THIS Commercial

Arkhi

I can't count the number of awkward, uncomfortable, and cringe-worthy moments in this commercial. Typically, I can forgive a commercial, but... That woman at the end sliding into a new place. The nine seconds of shoe-squeaking and build-up just to tell us that the beer that is clearly visible is indeed beer. Why are you showing us a Stoplight? Why is Howard the only normal person? How does hospitality have a taste?

And for the incredibly brave, here's a question:

What does the mayor say?!? (11 seconds)

It's like this entire commercial was completed without any retakes and, instead of reshooting them, Jimmy (the one in blue) just said "No, it works."

This is fucking hilarious. I think the point of the commercial kinda went over your head, it's intentionally awkward, think Napoleon Dynamite.

This is fucking hilarious. I think the point of the commercial kinda went over your head, it's intentionally awkward, think Napoleon Dynamite.

There's too much gray area between the message and the standoffish mood for me to think it intentional. It's like they can't decide between the lesser of two evils, "so why not both?"

Is it just me or did they really try and hit it home that they were like a small town operation? Like, they tried so hard to get that across even though they did it like right away, but still kept going "Guys, we are a small town operation." like throughout the whole thing.

I think I agree with Neo on this. It seemed pretty intentional to me... Especially noticeable at the end, starting at 1:46, with that awkward smile. Plus, the music seems that way to me too, though that might just be me.

Edit: Also, I think the mayor said, "Jimmy, I just wanna say..."

Edited by Flux

I'm just gonna assume Ark and some of you others has ADHD because I had no problem whatsoever with this commercial. I'm sure you'd be better entertained by shiny bells, whistles, and some goddam fire works.

Mael, I'd appreciate if you didn't use an illness as a description of our entertainment towards this. You being unable to see anything out-of-the-ordinary in the commercial gives you no reason to attack us.

It's not that it isn't out of the ordinary. But more a return to something simpler, yet more subtle. I'm questioning your ability to appreciate something that isn't flashy or shocking or overtly funny in some way. Those aren't what it was going for. It just bothered me that it seems like the attitude of some is "entertain me or else I don't get the point." I'm pretty sure the people behind the "Pepperridge farm remembers" knew exactly what that commercial was doing. And to be fair, it obviously isn't to your demographic. The newer generations such as yourselves are stereotypically all about the instant gratification. The newer generations are also struggling with this "ADHD" and discerning it from a complete lack of self discipline.

Condition =/= illness. But if offends you that I drew a drew the parallel to the shallow level of critique demonstrated in the OP to a 'condition' in which the person gives a miniscule, shallow amount of attention to most things (which have a trend of being subjects that require more work/deeper thought -coughschoolcough-) then maybe that was the was the intent. My thought reaction to the OP after watching, "Did you even really try?" You know, the same question that many people levy at purported ADHD sufferers.

You paid attention to the superficial. Did you see anybody who seemed like a paid, professional actor? You know, those, smiling people with perfect teeth and way too much enthusiasm? What if- gasp- they're real people, not models? Are they trying to sell you a product as much as trust in the people who make the product? You see scenes in the town, peek into their daily lives. This isn't the axe commercial where angels fall from heaven to swarm all over the guy with movie star hair after spraying some on. This is something far more honest than that. And to be honest, to someone like me who has been around a sight longer than most others here, I found the commercial rather refreshing.