regards to other people. For me though, it's always spot-on.

I am a Gemini. If you go and do some research into how gemini people act and think, you'll be reading about me pretty much. Energetic, creative, enthusiastic, witty, extremely talkative. Constantly worrying about their impression and their quality, and as such needing reassurance. Etcetera. Loves women but sex is not a priority. Shows outward happiness even when unhappy, so they do not appear otherwise to anybody else. Tends to spread interest across a wide variety of things. Dislikes being tied down.

I don't know how it is for anybody else, or if it's accurate for you, but for me, it's all completely true. To the point of absurdity, perhaps.

^Same case with me chuckles. Sometimes it depends on who you get a reading from: experienced professional person or cheap scammer. But for me, 9/10 its spot on.

You mean experienced professional scammer or chep scammer

You two can discuss the topic without coming off as disrespectful, cool it.

Ehm i really don't think i am, i'm not offending a person here but a "thing" (that is astrology) and anyone can have their opinions on the matter

It's all in your head.

Now you're just being silly. It has nothing to do with me or what i would think really. I'm saying that the astrology explanations describe me accurately. Everything i have ever read about it applies to me, the way i think and the way i behave. It's completely undeniable. As i said before, this might not be the same for other people, but for me, i know how it is. You can disagree with the astrological information applied to you, and that's fine, and if it doesn't apply to you then that's one thing, but you can't sit here and say that it applies to nobody and expect to be taken seriously. That's a farce, truly. You could try to convince people that, since you don't like apple juice, nobody could ever like apple juice, and i would say that it's silly just the same.

Ehm i really don't think i am, i'm not offending a person here but a "thing" (that is astrology) and anyone can have their opinions on the matter

But if it applies to somebody, seriously, how can you say that? I don't understand. If even one person finds it applicable to them, then it's true and real and makes sense. If it's not applicable to you, that doesn't mean it's just some scam that can't really apply to anybody, right? I mean, do you really think that? I'm not trying to attack ya here i just find it...well, perplexing that somebody would think that way.

I don't know about those prediction things though, or if they apply to me or anybody because i don't follow them. I just know that the descriptions of gemini people describe me.

Now you're just being silly. It has nothing to do with me or what i would think really. I'm saying that the astrology explanations describe me accurately. Everything i have ever read about it applies to me, the way i think and the way i behave. It's completely undeniable. As i said before, this might not be the same for other people, but for me, i know how it is. You can disagree with the astrological information applied to you, and that's fine, and if it doesn't apply to you then that's one thing, but you can't sit here and say that it applies to nobody and expect to be taken seriously. That's a farce, truly. You could try to convince people that, since you don't like apple juice, nobody could ever like apple juice, and i would say that it's silly just the same.

Liking apple juice is far more black and white, and it only takes one instance to negate the false positive.

Astrology has about 1000 different things involved. It's more like Nostradamus fortune telling. It paints a broad picture and sometimes if you bend your mind towards it, it may seem as if it's accurate.

Well apparently i have been reading very different things from what you've been reading because I haven't seen anything like that, and everything i've read is incredibly specific.

But if it applies to somebody, seriously, how can you say that? I don't understand. If even one person finds it applicable to them, then it's true and real and makes sense. If it's not applicable to you, that doesn't mean it's just some scam that can't really apply to anybody, right? I mean, do you really think that? I'm not trying to attack ya here i just find it...well, perplexing that somebody would think that way.

I don't know about those prediction things though, or if they apply to me or anybody because i don't follow them. I just know that the descriptions of gemini people describe me.

I really think it is a scam, i know that every person has it's own opinion and that's ok so if i offend/ed you with my words i'm sorry but what i think about astrology won't change. I know a lot about it (my mother follows every damn thing related to astrology there is) the funny thing is if you look at the billion horoscopes that come out every day many of them contradict each other, sure one day one of them might "say" something correct about you but that's just a fluke (because it's statistically possible to happen) nothing more, so yea the people writing these things are scammers (or fanatics but that's not better right?) this is what i think.

• Support Squad

I really think it is a scam, i know that every person has it's own opinion and that's ok so if i offend/ed you with my words i'm sorry but what i think about astrology won't change. I know a lot about it (my mother follows every damn thing related to astrology there is) the funny thing is if you look at the billion horoscopes that come out every day many of them contradict each other, sure one day one of them might "say" something correct about you but that's just a fluke (because it's statistically possible to happen) nothing more, so yea the people writing these things are scammers (or fanatics but that's not better right?) this is what i think.

So what would you say to the people who learnt all the inner workings of Fortune tellng, and simply told fortunes for no benefit? Would it be a scam then? And you say the horoscopes contradict each other, but those are more than likely computer generated, just like the text on the paper in a fortune cookie, so there will of course be contradictions.

I don't really give two damns about those daily predictions or what ever, but for me the Zodiac sign Personality descriptions match up spot on with most people I know IRL. that's really the only reason I give it any credence. and the daily horoscopes are written vaguely for much the same reason that Nostradamus prophecies were, so that they could be interpreted multiple ways and yet still somehow end up as "Correct" in what they predict, even if the individual only thinks that it's correct because of how they interpreted it, in their mind it's still right, and so that becomes the reality for them.

basically the horoscopes are designed to work kinda like the placebo effect, it can all be in you head... or maybe it's not in your head...

Do you really know which one it is? no, not really. well, you would with the general placebo effect if someone told you that they gave you sugar pills instead of the actual medicine and then the illusion of the effect is broken, but it's not so simple to break said belief in this case of it.

Still, kinda interesting.

So what would you say to the people who learnt all the inner workings of Fortune tellng, and simply told fortunes for no benefit? Would it be a scam then? And you say the horoscopes contradict each other, but those are more than likely computer generated, just like the text on the paper in a fortune cookie, so there will of course be contradictions.

Never saw one of those so idk as for the second part that only proves i am right, those things are computer generated (all of them) and so are all false imo.

Edited by Gaunt