Astrology

Astrology.  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What's your zodiac sign?

2. 2. What's your opinion on astrology?

• I believe on it.
    • I believe it somewhat, can't really take everything seriously.
    • I don't really believe it, but i think it's kind of interesting.
    • I don't believe on it.
    • It's bullshit.

• Support Squad

Never saw one of those so idk as for the second part that only proves i am right, those things are computer generated (all of them) and so are all false imo.

Uh, wasn't the whole thing about Astrlogy and Fortune telling as a whole?

• Support Squad

The discussion was about whether you believe in Astrology and fortune telling. That doesn't just encompass whether a horoscope app or fortune cookie is real.

The discussion was about whether you believe in Astrology and fortune telling. That doesn't just encompass whether a horoscope app or fortune cookie is real.

Oh ok well it should be pretty obvious now but i don't belive in it

Curse you NET service, can't have a day without my internet slowing down or going off huh? ;_; Well, reply time.

Well I'm actually a capricorn and aquarius cusp.. people born on the first/last 2-3 days of each sign tend to show a mixture of the two signs as their personalities.. and as such their horoscopes from both can be valid.. just thought i'd share that.. so if possible you can add that option for the poll..

as for believing it.. well not always, but at times i'm astounded by the accuracy of the predictions.. so i do read my horoscope every few days.. :P.. i definitely cannot say that it is always true.. but neither can i say that it is heresy.. i guess around 20% of the times it is spot on.. other times it can be completely wrong.. but for a predictive belief even 20% seems enough to give it a certain amount of recognition...

Indeed, i actually thought about adding these options to the poll, but people seldom are so versed on the topic to know what exactly a cusp is, i tried to make this as casual as possible. I'm an aries with libra ascendant, so technically i'd have a bit of every sign, considering they're polar oposites on the chart. But yeah, people don't look so much into that. I don't really believe it that much, but i AM kinda superstitious xD so i look up when something important is coming.

It's bullshit, if this offends anyone sorrynotsorry.

No ofense taken at all! After all this is exactly to discuss and show of your opinions.

Liking apple juice is far more black and white, and it only takes one instance to negate the false positive.

Astrology has about 1000 different things involved. It's more like Nostradamus fortune telling. It paints a broad picture and sometimes if you bend your mind towards it, it may seem as if it's accurate.

To be honest, that's a pretty valid argument, it makes sense when you think about it, the human mind is more fragile than it seems, and we learn the basis of behavior as infants exactly by copying influences around us.

I just don't understand this....i mean, what you said isn't offensive, it's just...well, impossible. If it is undoubtedly true for some people, you can't say that it's something to believe in or not believe in. We are not talking about ghosts or aliens or deities, this is something that is simply true...for some people. To say that you don't believe in it is the same as saying you don't believe that Democrats exist. They exist, whether you agree with what they say and want or not. It doesn't seem like something that could be argued, which is why i don't understand how...people....are attempting to argue about it.

Sorry but in my opinion Astrology is comparable to.

aliens-meme-image.jpeg

Hell that's not even fair to Aliens, which are almost certainly real, but to say their influence in our past because of some drawing or something that we can't figure out how they did it, yeah that's what it looks like to me.

I just don't understand this....i mean, what you said isn't offensive, it's just...well, impossible. If it is undoubtedly true for some people, you can't say that it's something to believe in or not believe in. We are not talking about ghosts or aliens or deities, this is something that is simply true...for some people. To say that you don't believe in it is the same as saying you don't believe that Democrats exist. They exist, whether you agree with what they say and want or not. It doesn't seem like something that could be argued, which is why i don't understand how...people....are attempting to argue about it.

Undoubtedly true? Well i doubt it (and so are many MANY people) if it was true it would give correct results (for everyone not just somebody) like 90% of the time (at least) and that is not the case right? Right case closed.

P.S. quotes from Wikipedia

At the end of the 17th century, new scientific concepts in astronomy and physics called astrology into question. Astrology thus lost its academic and theoretical standing, and common belief in astrology has largely declined. Astrology has been rejected by the scientific community as a pseudoscience, having no validity or explanatory power for describing the universe. Among other issues, there is no proposed mechanism of action by which the positions and motions of stars and planets could affect people and events on Earth that does not contradict well understood basic aspects of biology and physics. Scientific testing of astrology has found no evidence to support any of the premises or purported effects outlined in astrological traditions. In one study, participating astrologers attempting to match natal charts with profiles generated by a psychological inventory produced results not significantly at variance with random chance. Those who continue to have faith in astrology have been characterized as doing so "in spite of the fact that there is no verified scientific basis for their beliefs, and indeed that there is strong evidence to the contrary". According to available literature Astrology believers tend to selectively remember those predictions which have turned out to be true, and do not remember those predictions which happen to be false. There is no consensus amongst astrologers as to what astrology is or what it can predict. Most professional astrologers are paid to predict the future or describe a person's personality and life, but most horoscopes only make vague untestable statements that can apply to almost anyone.

Edited by Gaunt

I can totally understand how you can easily call BS on it because there isn't any scientific way to explain it, heck I can barely explain it myself. So I won't try to change anyones mind or protest because everyone's opinion is valid. Although I do find it interesting to know what other people think on the subject.