Unique Trainer Tendencies

Chase

Starters on first Playthrough:

Gen I - Squirtle (because Blastoise was on the box of my blue edition)

Gen II - Cindaquill

Gen III - Torchic (it's cute, fluffy and cuddly! - all time favorite starter even when I didn't know it was OP)

Gen IV - Chimchar

Gen V - Oshawott (for the love of god... I can't stand Tepig... I don't really know why... I mean I love bacon...)

Gen VI - Froakie (wanted to start with Fennekin until I learned that Froakie evolves into a cool ninja-frog)

Sooooo yeah... no Grass types on my first playthroughs...

Random:

- I generally don't like Grass-Types because all of their weaknesses and only few strengths that are better covered by water (Rock/Ground) and electric (flying/water) types

- normally I don't look after stats (here in Reborn I do!) - I try to get my Team as early as possible so that I don'T have to switch out and grind levels as much

--- this results in my team consisting mostly of Pokemon which are catchable very early.

- I absolutely hate level grinding - if it consists purely on wild encounters... it's just boring running around fighting the same pokemon over and over again (thanks to Gen VI for that Battle-Castle thingie)

- Favorite type is Ice because Ice wrecked everything in Gen I (Blastoise with Ice Beam and Arcticuno in Team) -> OP as hell back then

- I will always get an Eeveelution in my team - Thanks Gen VI for making Eevee easy and early accessible! -> if available I will get Glaceon, since it is my favorite.

- beginning with Gen III - I considered Legendaries as really boring to use them in regular play and see them more as trophies. (they are just too overpowerd... and as I grew older I can't stand that)

- I almost never use boosting moves...

the reason: "Hey let's use Swords Dance to increase my attack!" *uses swords dance* *enemy Pokemon attacks* *my Pokemon fainted* "... well that was a wasted turn... I could have totally wrecked it with a normal attack..." -> I tend to kill the enemy while their setting up.... so they just do the same and I don't get any profit from it...

Hmm...
Gen 1: Bulbasaur. I never really cared for Charizard unlike my childhood peers.
Gen 2: Cyndaquil because of Quilava's design ^^
Gen 3: Torchic (And this is before it got Speed Boost!)
Gen 4: I chose Turtwig because I hated Piplup no thanks to the anime and Chimchar didn't appeal to me.
Gen 5: Snivy~
Gen 6: Froakie. Originally, I wanted Fennekin, but I didn't like Delphox's design so...
Random Facts:

--> I always have a flying type in my playthroughs.

--> I don't like a lot of Water type Pokemon (as you can probably see from my signature). So, it's hard for me to use one when necessary; Pokemon Sapphire with it's abundance of water really made me scream...

--> That being said, I choose Pokemon based on their designs rather than their stats or usefulness. Not saying that stats, movepools, and such are not of concern to me, they are just not as important.

--> Generation 4 is the most forgettable Pokemon generation to me (and hence, my least favorite). Like, if you ask me something that came from Platinum, Diamond, or Pearl, I probably would not be able to answer you.

--> Despite that, Giratina and the Distortion World is what made me buy a gen. 4 game in the first place.

--> I rarely use items in-game. I'm patient enough to make the trip back to the Pokemon Center to save on money.

--> Never used x-items. I sold them prior to 3rd gen when there is a separate slot for them.

--> Patrat is my least favorite of the starter "rats."

--> When I first played Pokemon Yellow (when I was 6 or 7), I was actually stuck on Agatha. Hence, I never actually completed the game until I picked up again when I was in my teens...

--> I do not own a 2nd gen game. I finally played it on a rom.

I'll happily jump on this train.

Gen 1: Charmander. You gotta love that powerful Charizard

Gen 2: Totodile. Bayleef may be the cutest Pokemon there is, but Feraligatr over Meganium.

Gen 3: I love all of them, but as you have heard: I do like Mudkips.

Gen 4: Turtwig

Gen 5: Probably Oshawott. Worst set of starters there is

Gen 6: Chespin

-I always catch a bad Normal type in the beginning that works as an ok fighter at first, but as a HM slave later on >: D

-Can't have a complete team without a bulky Steel/Rock/Ground type. Might use those for Strength or Rock Smash if I have to.

-A team without a powerful Flying type is a nono!

-I like to stock up on healing items and nothing else.

-I used to make a full team to help me through the game, but if I don't care that much I'll very easily end up with just one strong Pokemon + the legendary. It usually is the starter that I just level up like crazy.

-Reborn is the first game that made me use a team of over 6 Pokemon

-I always hesitate to challenge the leauge no matter how strong my team is. I don't know why.

-My team should be finished before the 6th gym

I like this topic. It's cool to read how everyone plays.

Gen 1: Bulbasaur. End of story.

Gen 2: I've literally only played Heart Gold. Once. But when I did play it I picked Totodile of course.

Gen 3: Mudkip was the first pokemon ive ever gotten ever in my whole life and she was a female mudkip and I loved her so much and her moveset was poop but I love Swampert I'M SO EXCITED FOR HOENN TO COME BACK, HOENN IS MY GEN 1. *ahem*

Gen 4: ..? Oh right. Sinnoh. I picked Piplup.

Gen 5: Snivy.

Gen 6: #TeamFroakie4Lyfe

- I also can't do HM slaves. I just spread the moves out in my team.

-I've never done a nuzlocke, and I don't think I ever will. I know they're just pixels, and I know they're not really "dead", but I just really don't like the idea of my pokemon dying. Even if it's just pretend...I don't mind when other people do them though, I'll watch let's plays and stuff, but MY pokemon are special.

- I love the challenge Reborn offers sooo much, it means I can still have fun and try hard with my pokes and they dont have to fake die. :D

- I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure my fear of nuzlockes is also a reason that I got into competitive battling. In game is only fun for so long.

- I don't like ledgendaries. I just don't really care to own them. I like the way they fit into the storylines, and I think some of them are really cool, but I really never have the desire to capture them, and I never ever have legends on my team. I will catch them only if I'm trying to complete my dex.

- I actually really liked the contests in 3rd gen, I'm pretty sure if Pokemon were real I'd be a coordinator.

- I like breeding pokemon and raising them the legit way. It takes longer, but I want my pokemon to be special to me, and they are!

- I cried a lot when I played the Mystery Dungeon games (because of the storylines). I got Eevee as my hero. It was hard.

- I'm a very emotional trainer.

- Character customization in X and Y is one of the greatest things that has every happened to me. I hated having to play as Dawn...ugh...DAWN...(May is perfect tho.)

- I have a crush on at least one character in each Pokemon game.

- I really wish there were more Ice types because I love em and I always try to have one on my team, even though they have so many weaknesses. I wish they would just, buff up the whole type really.

- ...eh. That's all I can think of.

Starters:

Gen1: I had Yellow Version; I chose Bulbasaur in FRLG because he has an advantage against the first 3 gyms (I count resisting Electric as an advantage). Fuck Charmander, that overrated POS

Gen2: Totodile in Silver, Cyndaquil in HGSS

Gen3: Chose Torchic. Getting both OR and AS, gonna choose Mudkip and Treeko just to say I got all 3

Gen4: Chose Chimchar

Gen5: Didn't play lol

Gen6: Chose Fennekin in my main playthough, chose Froakie in my alternate playthrough.

Analysis: I mainly went with a Fire type to begin the game except in gen 1 because of my hatred for the Charmander line. I avoided Grass types like the plague; mainly because Electric types take care of Water types, and Water types take care of Ground and Rock types. Grass simply has poor coverage.

Gameplay Tendencies:

My starter stays on the team at all times. I never went away from this because the main playthrough of a Pokemon isn't so complex that team deviation is necessary. Of course, this tendency was completely destroyed when I played Reborn (Typhlosion simply can't get it done after beating Serra)

Whenever I played HGSS, the Pidgey, Zubat, and Mareep lines were always a part of my team at some point

I opted for using HM slaves as opposed to putting "useless" HMs on my team members. This ended up being a disadvantage in a game like HGSS when you need multiple different HMs to battle Red

If I don't think that a Pokemon will be useful, I simply won't use one. In my X playthough, I beat the first 2 gyms while only using three total Pokemon; I'd sooner play man down than play with dead weight.

I always buy at least 3 awakenings and poison heals in the first town. Even if your Pokemon don't faint from poison out of battle anymore, and even if sleep only lasts 3 turns max now, my childhood memories of having team members faint on the way from Viridian Forest and that damn Jigglypuff trainer on the way to Mt Moon have scarred me.

I got the Pidgeot statue in Sapphire completing all of the contests (got the trainer star too), I beat all of the PokeAthalon events in SS (didn't break all of the records though), and I spent damn near 6 hours of playthough time farming Battle Chateau trainers in X (before beating the E4).

Since HGSS, all of my pre-E4 playthroughs take 40+ hours

My highest leveled and lowest leveled team members have to be within 5 levels on one another

Gen 1 Starter: Squirtle. All the way.

Gen 2 Starter: Cyndaquil- I don't like the other ones.

Gen 3: Mudkip. Favourite starter ever.

Gen 4: Piplup or Chimchar

Gen 5: Snivy, because he's the coolest (I didn't like the starters of this gen much...) Snivy is also the first grass starter I used that made it to the E4.

Gen 6: Fenniken. Omochikaeri!!!

Never used repels until recently, I'm now addicted, however.

I have a tendency of keeping my starter in it's first stage, unless I have a need to evolve it (which is rare)

I can't have more than one pokemon of the same type on my team

As soon as I get leppa berries I start planting them, having been traumatized from a nuzlock I did on Pokemon Emerald. I was at the E4 and just about to win but I ran out of pp and lost. I. Was. So. mad.

I have a bit of OCD when it comes to natures. I don't care too much when it comes to EV's.

I hate bug types and I always viewed them as annoying. Also dislike rock, grass and ground types

Can't nickname a pokemon. Every time I do I generally get annoyed/ think it's stupid and go back to change it to the default xD

I always try to complete every side quest. So this includes contests, battle frontier, pokathelon and trading with every in game character that I can. (Ect)

Even at the E4 I still have about 10 regular potions on me because it really irritates me to see a little sliver of damage on my pokemon before moving on but it pains me to use a hyper potion on it.

I'm REALLLLLLLLLYYYY lazy, so I cut corners and just try to get on with playthrough, so, I skip as many trainers as I can and then curse and complain when my pokemon are under leveled. Then I complain when when I run into them 'years' later and am challenged to a fight with pokemon 30 levels lower than mine.

I loathe the move flash and will absolutely not use it. So. Um. This results in me having to look up maps of a cave in order to progress (That or try winging it)

I must, absolutely must catch every legendary pokemon I encounter in a premier ball. I think this is mainly because I feel they need a specific purpose. So, I also normally have a butt load of pokeballs as a result, but I normally use them throughout the game because I think they are the most aesthetically pleasing. I don't use the legendaries though.

I also have a need to get 10 (at least) of every pokeball, potion and status/ health restorer (that one could easily buy). I like looking in my medicine bag and seeing assorted items xD

Looks fun

Gen 1: Well first I chose Charmander but then after getting destroyed by Gary(which my friends called shitcock I had no idea what it meant and why they found it so funny) and chose Squirtle instead

Gen 2: Never played Gen 2 don't eally plan to

Gen 3: Mudkip, yes I like Mudkips

Gen 4: Turtwig I like turtles

Gen 5: I never played Gen 5

Gen 6: I never played Gen 6 either

I am god awful at giving pokemon nicknames, the first pokemon I ever had my Mudkip was named Kipt because I didn't know how to nickname pokemon and typed in some random stuff.

Some other nicknames I had were Dragon the Salamence, Acient the Cradily, and Pheonix the Moltress I also sucked at spelling.

I was one of those people that only used like 1 pokemon on his team, in my first ever pokemon game my team was my Swampert, Salmence, and Groundon and I only got Salamence after I beat every single gym leader.

When I was playing Emerald I was once offered a lvl 100 shiny pokemon of my choice for letting my friends borrow my link cable so often, guess who I chose? Shiny Lvl 100 Omanyte Lord Helix ftw.

Speaking of shinys I once tried out shiny hunting, in my firered I set A to R, bought a ton of coins from the Game Corner, and kept buying Abras by spamming R. I spent five days spamming R before I finally got a shiny Abra. After that I tried to catch a shiny Caterpie but my fingers felt like they were going to break and I gave up on the whole thing.

I have found three shinys while playing emerald, A shiny tentacool which I killed cause my Machop crit with a low kick, a shiny Aipom in the Safari Zone which I caught using a gold Pokeblock, and a shiny shuppet.

When I first played pokemon I thought setting up moves like dragon dance, tail whip and growl didn't do anything yea that led to a lot of trouble later on.

I also found Pokerus in Emerald and accidentally clicked through the dialogue that nurse Joy gives when you get except for disease so I thought all my pokemon were going to die.

I prefer not to use pokemon I've in the past or pokemon that everyone uses, that's why T don't use Gyrados, Gardevoir, Magnezone, Crobat, etc.

Whats a repel?

I used to grow berries a lot but kind of gave up after a while after I got a Milotic.

On an emulator for Ruby my only level 100 pokemon is Xatu.

I stopped playing pokemon for a really long time and only got back to it recently after Black and White 2 came out thats why I haven't played any of the new games.

I like Weaviles.

The statement above is false (Sorry Vinny ;) )

Edited by ShatteredSkys
  • Upvote 1

Interesting.....

Gen1,Squirtle

Gen2,Cyndaquel

Gen3,Treecko

Gen4,Chimchar

Gen5,Oshawott

Gen6,Chespin

I never nicknamed pokemon in the game, but I did in my mind,

Whenever I found a shiny like It was In early game with no pokeball or late game with just not enough pokebals to catch it.

I would always have the pokemons next gen on my team like pidgey,tailow,starly or houndoom,luxray

I would never use pikachu on mah team except for pokemon yellow but that's yellow

In pokemon crystal on the gba I taught that poliwhirl would evolve when lvl 100 while I had a water stone in the inventory,I never used it+deleted the snorlax on my brothers run I was young

I never used stats enhancing/lowering moves like dragon dance, growl (before reborn) because I wanted the extra hit/faster kill

Edited by Cornerman

Kanto: Bulbasaur.

Johto: Totodile.

Hoenn: Mudkip.

Sinnoh: Chimchar, but a tough choice. My favorite generation as far as starters go.

Unova: My least favorite generation as far as starters go :P I wouldn't say I prefer any of them to the others.

Kalos: Haven't played the game. But I did use a Protean Froakie in Reborn, so I guess I'll go with that.

Other stuff:

Edit: OH GOSH THIS IS LONGER THAN I THOUGHT ^_^

- I wouldn't expect anyone to understand, but I love diving. Yeah, that thing with the stupid HM. I hope the HM gets better, and I hope Ame gives us diving missions. Undersea bases, hidden treasures. That sort of stuff. SO MUCH POTENTIAL. I distinctly remember the first time I dived in Emerald, and I thought it was like entering some sort of temple. Everything so calm and peaceful, almost mystical. Another world, guarding its secrets for centuries, unseen by most. People living and dying for entire generations, not even suspecting that it exists. And you're entering it. COME ON, BE EXCITED.

Or not, whatever. Like I said, I wouldn't expect people to understand.

- I ususally give nicknames, which are usually stupid. But occasionally they're thoughtful and well-researched. I can't not give nicknames. I mean, can you imagine Aragorn of LOTR sending the squad in battle and going "Go! Hobbit!" or "I chose you, elf!"

- I used to use (...) HM slaves, but lately I prefer carrying as many HMs as possible, for the sake of exploration as someone put it. Deleters/relearners are a thing, so it's not as binding as in earlier games.

- I change my opinion all the time regarding my favorite region, but right now it's a tie between Hoenn and Unova.

- I stole the Berry Master's garden to grow my own crops.

- My favorite facility is the PWT, but the others are cool too.

- I suck at gen 3 and 4 biking. Seriously, I couldn't get my fossil, and I only managed to get Eartquake once. By luck, I'm sure. Or maybe the fairies did it. You know that last ledge between the player and the TM? I hate that ledge. I swear there's some trollish algorithm in that ledge whose sole purpose is to mess with the player. OK I'm done.

- I don't think I have an affinity for any particular type. If I had to chose, I'd probably say water. But that may be because you always have to use Surf. For some reason, I very rarely have Dark or Ghost types in my final team, despite the fact that some of my favorite Pokemon belong to these types. It might be because they appear later in the game. Or in the case of Ghosts, because they're rare.

(Reborn is an exception, seeing as I have to use literally everything and my team changes literally all the time. Also I have a shiny Cofagrigus, squee yeah I know nobody cares whatever.)

- I know EVs/IVs/natures don't matter in a normal run. I'll still do stupid stuff like "oh, a Magnezone? Let's not send Donphan against it, since it gives Special Attack. Let's send my *insert worse choice here*." Or I'll have a fit like "Torchic doesn't have enough speed, let's spend some time listening to music and killing Zigzagoons." I won't really EV train, but I can't completely ignore EVs. I just can't.

- Legendaries... I usually catch them and box them. I don't know why. I'm not ideologically opposed to using them or whatever. I think it's just, by the time I catch them, my team is already formed.

- I'm not a shiny hunter, but I will catch them if I find them.

Will update if I think of anything else. Edit: BECAUSE THIS POST TOTALLY NEEDS TO BE LONGER :rolleyes: Yeah, anyway.

Edited by Amber132