Development Blog

Amethyst

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Developers

Ouch. This was actually painful to read. Not in the sense that I can't play ep 14 for a while, but in the sense that nothing ever goes right does it?

Game development is both a enjoyable, and painful area, let me tell ya.

Bad news are bad but hey we can wait, not much time passed anyway. As for me it would feel "weird" to have a new episode so soon, the longer i wait the better i feel when it's out (do i make sense?)

If stuff like this happens, why bother updating to the newest version of essentials? From what I know, other than adding in animations for moves, what does this new version of essentials add that Dan can't already add by himself? It just seems a waste of time updating and fixing everything for this new version which most of its potential features won't be used or can be recreated by Dan without all the hassle. Even after you fix everything, the same thing could happen again with the next version of essentials after that.

I would just revert back to the previous version if you still can and just not update your essentials version anymore. It's clearly not worth the hassle.

I'd say it feels a lot more like "WOW LOOK AT ALL THESE THINGS THAT I FIXED THAT ARE BROKEN AGAIN!!"

Yeah, I hear that. I know you do a lot of work making things go right, but from an outside perspective it feels like there's always just one more setback waiting to happen.

If stuff like this happens, why bother updating to the newest version of essentials? From what I know, other than adding in animations for moves, what does this new version of essentials add that Dan can't already add by himself? It just seems a waste of time updating and fixing everything for this new version which most of its potential features won't be used or can be recreated by Dan without all the hassle. Even after you fix everything, the same thing could happen again with the next version of essentials after that.

I would just revert back to the previous version if you still can and just not update your essentials version anymore. It's clearly not worth the hassle.

A lot of bugfixes came with this version of essentials. Mind you, I am certainly capable of adding much of what got added here, but this guy wrote most of the code so not only is it easier for him to do it but it -should- save us time we'd have had to have spent fixing those bugs (... in theory anyway, can't have everything work immediately, that'd be too easy.)

• Administrators

There are a lot of fixes and necessary changes in v14. Here, per example, these are the main things that will be mentioned in the readme/changelist:

* The max trainer name limit has been extended to 12 (from 7)
* Added Egg Hatching animation
* The base AI has been changed. How? I don't know. But it apparently was.
* A host of animations have been fixed/added
* Hidden items must now be faced to be picked up, not stood on.
* Pokémon are now healed when the player puts them into storage.
* The Mining mini-game's hammer now only adds 2 hits per use.
* The chance of defrosting is now 20% rather than 10%.
* PP-restoring items used in battle on a single move now work.
* Battle items such as X Attack now work.
* Gender symbols now display at the nickname screen
Plus some miscellaneous move/ability/item implementations... like, Life Orb, for instance.

Most of what you've taken from the change log sounds like conveniences not necessary changes like you described. Instead of updating, why can't you just take stuff you want from the new essentials script and past it back into yours, like the new Life Orb script instead of merging the two together? That is probably why the battles are broken, your custom AI that you added in 13 is conflicting with the new essentials one.

I remember hearing the guy who made Pokemon Obsidian is on a very old version of essentials because of his custom scripts. He said he can't update because the updates mess with his scripts, forcing him to redo his scripts and test the whole game. The same thing is happening to you and will keep happening when you go to the next version and so forth.

The last update of essentials was almost a year ago, right? That was fine because that was before you implemented field effects and custom AI or anything other that was base script altering, but now you do. You're just creating unnecessary work for you guys just for a few little helpful changes. It's not worth it.

• Administrators

Our AI hasn't interfered with anything. A lot of the AI coming from the raw Essentials v14 seems to be buggy in itself-- none of the changes I've made should have an effect on that. Presumably Maruno will correct this in future releases too. A lot of the field stuff has conflicted though, yes, because Maruno restructured the variables and some methods in the battle scripts, so a bit of our stuff had to be rewritten to fit. That's not the sort of thing that will happen every update though.

As for why we can't just take the bits we need- for something like Life Orb, sure, that would be super easy. But by contrast something like fixing the X Items- we're not really sure what part of that entire class of items was broken in the first place so we'd really just be guessing which bit of relevant code we need to copy over, and if that code happens to call to a method or variable added/changed in 14 then we might not pick up on that, or even if we do it might entail basically doing half the work that Maruno has already done for his release, over again. No bueno.

Believe me, when I was told Essentials 14 came out I was surprised, horrified, and more than ready to toss it to the side deeming it #not worth. Unfortunately the actual change list for 14 is much much longer and, regrettably, I felt it was necessary. I mean, c'mon, I don't wanna make extra work for myself either, but ultimately the quality of the resulting game is more important than how much time or work goes into it.

Our AI hasn't interfered with anything. A lot of the AI coming from the raw Essentials v14 seems to be buggy in itself-- none of the changes I've made should have an effect on that. Presumably Maruno will correct this in future releases too. A lot of the field stuff has conflicted though, yes, because Maruno restructured the variables and some methods in the battle scripts, so a bit of our stuff had to be rewritten to fit. That's not the sort of thing that will happen every update though.

As for why we can't just take the bits we need- for something like Life Orb, sure, that would be super easy. But by contrast something like fixing the X Items- we're not really sure what part of that entire class of items was broken in the first place so we'd really just be guessing which bit of relevant code we need to copy over, and if that code happens to call to a method or variable added/changed in 14 then we might not pick up on that, or even if we do it might entail basically doing half the work that Maruno has already done for his release, over again. No bueno.

Believe me, when I was told Essentials 14 came out I was surprised, horrified, and more than ready to toss it to the side deeming it #not worth. Unfortunately the actual change list for 14 is much much longer and, regrettably, I felt it was necessary. I mean, c'mon, I don't wanna make extra work for myself either, but ultimately the quality of the resulting game is more important than how much time or work goes into it.

Fair enough. The point I wanted to get across is don't update unless the changes are absolutely necessary, and after looking at the actual changelog for essentials, I can understand why you think that way.

Fixed that one for you. Seriously though, at the end of the day, while feedback is valued, no-one can make that call except the devs.

I was going to say it was my opinion, but I don't think that was necessary considering that whole post was opinionated. I don't think that extra exposition was necessary. There is no need to make comments like that when you should know that it is my opinion.

That probably won't be an Episode 14 thing, but that doesn't seem THAT hard to implement consider there's already Mega in this game.

Things that I would say are more or less encompassed in here -- Primal Reversion is like PULSE, it's a procedure that's almost exactly mega evolution, at least code-wise. As far as other elements of the new games, considering all the fancy field effects we have, I don't foresee any major difficulties in getting those up.

Things that I would say are more or less encompassed in here -- Primal Reversion is like PULSE, it's a procedure that's almost exactly mega evolution, at least code-wise. As far as other elements of the new games, considering all the fancy field effects we have, I don't foresee any major difficulties in getting those up.

Primal Reversion forces the pokemon holding red/blue orb to primal upon entering so its not the same as mega or pulse whereby u need to Activate the evo thing